Sugar

Options
So I've just re-started tracking again and I can already tell I'm going to have a problem with stayin under or just at my sugar )and sodium) amounts :( I know going waaay over is bad but will going a little over all the time hinder me? I don't have any medical issues (other than hypothyroid which Im medicated for) and I drink a gallon of water a day.

Replies

• sjeffr
    sjeffr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I logged my breakfast this morning! I'm new to this site and tracking, btw, this is my 2nd day. Anyway, I had an orange and a Fage Fruyo vanilla yogurt for breakfast. Those two things alone put me 32 grams over my daily goal of 24 grams of sugar. Yikes! The yogurt alone was 27 grams.

I went to the Fage website and they call it a "yogurt desert". No freakin wonder it's full of sugar! That's why I'm liking this food logging, it's really making me pay attention to everything.

Time to go back to plain ol Fage and just add my own honey. I'll probably still buy the Fruyo as an occasional treat for my son, cause he loves the stuff too, but I certainly dont want him eating it every day either.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I logged my breakfast this morning! I'm new to this site and tracking, btw, this is my 2nd day. Anyway, I had an orange and a Fage Fruyo vanilla yogurt for breakfast. Those two things alone put me 32 grams over my daily goal of 24 grams of sugar. Yikes! The yogurt alone was 27 grams.

I went to the Fage website and they call it a "yogurt desert". No freakin wonder it's full of sugar! That's why I'm liking this food logging, it's really making me pay attention to everything.

Time to go back to plain ol Fage and just add my own honey. I'll probably still buy the Fruyo as an occasional treat for my son, cause he loves the stuff too, but I certainly dont want him eating it every day either.

I logged my breakfast of multigrain cheerios, milk and a banana and it was almost at my limit :(
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't even track my sugar. I eat very little added or refined sugar and have no medical issue regarding sugar so I don't even track it.

Provided you are getting your sugar from good sources (Fruit) I wouldn't worry about if you have no medical reason to watch sugar.

TONS of threads here debating sugar... search function will provide tons of answers.
  • maripauli85
    Options
    Same thing happens to me but it's just on fresh fruits alone!!! I'm actually confused because I eat a lot of fruits and that shouldn't be a bad thing, or is it?
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. Maybe focus on your carbs vs your sugar, since sugars are also carbs? That is, unless you have a medical need to track every gram of sugar you consume. Fruits are full of sugar, yes, but they also have fiber, which is good for you.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's my personal opinion that the sugar allowed on MFP is extremely low. It does not differentiate between sugars from fruits and vegetables and added sugars. I am already 172 grams over my weekly "allowance" I have no medical issues that require me to closely monitor my sugar levels. I therefore ignore the sugar allowance on MFP. Not to mention the huge margin of error on some entries. I saw an entry for a medium sized apple with like 24 g of sugar. According to the national food database it's closer to 10, so be mindul of that also.
  • weephees
    weephees Posts: 27
    Options
    I wouldn't pay much attention to sugar amounts if it is good sugars you are eating such as fruit :flowerforyou:, its the sugars that are in cookies and deserts that you need to watch out for!
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I definitely do eat some added sugar (ummm, hello, that is obvious from my diary-LOL) but I think the prob w/MFP is that it doesn't distinguish at all between added sugar and sugar in fruit, sweet potatoes, etc. And even yogurt that is plain naturally has some sugar (I want to say around 11g/normal serving?) just because of the sugar that is in milk. I think that if you have a day where you, for example, eat an apple, some clementines, a sweet potato, and plain greek yogurt you could approach/exceed the MFP sugar limit.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I go over almost every day because I have a protein shake that includes a 1/2 banana (very high), blueberries and strawberries. As long as I'm not way over, I don't worry about it. Of course if I stop losing, I may reconsider. lol
  • daisydaisy99
    daisydaisy99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I switched the sugar tracker over to fiber which I figure is more important so as long as it's not a refined sugar problem that you are trying to keeps tabs on just change your setting to track something that will be useful to you!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The level set on MFP is pretty low - I know the UK recommended daily limit (GDA) is 90g.

As you say, tracking food on MFP is a great way to understand better what's in the foods you're eating.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and never once track a single gram of sugar or sodium. Sugar is a subset of Carbs so I concentrated on my caloric intake and my Macro's (Carbs, Protein, Fats) drank atleast 120 oz. of water a day (32 oz. Gatorade bottle refilled 4 times throughout the day) and got my butt moving and managed to lose a few pounds... I started out on a Macro ratio of 40/30/30 (Carbs,Protein,Fats) and for the last year and a half been at 50/25/25 because of the amount of exercise I do these days... Best of Luck..
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone! Ill d some changing of my trackers :)
  • tnsons
    tnsons Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just did the samething had red grapefruit in natural juice and a nonfat blueberry yogurt and over on my sugar already. I agree with the others just try and stay away from sweets and white flour items and eat healthy sugars. I am going to read up and see what is a healthy amount for the day or if MFP is just a little stingy on their amounts but if your making good choices i wouldnt worry to much.
  • hmanley66
    hmanley66 Posts: 57
    Options
    LOL I stopped looking at sugar and sodium because it is so depressing. I eat a lot of fruit and a lot of soup, so I would be over my limit every single day. I decided there are better fields to focus on, Carbs/Protein/Fiber. If you are eating the right sugars you should be happy :) Certainly no one should feel guilty for eating multigrain cheerios with a little fruit in it!

Try focusing on something else :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    You should be able to stay under your sugar if you look at that Goal as a goal for ADDED sugar. 24g is six teaspoons of sugar. You'll find added sugar in processed foods....so that Froyo Fage had some added sugar, but Fage plain will show as having sugar too, and it will be lactose (milk sugar). Fruit has natural sugar - and quite a bit of it - so I limit my fruit to no more than two a day.

I only worry about added sugars, myself.

Sauces, grain products, dressings, spreads, soups all have added sugar. Just be aware.