diet pills

Options
13»

Replies

• robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have ( had ) a family member who used all kinda of diet pills and weight loss teas and she ended up with heart problems and died from a heart attack due to the heart problems..I would stay away from them.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    In my misguided youth, I admit to trying a few diet pills. The only one that really worked for me was Stacker 2. I lost weight, but I also got heart palpitations and massive headaches. In the States at least, Stacker was banned for a little while because the levels of ephedra they were using was caused dangerously increased heart rates and high blood pressure.

I've also tried hoodia gordonii - it's a root extract the purportedly suppresses your appetite. It really didn't do anything for me, except make me nauseous. Can't really eat if you feel sick to your stomach, so I guess it worked in a fashion.

So far, the only diet gimmick that's worked for me without making me feel faint, dizzy, nauseous or like my heart was beating a million times an hour was the Atkins diet.

my point ^^^^^
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When I was 154 pounds my doctor gave me some . I would not recommend diet pills to anyone. I had mood swings, couldn't sleep and couldn't concentrate at work, and when i did sleep i couldn't get up. Cotton mouth and zero appetite. I shriveled down to a loose water balloon with flab and sunk in face.... Never again. My family thought I was a tweaker. And 3 months later 25 pounds lighter... They stopped giving them to me, 3 months later I gained it right back. Never again.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Try some healthy alternatives like green tea :) and fish oil
  • Eshades
    Eshades Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am on a perscription for phentermine at this time and am being closely monitored by a physician. I have met with a nutritionist and been given guidelines to help me lose weight. After trying on my own for more that 3 years and not having good results and being unable to exercise due to an injury, this has made a profound positive impact on my life. :smile:

I am in the same position, I have tried for a very very long time! My first attempt at WW was when I was 17 I am now 42. I am now under a doctors care, getting thyroid levels squared away, eating healthy and yes I am taking a "helper"
  • crazylesty07
    Options
    Don't believe everything you see on the internet. If Dr. Oz is backing something, he is either being paid to do it or he fully believes in it but I guarantee it's not a "diet pill" if he believes in it. He's very anti-diet pill otherwise. There is no magic pill that will take the weight off and keep it off. I took phentermine, prescribed by my doctor, for many years and I lost a lot of weight and then doubled and tripled the weight when I went off the pills. It ended up screwing up my intestines and contributed to memory loss and stroke-like symptoms.

Most pills are not FDA approved for a reason...they're not good for your body because they aren't natural enough that the body recognizes them. The best way to lose weight, get healthy, and keep the weight off is through lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, self-fulfillment and mental state). If it's not a permenent change, you shouldn't expect to keep the weight off permenently either.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have done various pills and shakes over the years and they work great!!! Until you stop taking them.

If I stuck to their regimen, I was losing weight! But I was also starving and grumpy. And as soon as I stopped taking them, the weight would come back almost immediately. Now with diet and exercise, the weight is coming off a little slower, but I am not hungry and I am not a pain in the a** to be around.

Good luck!!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    research ACE. it's a pill but it's for appetite control and energy, naturally. I take it to help with my energy levels and it seems to really help, without being a "diet pill" i take it daily but i also exercise and eat right as if I wasn't taking any supplement
  • EmAnCiNaS
    EmAnCiNaS Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I heard about these..

http://howtoloseweightquickdiet.com/diet/GarciniaCambogiaDiet/

and is dr. oz that is recomending them.. but MFP members say pills dont work.. i dont know what to believe either...

Definately don't believe Dr Oz. He pushes whatever pill the company tells him to so he makes money. Just because Dr Oz says it works doesn't mean it does. He has turned into someone who just pushes whatever he gets paid to knowing people will listen to him because of the "dr" in front of his name.

where there be someone out there rude enough to use his title just to make money? wouldnt that jeopardize his "position" and title?

I'm not a fan, mostly because I'm at work or in the gym when he's on, but just to be clear...

Dr. Oz does not endorse or produce any products. Anything with his name or picture on it is being used without authorization - so you don't want to buy those. Dr. Oz does not promote any specific products and does not make money from selling products - he makes money from advertising slots based on number of viewers just like every other talk show. He continually talks about weight loss and labels too many products with hype inducing names like "miracle in a bottle". That does not negate the actual product but does tarnish his name/show as over promoting these products to gain larger viewership. Just like local news stations will hype the ‘What’s killing your kids? Tune in at 7 to find out!’ Dr. Oz uses key phrases and sensationalism to grow and keep a large audience base.

Dr. Oz has a link for reporting any products or companies that are using his name or picture here: http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/mehmet-oz-md/my-name-profit-not-anymore

http://howtoloseweightbelowthebellybutton.com/diet/GarciniaCambogiaDiet/

I am a big fan.. and i know is wrong but I believe anything he says.. I hate that about me :(
  • EmAnCiNaS
    EmAnCiNaS Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I heard about these..

http://howtoloseweightquickdiet.com/diet/GarciniaCambogiaDiet/

and is dr. oz that is recomending them.. but MFP members say pills dont work.. i dont know what to believe either...

The product on that website smells like a scam to me. If you look at the comments, you'll see:
    1: The word "Comment" is not spelled correctly. This proves that the website is not professionally done, and raises huge red flags about the product they sell.
    2. There are two comments on the same day, different times, different user names, that are word for word identical. This says to me that the "comments" are all faked.
    3. No comments from before 1/22/2013 and none after 1/27/2013. This convinces me even more that the comments are faked. If the product worked as advertised, why aren't more people raving about it?

It doesn't matter what the product is. If the website is unprofessional, if the comments and testimonials are obvious fakes, I don't trust the company or the product, and I won't be sending them any money.

https://offer.my-secure-page.com/fatbuster900/index.php?PubID=4&ClickID=16150458&SID=237591&SID2=273613&LPID=27&PC=47

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19152796

there is different sites that have them.. can you try these websites for me??
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am on a perscription for phentermine at this time and am being closely monitored by a physician. I have met with a nutritionist and been given guidelines to help me lose weight. After trying on my own for more that 3 years and not having good results and being unable to exercise due to an injury, this has made a profound positive impact on my life. :smile:

I am in the same position, I have tried for a very very long time! My first attempt at WW was when I was 17 I am now 42. I am now under a doctors care, getting thyroid levels squared away, eating healthy and yes I am taking a "helper"
    Thank you for being so honest. Not everyone's weight issue can be resolved with a new pair of sneakers and a sports bra. It's wonderful for those who this helps but for some it's just not an option. As I said, I am thankful to have the additional "help" while I make the necessary adjustments to my diet and life styles.
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I forgot about ACE, i took those too! lol. again these are full of Caffeine, so i got headaches once i stopped takin them. i did take them for a month but then i stopped and i like to have these on hand for the energy they give me.
    i'm sure if i actually ate RIGHT, then i wouldnt 'need' these pills. but for me living better is a learning process, so for the time being, i'm just reducing how much i eat and trying to stay within caloric goals.. And i'm not necessarily watching WHAT i eat. I'm trying to eat more veggies but it is hard. so i am trying to change, but i truely feel if i once i have made my life into something healthy, pills wont really be needed anymore. but every day is a new one!!! so slowly but surely i will get where i want to be :-)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    dont waste your money
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I took them several years ago under the strict supervision of my (ex)boyfriend. So I can't say I have a very positive view on them now... The ones I took (and I'm sorry, I don't recall all the names except Trimspa) didn't help me lose anything other than the weight of my wallet :]

However if you're going to try something, you should definitely consult your doctor first. Because there are harmful pills out there, I think it's best to discuss it with someone who knows your health history and who can offer advice and knowledge.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Hi, is anyone taking any diet pills to help with the grueling process of losing weight?
    Do diet pills teach you to eat correctly? Nope.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beth3kb
    beth3kb Posts: 1
    Options
    There are a few prescription and OTC diet pills that are useful and helpful such as Meridia, Orlistat (Alli), and Adipex (phentermine.) If your BMI is at or above 27 and you have other weight-related health issues such as diabetes or elevated cholesterol you may qualify to take Qsymia. Qsymia is new on the market and a recently FDA-approved medication for weight loss. It is a combination drug of phentermine and topamax. I have read the studies and it does sound promising as an adjunct to a calorie-reduced diet and exercise program. It is able to be used long term as opposed to phentermine alone which can only be taken for 3 months at a time.

Regardless if you use medications or not, you have to find a balance of calories-in versus calories-out and stick to it for life after you have achieved your weight loss goal.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Everyone has an opinion about diet pills and a lot of people think that they are just downright horrible. But diet pills have their place as long as you are using them safely. For example, a lot of people on MFP are saying, even on this thread, that absolutely all you need is diet and exercise. Well for some people that is simply just NOT TRUE. Diet and exercise don't work for me on their own. They really just don't. I watch what I eat pretty carefully (I'm human, so I make mistakes), but I eat about 1200 calories per day and according to my BMR this is a deficit of roughly 700 calories per day (also my doctor said this was okay to eat only 1200 calories because I eat a TON of vegetables and other "safe" foods...eating more calories of raw food and veggies becomes insane after a while because of the sheer bulk of the food). This means that I should be losing 1 pound every 5 days, roughly. This is NOT happening. I have been doing this new special diet since January. I have lost I think 3 pounds total. I also exercise and I do eat back my exercise calories as much as humanly possible. My doctor suggested that my body is just having a "hard time letting go". I am NOT on a weight loss plateau like most MFPers would suggest. Literally my body does not care that I am exercising and eating less or that I am eating healthier. Even though I have quite a lot of body fat (30%) and my doctor wants me to lose about 5-7% of that, I just can't seem to. I do strength training, I do cardio, like I said I eat rather healthy.

The reality is that you're supposed to be able to lose weight simply by creating a deficit. This is not always true for all people, and like I said, I am one of those people. If you are already eating less calories and exercising, then you should probably avoid the diet pills that provide appetite suppression. There are other kinds out there. Ones that block fat absorption (which you don't need if you're eating mostly healthy fats), and others that revv up your metabolism, which could be the issue. You should talk to your doctor about your troubles and see what he recommends.

Also, you may not need a diet pill. If you are eating a ton of protein, I would suggest considering the idea that you may be eating too much protein. Your kidneys have to metabolize protein and if you eat too much of it then your kidneys may cause your body to store that excess protein as fat. I know everyone always says "eat more protein" to lose weight. But the human body is NOT made for that. Everything in moderation. And utilize whole natural plant based foods to achieve the bulk of your protein.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi, is anyone taking any diet pills to help with the grueling process of losing weight?
    Do diet pills teach you to eat correctly? Nope.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That wasn't the question. Eating right and exercising does not always work for everyone. I am proof of that fact. Everyone's body is different. Some people genuinely need extra assistance to help their bodies break down stored fat, to metabolize foods and proteins, to extract the nutrition they need from foods, and to ultimately lose weight and get fit. It is important for trainers like yourself to be able to talk to people on a truly humane and real level and take note of the facts of life. If everyone could just lose weight and get fit by exercising and eating right, then I should be a super model.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to get bashed for saying this too... but.... yes I take them.

I take 2 Semtex (Jodie Marsh's brand) around 45 mins before I work out - I find because of the high caffeine they give me a 'burst' of energy and I can work out longer.

HOWEVER!!

I do NOT expect them to make me lose weight.... WHATSOEVER. My diet and strength training will do that.

Ok - I've said my piece, please don't hurt me ha *waves white flag*
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem with Deit pills is yes they work while you take them, once you stop if you do not eat correctly and excercise guess what the weight comes back double. I use to take Proenzzi 99 while in highschool I lost a ton of weight until my Mom found out I was taking them she made me stop and BAM double the weight came back.

Now in adulthood I have been on Weight Watchers for 6 years and now MFP also I workout and guess what I have kept 20+ pounds off for the entire time. Its a way of life not an easy fix.

I guess you could lose all the weight with them and then eat healthy or take them for life but where is the challenge in that????