Can't do pushups :( Suggestions?

Options
No matter how hard i try i struggle i just can't do them.. i'm not even doing ['the regular ones it's the easier ones. I'm doing the 30 day shred and last time i did the 30 day shred it took me about 2 weeks in to just get by doing them. I just find them too hard..

Any suggestions?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Google elevated push ups, wall push ups, etc. They will get you started. Planks helped me a lot. Lifting heavy has also improved my upper body strength. Good luck. If I can do them - anyone can! :wink:
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    get "Body By You", a book by Mark Lauren, author of "you are your own gym" (the bible of body weight exercise.

the book literally guides people who cannot even do ONE push up on the floor (like myself) or one pull up, one squat, etc, on a safe and fun program to build to strength to eventually do those moves.

BOdy by You. i am one my second week of the program. i have seen strength gains ALREADY. GET NOW!!!!! best fitness book
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    get "Body By You", a book by Mark Lauren, author of "you are your own gym" (the bible of body weight exercise.

the book literally guides people who cannot even do ONE push up on the floor (like myself) or one pull up, one squat, etc, on a safe and fun program to build to strength to eventually do those moves.

BOdy by You. i am one my second week of the program. i have seen strength gains ALREADY. GET NOW!!!!! best fitness book

Agreed here. Most of the best fitness programs out there only come in book format, not on some DVD. If you're serious about wanting to see progress you'll pick them up. Mark Lauren is no joke. His workouts WORK.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Google elevated push ups, wall push ups, etc.

This. After you can do 15 wall push ups then start moving down. From the wall go to a weight bench of use a sturdy chair. From there go down lower to an aerobic step. Then to the floor with knees down, then finally "man" push ups. Stick with it, you will get there.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Start with elevated pushups and work your way down. The only way to get better at pushups is to actually do them consistently. I found when I stopped doing them, my arm strength reverted pretty quickly.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    the answer to your question is actuelly really simple......................keep trying, don't stop until you can do them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard i try i struggle i just can't do them.. i'm not even doing ['the regular ones it's the easier ones. I'm doing the 30 day shred and last time i did the 30 day shred it took me about 2 weeks in to just get by doing them. I just find them too hard..

Any suggestions?

just keep trying!

so this week every other day you do one, then next week every other day you do 2, build it up like that. it just takes practice and persistance.

agree that planks and other stuff to strengthen your core will help too.
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I will definitely look into getting that book, and will start with wall pushups in the mean time and try all the advice you all have given me.

Thanks alot i really appreciate the help and advice. :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    You are hardly alone! I did 30 DS last night and the only thing I couldn't do through the whole thing was the push ups. Managed about 3 real ones and 10 modified. Didn't even go down for the second set.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    are you doing any other strength training?

If not, that is probably the problem. You really need to strengthen your arms, shoulders, chest, etc and then you will be able to start doing pushups.

compound lifts work best in building strength - bench press, over head press, deadlifts, squats, pull ups/chin ups, etc...

Learn these from home, or join a gym and have a trainer show them to you and you will be on your way...
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
  • LarDoucheLar
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 30 day shred have done it twice before for two weeks and it involves a little strength training i can only manage 2x 1.1kg dumbbells.. which i know isn't alot but i struggle with them as it is.

I'll try all of those things you have suggested and try come up with some order to do them in that's comfy to me. Thankyou :)
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I like that idea.. going to try it. Thanks!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What if you can't due them due to joint issues - shoulder for example. What other exercises are there that will get the same results?
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Push ups are the hardest thing for me. When I did the 30-day shred, I did wall push ups at first.
    I still can't do too many regular push ups but I am working on it.... slowly.

Keep at it, it does get better.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just finished 30 day shred, but before moving on I decided to go through the levels one time again. In level 2, I decided to try the walking push-up! And, I can do it! I've been doing modified push-ups since the get-go. I knew I was getting stronger, but I didn't realize how much.
    So, it can happen! You've been given good advice here.
  • LarDoucheLar
    Options
    Thankyou i'm gonna try today :)
  • LarDoucheLar
    Options
    Thankyou everyone i just did the 30 day shred workout and replace modified pushups with wall pushups and it seemed to go alot better :) i first i could only manage 12 or so without my muscles burning.

Thanks for all the great advice i'm going to stick to it :)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Theres no special methods.
    As you build upper body strength, you will find pushups easier.
    Therefore don't just focus on pushups but other upper body exercises too.