Is a gluten free diet good for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Diarrhea and/or constipation - Focus on what you eat, it might not just be gluten...fried foods does this to me

Abdominal pain and/or heartburn - See above,

Bloating - Sodas....

Fatigue - Exercise, eat right, and get proper sleep. Could also be caused by dehydration.

Brain fog - Get proper sleep.

Anemia - Check your iron levels.

Joint pain - Are you getting enough calcium?

Rashes - Most of the time it is reactions to materials cloths are made out of or the detergant you have used.

Depression and/or anxiety - linked to sleep, and is linked to exercise

Inability to lose weight - Calorie in, calorie out

Inability to gain weight - Eat more

Teeth problems (yellow and frequent cavities even when you brush and floss all the time) - What are you eating? Are you eating something very acidic? And unless you are brushing after ever pot of coffee or every cigarette then you will still get cavities and dying of teeth.

Psoriasis, eczema, hives or skin rashes - See "rashes" above

Missed periods (seems to be more prevalent in pcos women too) - PCOS, or have you just started a new exercise program. Is there stress in your life? All contributing factors

Being super itchy - See "rashes" above

I would consider all those before paying for expensive tests. While some have gluten intolerances, more often than not it is other facts that cause problems in our lives and can easily be fixed, and most of the time it is with R&R believe it or not. Gluten free has fallen into the "fad" catagory for me. If there is something wrong with anyone the first thing someone jumps to is gluten, when in reality it could just be something as simple as giving up sodas or getting enough sleep.

Celiac Disease runs in the family, it is hereditary. I have most of these symptoms and have been tested. I do not have Celiac and am not on a gluten free diet.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The gluten free diet is for people who have allergies or health problems that prevent them from being able to eat gluten. It has not been scientifically proven to have ANY negative or positive effect for people who do not have health problems that force them to omit gluten from their diet.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    No. Gluten free diet is not for weight loss, its for people who cannot digest it. Gluten free has nothing to do with losing weight. WHy do people think that? there is no point unless you are gluten intolerant to do a gluten free diet. Coming from someone who has Celiac disease.
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What loses weight is a Calorie deficit. There is no magic diet. Eat sensibly,exercise and create a deficit. If you need to exclude gluten due to intolerance Tec do so but it's no magic bullet regarding weghtloss.

Bottom line!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet it's a condition some people have, suffering from gluten- filled products
  • anorrisdyer
    anorrisdyer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 year old son that was diagnosed with Celiacs Disease in September of last year. Due to the extent of his illness and allergy (rashes, severe stomach pains, behavior issues) we cannot have any gluten in the house. So, the entire family has gone Glulten-Free. Honestly, it was the BEST thing for my middle son - he is Autistic and Bipolar. The change in diet reduced two meds he was on, and he lost 25 pounds in a few months time! He is happier and healthier. My 16 year old daughter lost 15 pounds - now, none of them workout to any extent - but they lost the weight just by eating GF.

It is not for everyone - and my boyfried still tried to sneak foods into the house that have Gluten in them, but he has learned to keep them in the car if he wants them - I cannot have them in the house, as he breaks out in rashes from the slightest contact with Gluten.

I also lost some weight by cutting gluten - although, I can get it at work during the day, or if we go out to dinner at night.

Yes, it can help you lose weight. It will not hurt you at all. It will actually make you feel better too.

^This. I lost 25 lbs in 3 weeks when my doctor suggested I stopped gluten. Due to the severity of my reaction to it, we are not putting me back on gluten in order to do the celiac test... it would not be worth it.

GF dieting can help a lot of people, as so many people eat way too many high-gluten items and load too many carbs into their diet. However, I know people who have tried it with no medical reason and have gained weight because they replace the gluten breads with GF breads, etc, and in most cases ate more than they did before because they thought it was healthier.

If you are trying GF, great, but be aware of how much you are eating...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    There's no advantage or disadvantage unless you have a medical need for it.
    509745816273b2d2d3dd970e59b377fe_zps1d594133.jpg
  • aumint
    aumint Posts: 19
    Options
    Eating gluten free doesn't mean you will lose weight. If the diet is done right then you will be eating healthier foods that can aid in your weight loss when you cut your calorie intake. Honestly, most people gain weight when they first go gluten free because they try to replace everything with "GF certified" products, which is fine unless they are carb based foods. Most gluten free cookies/cakes/breads/muffins/mixes etc... are actually higher in calories and carbs than regular wheat based products, though there are some exceptions (Udi's gluten free bread is the best I have found for a quick bread replacement for example).

I'm not a celiac, but my doctor did diagnose me as having a gluten intolerance. When I first went gluten free I actually gained about 10 pounds, but once I settled in and did my research everything got better. I just eat produce, meats, beans, nuts, the occasional GF oats (Bob's red mill), and rice/quinoa/chia. I do also supplement with a gluten free high protein bar because I cross-train extensively, which is pretty much the only true packaged/processed "food" I eat (though I just found a nice recipe to make my own!) That being said, I have also lost 21 pounds after figuring this diet out, but it's only because I watch my calorie intake and being gluten free AIDED me in eating healthier. Also, my expenditure is usually between 400 to 700cal a day depending on my exercise .

Not to preach, but I'm actually thankful that I can't eat gluten anymore. Mentally I have never felt better, it's amazing how it can affect a person.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Diarrhea and/or constipation - Focus on what you eat, it might not just be gluten...fried foods does this to me

Bloating - Sodas....

Fatigue - Exercise, eat right, and get proper sleep. Could also be caused by dehydration.

Rashes - Most of the time it is reactions to materials cloths are made out of or the detergant you have used.

Teeth problems (yellow and frequent cavities even when you brush and floss all the time) - What are you eating? Are you eating something very acidic? And unless you are brushing after ever pot of coffee or every cigarette then you will still get cavities and dying of teeth.

Missed periods (seems to be more prevalent in pcos women too) - PCOS, or have you just started a new exercise program. Is there stress in your life? All contributing factors

I would consider all those before paying for expensive tests. While some have gluten intolerances, more often than not it is other facts that cause problems in our lives and can easily be fixed, and most of the time it is with R&R believe it or not. Gluten free has fallen into the "fad" catagory for me. If there is something wrong with anyone the first thing someone jumps to is gluten, when in reality it could just be something as simple as giving up sodas or getting enough sleep.

Sigh, did you miss the post that I have been tested and diagnosed? All of these things went away immediately after I stopped eating gluten. I honestly dont feel the need to justify this to you because it is 100% linked to gluten with me. But Ill humor you

Diarrhea and/or constipation - 100% linked to gluten no other issues

Abdominal pain and/or heartburn - GERDs which is common in gluten sensitivity. It died down at least by half since I am gluten free./low gluten

Bloating - Sodas....I drink soda maybe once a week and I end up throwing half of it away

Fatigue - Exercise, eat right, and get proper sleep. I eat right, I exercise all the time I am ONLY very tired if I eat gluten

Brain fog - Get proper sleep. I have no issues with sleep anymore and only have brain fog eating gluten

Anemia - Check your iron levels. Linked to gluten, I take vitamins

Joint pain - I have sacroiliac joint dysfunction- again some gluten sensitivity people have joint issues

Rashes - Most of the time it is reactions to materials cloths are made out of or the detergent you have used. No allergies. Gluten.

Depression and/or anxiety - linked to sleep, and is linked to exercise- Sigh...nope not this one either

I exercise 6 days a week and burn around 100 HRM calories a day and eat right. There is no reason why I shouldnt have lost weight until, surprise surprise I went off gluten and I lost weight Sighhhhhhhhhhhh This is so dumb explaining this to you.

Inability to gain weight - Eat more....I know a TON of people who have this issue and eat all the time. Why dont you try saying that to them

I have cavity issues, my dentist bill is crazy. I brush 2 times a day and floss after every single meal. My teeth arnt yellow.

Psoriasis, eczema, hives or skin rashes - See "rashes" above-This has a bunch of scientific studies backing this. But I guess you think you know better. SMH

Linked to gluten issues in studies.

Being super itchy - See "rashes" above -Linked ot gluten issue. I havent had ANY issues when I stopped gluten

How about you look at these studies and then give your feedback and stop trying to invalidate something you obviously know nothing about.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    No,no,no,no. Gluten free should only be for thiose with celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. We have to eat like this the rest of our life not until we lose the pounds we want. It may actually make you gain weight as a lot of gluten free processed foods are high in calories.

no no no

I have gone mostly gluten free. By this I mean, I will have a pizza or some pasta once in a while and if there is an entree with a small piece of bread I won't freak out. It's called being human and being adaptable.

I can say 100% gluten free has been great for me. I have more energy, less uncomfortable stomach pains, and have lost weight for the first time in forever (of course there are other factors in relation to that). I have tested it actually and seen how I feel after pasta, and I can tell you the next day my stomach hates me.

I think there is a lot of information around out there, but if you are Anglo-Saxon there is a much higher chance of you having celiac or some for of intolerance and in my personal case I did see how I had an intolerance to gluten, and the change has made me much happier :)
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am Gluten-Intolerant so have many GF foods in my home. My children eat them (as they like them better then the gluten ingredient foods) and I have this to comment:

The competitive swimmers feels more energetic during a 2 hour practice and recovers quicker from a strenuous dry-land session and the competitive soccer player has more energy during a game/practice and as well she suffers from Vaso-Vagal Syncope (with seizures) and has had NO EPISODES in the 8 weeks (not even a dizzy or light-headed moment.....and that was almost DAILY)

I wouldn't say GF is a diet to lose weight....I would recommend it as a lifestyle change if you feel better once you have omitted it. My girls still have gluten ingredients occassionally however 90% of their diet is GF. Neither has "lost weight" nor did I when I switched to GF (and I don't eat many GF processed foods)

Bottom line is do what works for YOU. If you feel better off gluten then remain GF but it's NOT a diet!!!!!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Bloating - Sodas....

Sigh, did you miss the post that I have been tested and diagnosed? All of these things went away immediately after I stopped eating gluten. I honestly dont feel the need to justify this to you because it is 100% linked to gluten with me. But Ill humor you

Diarrhea and/or constipation - 100% linked to gluten no other issues

Abdominal pain and/or heartburn - GERDs which is common in gluten sensitivity. It died down at least by half since I am gluten free./low gluten

Bloating - Sodas....I drink soda maybe once a week and I end up throwing half of it away

Fatigue - Exercise, eat right, and get proper sleep. I eat right, I exercise all the time I am ONLY very tired if I eat gluten

Brain fog - Get proper sleep. I have no issues with sleep anymore and only have brain fog eating gluten

Anemia - Check your iron levels. Linked to gluten, I take vitamins

Joint pain - I have sacroiliac joint dysfunction- again some gluten sensitivity people have joint issues

Rashes - Most of the time it is reactions to materials cloths are made out of or the detergent you have used. No allergies. Gluten.

Depression and/or anxiety - linked to sleep, and is linked to exercise- Sigh...nope not this one either

I exercise 6 days a week and burn around 100 HRM calories a day and eat right. There is no reason why I shouldnt have lost weight until, surprise surprise I went off gluten and I lost weight Sighhhhhhhhhhhh This is so dumb explaining this to you.

Inability to gain weight - Eat more....I know a TON of people who have this issue and eat all the time. Why dont you try saying that to them

I have cavity issues, my dentist bill is crazy. I brush 2 times a day and floss after every single meal. My teeth arnt yellow.

Psoriasis, eczema, hives or skin rashes - See "rashes" above-This has a bunch of scientific studies backing this. But I guess you think you know better. SMH

Linked to gluten issues in studies.

Being super itchy - See "rashes" above -Linked ot gluten issue. I havent had ANY issues when I stopped gluten

How about you look at these studies and then give your feedback and stop trying to invalidate something you obviously know nothing about.

Thank you!! :drinker: these are many problems which I had solved. Number one is stomach aches, fatigue and bloating. I used to be in bed ALL WEEKEND and now I do get a little sleepy, but nothing compared to before.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    To spin this another way if you are not gluten intolerant but decide to go on a gluten free diet you will probably:

a) eliminate or vastly reduce processed carbohydrates, particularly wheat / flour based products
    b) replace them in your diet with increased protein and good fats
    c) which may help with the reduction of hunger and cravings especially if you have some level of insulin resistance
    d) meaning a more consistent calorie deficit
    e) leading to fat loss
    f) leading to a self reinforcing recipe for success.

Give it a go. If it works for you cool beans.

If not try something esle.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have gone mostly gluten free. By this I mean, I will have a pizza or some pasta once in a while and if there is an entree with a small piece of bread I won't freak out. It's called being human and being adaptable.

[/quote]

I will not every once in awhile eat something with gluten in it. I do freak out because I know the consequences. I'm not going to have pizza or pasta and know that in a few minutes i'll be in pain and look like i'm 9months pregnant because I get very bloated. It's not worth it! If there is a small entree with a piece of bread it's called "cross contamination" and while I cook 100% gluten free for me when I go out there's no telling and cross contamination will get you every time. Those that are just going gluten free just to lose weight can be "adaptable."
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is has recently gone gluten free and she lost 10 lbs in 2 months with out doing a thing.
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    It's the quantity of foods you eat that will be effective, doens't matter what they are. A gluten-free diet is no healthier than any other food regimen, and is only necessary if you have a sensitivity to gluten.

The no-processed food approach is good, though. But log what you eat.

Exactly what this lady (Melanie....my name also:) said, I am kinda proof of that, I have been on a totally grain free diet and NO processed foods (unless I process them myself, such as milk into yogurt or ground meat into sausage) for the past two years (for Crohn's disease), and though I was already overweight when I began the diet and lost weight in the first two or three weeks of the diet, I now find it quite easy to put on weight if I dont exercise and watch what I eat. My reason for being here. So, again, exactly as quoted above!! No matter what food you eat, you need a calorie deficit to loose weight (also stated many times above). Good luck with both!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    To spin this another way if you are not gluten intolerant but decide to go on a gluten free diet you will probably:

a) eliminate or vastly reduce processed carbohydrates, particularly wheat / flour based products
    b) replace them in your diet with increased protein and good fats
    c) which may help with the reduction of hunger and cravings especially if you have some level of insulin resistance
    d) meaning a more consistent calorie deficit
    e) leading to fat loss
    f) leading to a self reinforcing recipe for success.

Give it a go. If it works for you cool beans.

If not try something esle.

Could not have said it better!
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Eliminating a particular food out of any other reason than medical necessity isn't going to make you lose more weight.

Consuming fewer calories than your body burns in a given day will make you lose weight.

I am gluten free because I can't eat gluten. I honestly can say that I would not ever give it up if I had the option.

I discovered my gluten allergy/intolerance after I shed the bulk of my weight and I actually gained some weight back because, well, a lot of gluten-free alternatives are actually higher calorie (not to mention ridiculously more expensive) than their traditional counterparts.

Eat a nutritionally balanced diet of whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, and plenty of fruits and veggies. If you find there's a food you feel better when you avoid it, then avoid it, but don't cut something out just because you think it will aid weight loss if you don't have a medical reason for doing so.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I try to be gluten-free most of the time--BUT watch out for high sugar/fat content in some "gluten-free" items. Food manufacturers sometimes dump a lot of sugar/fat into these items. I hate that! A quick fix is to make your own "gluten-free" foods.

Does eating gluten free help you lose weight---for me, it makes me aware of not scarfing down bread [my weak spot] so yes, it helps me maintain better health and weight. Is bread your weakness? Would cutting it help you lose weight? Experiment.

Good luck!
  • matisse216
    Options
    Gluten free diet is great.
    If your going to do it, make sure you go 100% gluten free or its not worth it.

40% lean meat, 40% veg, and 20% fruit is the ideal gluten free diet.
    Don't bother trying to get gluten free bread or any wheat substitutes.

I have been gluten free for a while now, and I feel absolutely amazing.
    It has cleared my skin, helped level out my weight, improved my energy and my sleep.
    Gluten actually irritates the gut, as we are not equipped to handle the amounts of gluten that we eat today.
    People don't realize how important it is to have a healthy diet and take care of your gut.

We feel all our emotions in our stomach. Thats why we get butterflies in our tummy and when something important happens our stomach can 'drop'.
    How often do you hear someone say 'i had butterflies in my leg?' or 'it was like a punch in the toe'.

Going gluten free and beginning to heal your gut is so important not only for physical health and weight, but for your overall health.
    Keeping your gut or 'second brain' as it is sometimes referred to can help with your mood, energy and happiness.

I know this first hand.
    I understand how controversial this may sound, but unless you give it a go you will never know!
    Don't you owe it to yourself? ;)

If anyone has any questions about the zero gluten diet feel free to message me as I love talking about it and helping people!