Two pieces of fruit and I'm over my daily intake of sugar!

Options
2»

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My understand of sugar and where it can cause problems is when it triggers an insulin response. Doing that too often is what tends to lead to diabetes. But, if the amount of sugar you eat is not enough to cause an insulin spike, then don't worry. Foods that are low-glycemic, like most berries, are just fine. Some natural foods do have enough sugar in them to trigger and insulin response, so you may have to do your research. I track my sugar here, but only to add up the sugar I get from sources that are not low-glycemic. Even then, it's still very hard to stay under.

There is a lot of misinformation in here. Insulin moves glucose into your cells for use. Your body always produces insulin, without it, you'd be dead. There's always an "insulin response" going on for every meal, because... the food is digested turned into glucose and it has to go somewhere, either muscle cells, or fat cells.

The point don't pay attention to sugar, unless you have a reason to. And even if you think you have a reason to, you probably really don't.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    This is completely normal. Just count the extra sugar as carbs, and stay within your carb goals for the total.

By the way, there is no such thing as good carbs and bad carbs. The good things about fruit are the vitamins and the fiber. The sugar in fruit is no better and no worse than having candy or white flour. So if you're diabetic and MUST restrict carbs, you might need to restrict fruit.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my sugar. There is a limit for a reason. Also, be careful of dried fruit, many have added sugar.
  • link136937
    Options
    drop the dried mango, and add something fresh in its place.
  • Melissa_day
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! Don't worry I don't eat loads of dried mango , was only using it as an example but I will definitely keep that in mind! :):)