ebay

Options
has anyone ever sold anything on ebay? I have a blue suede prom dress and a burgundy with gold bridesmaid dress that I want to sell. Now I see that people are telling me it is better to have people to bid then to pay the amount that I am asking for. Once I do sell it does it go to my bank account or paypal account?...The reason why I ask that is if I do sell it and it goes to paypal account then it will take three days to get the money out of paypal transfer it to my account then I can mail it out.

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Will go into PayPal. Here in the UK it goes into your bank account within 2 hours!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I sell on Ebay all the time, you mail the item out when the payment has cleared in your Paypal account, what you do with the money after that, transfer it your bank accout or let it sit in Paypal to spend online is up to you. I keep some mad money in my Paypal to spend on online purchases- I can even use it for payment in some retail stores. Word of advice- If you don't have any feedback from buying on Ebay it might be hard to sell since most people don't trust people with few feedbacks. Also put a reserve price on it if you do an auction, I like Buy it Now better myself. You have to price it reasonably, check out similar items and see what they have sold for.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can pay for shipping out of your Paypal account, so you don't have to wait for it to clear your bank account. Plus if you wait that long, you'd probably get bad feedback.

Depending on how big of a city you live in, I'd try posting it on Craigslist first. Then you don't have to pay any fees, or dealing with shipping, etc.

Good luck!
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    They're probably saying that because the Buy It Now listings tend to cost a couple cents whereas the Auction style listing is usually free. You could try starting it at a very high bid. Or do the Buy It Now or reserve price is a good idea but they may cost you a couple cents to do that. Make sure you agree with the potential fee before you list it (which is usually under a dollar).

Once the winner pays for it, it shows up on your Paypal and you can use it for postage immediately (unless your account is not in good standing with eBay for other reasons then there's a hold). From Paypal you have the choice to leave it there or transfer the money to your bank account. And the bank account transfer takes about 3-5 days.
  • Addictedtodamon
    Options
    You can pay for shipping out of your Paypal account, so you don't have to wait for it to clear your bank account. Plus if you wait that long, you'd probably get bad feedback.

Depending on how big of a city you live in, I'd try posting it on Craigslist first. Then you don't have to pay any fees, or dealing with shipping, etc.

Good luck!

I posted it on craigslist and noone responded. But I posted that I was selling my car and I had over 17 responded back in two days. I know it is the prom season now so I'm trying to hurry it up.
  • Addictedtodamon
    Options
    They're probably saying that because the Buy It Now listings tend to cost a couple cents whereas the Auction style listing is usually free. You could try starting it at a very high bid. Or do the Buy It Now or reserve price is a good idea but they may cost you a couple cents to do that. Make sure you agree with the potential fee before you list it (which is usually under a dollar).

Once the winner pays for it, it shows up on your Paypal and you can use it for postage immediately (unless your account is not in good standing with eBay for other reasons then there's a hold). From Paypal you have the choice to leave it there or transfer the money to your bank account. And the bank account transfer takes about 3-5 days.

how can you mail it with your paypal account? I have to go to post office and ask them questions
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options

how can you mail it with your paypal account? I have to go to post office and ask them questions

I just pay online, and print the label. Your ebay account can bring you right to USPS, and you can enter all the info.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You have to either use a flat rate box or know the weight of your package to prepay for your postage- since I sell a lot I have a postage scale, cost about 20 to 25 bucks. When you use Ebay to print out postage your delivery confirmation is free and I HIGHLY reccommend getting delivery confirmation so you have proof the package was delivered. Most people are honest but there a few out there trying to get things for free. You can list again on Craigslist and keep updating it since many people only check the most recent listings, then if you do have it on Ebay you can pull the listing if it sold on Craigslist, but you would have to check your listings frequently and end the Ebay ASAP if it sold on Craigslist. Another possible option would be on Facebook. In my area there is a local yard sale page that people list their stuff on, maybe your area has a similar thing?
  • Addictedtodamon
    Options
    that is very intresting....I will have to try posting it on fb too. I didn't know that ebay has that option with paypal that you can pay. My first time so thats why I am asking so many questions. Thank you for your help. all of you.