AM I DOING TO MUCH?

Just looking for some input from others on the amount of time I am spending at the gym.

Here is my typical weekly routine:
Monday 45 minutes on the arc trainer & treadmill then a 1 hour Body Pump class
Tuesday 1 hour Body Vive class, occasionally I will stay and do a 1 hour Zumba class
Wednesday is my off day (normally) but thinking of adding 1 hour Palites or 30 minute CXWOX class
Thursday 45 minutes on the arc trainer & treadmill then a 1 hour Body Combat class
Friday 1 hour Body Flow
Saturday or Sunday usually either 1 hour step & pump or 1 hour step & flow

My gym is now adding a 30 minute CXWOX class that I will add prior to my Thursday Body Combat and maybe do on Wednesday. I am seeing results but I am now plauged with a calf muscle problem. Am I pushing my body too much???

Your thoughts please.........

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Reduce your cardio by at least 50% and make three days a week lifting days.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member

Yes! Please take this advice!
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    I personally think if you can do two classes in a row you haven't tried very hard in either. No matter what your fitness level you should be pushing yourself to be tired after one.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    heck no!!!, but you should add some whiskey or vodka to that all.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    I am now plauged with a calf muscle problem. Am I pushing my body too much???

I think that answers your question. I define "too much" as "passing the point at which my body breaks".
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am now plauged with a calf muscle problem. Am I pushing my body too much???

I think that answers your question. I define "too much" as "passing the point at which my body breaks".

This really is the deciding factor.

The other is that you suddenly notice you aren't doing any workout with the same intensity.

You need to take at least one rest day, the slowly work back up to a full routine.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    What is too much for one person, isn't enough for another so it's hard to say just looking at the programs. My guess though is that you're new and thinking you'll do everything by working out more rather than focusing on your diet and being patient.

Optimally, you would be taking 1 or 2 days off a week for recovery, but you can get away with little rest for a while. It will eventually catch up to you though in the form of fatigue, or worse, injuries.

So . . . lift 3 or 4 days a week and do cardio 2 to 3 days a week. Take 1 or 2 days off for recovery. Focus on cutting your calories by 10% to 20% under TDEE and getting sufficient fat and protein.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    I would get a HRM and see where your heart rate is at any given exercise. Best way to know if you are slacking or pushing to hard IMO. I starting doing two pretty intense cardio workouts back to back and use my HRM to make sure I keep working hard.
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Trust me I am exhausted after 1 class but push myself to make it through the 2nd class.
  • peachypants
    peachypants Posts: 34 Member
    At one point (previous to having a baby and gaining a ton of weight) I kicked up my exercise to where I was burning 1000 cals plus every work out. There came a point in my career that I didn't have the time to do that 5 days a week. As soon as that happened,
    I packed on the pounds quickly. If your injuring your self, slow it down a bit. We all want the pounds to drop off quickly but it's not going to help maintain a healthy weight for life.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Are you doing all of this because you genuinely enjoy exercising or is it because you want to lose weight quickly? Are you eating enough to fuel that much activity?

This might be an interesting read for you: http://psychologyofeating.com/happy-exercise-vs-stressed-exercise-theres-a-big-metabolic-difference/

For right now, your first plan of attack should be to rest your calf muscle if you detect a problem. If you continue to strain it, you might end up not being able to do anything for a while.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member

QFT
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Since you're eating 1000 to 1300 calories a day, I would say you are exercising too much given your low caloric intake.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I personally think if you can do two classes in a row you haven't tried very hard in either. No matter what your fitness level you should be pushing yourself to be tired after one.

This ^^

As long as you are eating enough to fuel those workouts and you are not overly fatigued, there is nothing wrong with it. But you could just push yourself harder in one class and get the same or better benefits.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    I agree with th two classes thing, if you can do 45 mins cardio before a combat class your not giving it your all in combat! I think you'd be better dropping that cardio session. Body flow s great, nice relaxing and stretching so you could do cardio before that or a weight session? Have you tried body pump? That might be an excellent way to get some strength training in there?

Edit- just re read your post and noticed you do body pump already!

Personally I think you could get away with not doing the cardio before it as your getting plenty with the combat, Zumba etc. if your body is hurting then try to build in a rest day or two a week :) you could just walk on these days? Active rest?

Enjoy
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member

I agree. After one hour at the gym, I have nothing left. There is no way I would be able to do 2 classes back to back! Plus I'd rather get in, work my *kitten* off for an hour and get out... I still have a life to live!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member

I agree. After one hour at the gym, I have nothing left. There is no way I would be able to do 2 classes back to back! Plus I'd rather get in, work my *kitten* off for an hour and get out... I still have a life to live!

Step and pump work well together - I did that for ages at my old gym and never had a problem as ones cardio the other is strength. Now trying combat and pump together - that's a different scenario lol i was killed after that and wouldn't do that again!
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Are you doing all of this because you genuinely enjoy exercising or is it because you want to lose weight quickly? Are you eating enough to fuel that much activity?

This might be an interesting read for you: http://psychologyofeating.com/happy-exercise-vs-stressed-exercise-theres-a-big-metabolic-difference/

For right now, your first plan of attack should be to rest your calf muscle if you detect a problem. If you continue to strain it, you might end up not being able to do anything for a while.

Actually I am becoming to enjoy my workouts as it gets me out of the house to meet people. Also, as for weight coming off quickly, I would love that to happen but it's not coming off quickly but more slow and steady.

I have decided to cut out the Step classes as those seem to be the ones that bother my calf the most.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    *too much:smooched:
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member

Totally agree. Working out is part of my lifestyle but I have a life outside of the gym too.