Not sure about how often to weight myself

Options
I find myself usually weighing myself every morning, before eating or drinking anything, but it's so discouraging when I don't see any weight loss! Should I weight myself every other day? Every week? How often do you weight yourself?

Replies

• elizabethbeegle
    Options
    Personly once a week.
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't.

Or I try not to, and if I have to I weigh once a week, on the same day, in the morning, after I've had a wee and in underwear.

the tape measure is my bestest buddy, one week the scale said I had put on 4lbs but I had lost inches everywhere!

xxx
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Once a week in the morning.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. Friday morning. :) I used to do everyday and like you, would get upset if it went up.
  • e_is_for_erin
    e_is_for_erin Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also have the habit of weighing myself every morning and am trying diligently to stop doing that because I also get disappointed if I don't see progress. I've read/heard in order to get a more accurate reading to do it once a week, on the same day at the same time, and wearing the same clothes.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find myself usually weighing myself every morning, before eating or drinking anything, but it's so discouraging when I don't see any weight loss! Should I weight myself every other day? Every week? How often do you weight yourself?

Being a scale watcher myself I can relate to the need "to see the numbers move". It is generally recommended to weigh yourself once a week, on the same day, at the same time, preferably in the morning before eating. I stick this method. :flowerforyou:
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am VERY new here, so take this as newbie advice....

I wouldn't weigh every day, basically because my weight tends to fluctuate 2 to 3 pounds in a day's time for some unknown reason.

I've decided that I'm going to weigh and measure once a week, I've chosen Monday morning, before breakfast....

It is frustrating to hop on the scale and see no results (or sometime in my case, a gain) when it's just the fluctuation (maybe it's water retention on some days, I really don't know).

Anyway, now I'm just going by how I feel...
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I don't get discouraged when it's up a pound or two or it's not changing. If you get easily discouraged then probably a weekly weigh in at the same time each week is better for you.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    once a month or so if that, your just living your life in a new style, change will be gradual.

good luck
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you rely on that number. I weigh every day. I learned a lot about that number weighing every day. I learned that there are numerous, numerous things that affect that number and that number doesn't tell you WHAT you are losing.

But if you feel like weighing every day might make you obsess on the numbers then don't. The number is good for measuring progress and you will see more progress if you don't weigh every day.

Do what feels right to YOU. Isn't that what is most important?
  • Brads2ndLife
    Options
    I don't.

Or I try not to, and if I have to I weigh once a week, on the same day, in the morning, after I've had a wee and in underwear.

the tape measure is my bestest buddy, one week the scale said I had put on 4lbs but I had lost inches everywhere!

xxx

I love the tape measure best too. And tracking Body Fat %. I'm just as happy to turn a pound of fat into Lean Body Mass as I am to drop a pound on the scales.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Once a week
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Every.Single.Day.

No but seriously, whatever you want. Just don't freak out when you see the scale jump 2 pounds in 1 day. More than likely you didnt take down an extra 7000 calories the day before. =)
  • dbernard5772
    Options
    I like to weigh myself everyday, but it really only counts on my weekly day. So I only record once a week and my daily weigh-ins are just there to help me say to myself either, "Woe, I need to be really good today," or "Wow, I'm doing awesome, let's kick this weight thing in the butt today."
  • Angeldach
    Angeldach Posts: 56
    Options
    I weighed myself once a week only figure out that I lost.6 lbs and the next week gained 2. I started the 30DS program, so I plan to weigh myself at the end of 10 days along with measuring.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I was finding myself with the same problem! I kept the scale under my bed, so I was rolling out of bed each a.m. - and pulling the scale out and immediately stepping on it. Then, when I got home from work each night before bed, I'd do the same thing. It was a constant struggle. Feel like sometimes I used it as an excuse to stray - like, "Oh yeah? Up a pound since this a.m.? I'll show you!" - and then have the next day be a total off day. Clearly, hurting no one but myself.

Once I realized this way of doing things was jacking with me - I stepped on the scale 1x on March 1st - and gave the scale to my mom to hide from me. Worked like a dream! I spent that month not stressing over #'s, or using the #'s as an excuse to "do bad" - I just did....what I know to do. Eat well rounded, healthy foods, move a bit more, drink more water, etc - all the things I could do without the stress of "THE NUMBER" hanging over my head day to day.

April 1st, I got on the scale and I was 4lbs down. That is EXACTLY how I have MFP set - that is w/o being a slave to the log in process every day (i average about every other day) - and that is with out the stress most importantly lol.

So I would highly recommend 1x a month - it's worked for me so far. :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Every day here. Wake, pee, weight. I love to see the fluctuations. They don't bother me a bit. I learn from them. Just this morning I was up 2 pounds and I know exactly why, I was over sodium yesterday by 1500. It will be gone soon.

I record on MFP and another app on my phone that shows trends.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself every day. Actually I weigh myself 2x a day, morning and night, and take measurements once a month.. I'm not obsessed about it, and if I forget it's no big deal. I've found that it reminds me that there will be those daily fluctuations, and if I get frustrated and don't see daily or weekly progress I can still look back and see general progress. More importantly, it keeps me mindful so I don't just fall back into old unhealthy habits.
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great responses! I guess since I am a total newbie here, I will just start out weighing weekly so I don't get so discouraged with all the daily fluctuations. I will try that and see how it goes from here! Hope everyone has a great weekend too! :bigsmile:
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Funny I should see this post... I was reading an article the other day re: this. They said on average people who weigh themselves every morning when they 1st wake up, lose an average of 12 pounds every 2 years, where people who only do once a week on avg. lose 6 lbs.... they say the daily weigh in keeps you in check, and also allows you to see on a daily basis what foods you ate the day before had a positive/negative effect on your weight, and then you can gear your eating habits better.
    I personally do every morning 1st thing.... I sometimes become obsessed and let that # predict how my mood for the day is... not always good :( So I sometimes do weekly (like if I were going to weight watchers or something) this way, I challenge myself throughout the week to hit a reasonalbe goal & then build the excitement/will power toward that. Just like your exercise program, I feel you have to switch other things up every now 'n then. Whatever works for ya!!