Increase Exercise, Decreased Appetite....

Options
I've been doing the MFP program for about 20 days now and I am finding it harder and harder to reach my daily calorie goal. I usually have a healthy, filling breakfast, a small lunch (I'm not much of a "snacker") and then a protein/low-carb dinner. I always think I did great and then I go for a 5K run with my husband, log it into my diary, and realize I have about 400-500 calories to make up for.

I am never hungry after I workout...and I don't want to pump my body with calories right before I go to bed. But I also don't want my body to hold onto the fat because it thinks it's starving.

*sigh* This is all so frustrating.

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    In that case, start consuming calorie dense foods such as fats.
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to exercise on a particular day perhaps you could just eat more before you exercise in preparation for burning those calories. I don't like to eat much shortly after a workout either so I just eat more several hours before hand.
  • Jessi79
    Jessi79 Posts: 5
    Options
    My opinion....I dont like to eat back the calories you have just burned off. Look at your daily goal intake before adding excercise and below it shows what extra your given bc of excercise given. Strive for your healthy calorie intake goal.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    My opinion....I dont like to eat back the calories you have just burned off. Look at your daily goal intake before adding excercise and below it shows what extra your given bc of excercise given. Strive for your healthy calorie intake goal.

using MFP's calculations, you need to eat back your exercise calories. otherwise you are creating too big of a deficit and will plateau. as others suggested, just try eating more earlier in the day, like a larger lunch.
  • Jessi79
    Jessi79 Posts: 5
    Options
    "If you have completely stopped losing weight and you’re consuming 1800 or more calories, reduce your daily intake by 250 calories. If after two weeks, you are still not dropping any weight, reduce your daily calories down by another 100 calories. Never drop below 1200 calories. Remember a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day for one week is equal to 3500 calories or 1 pound of fat. This calorie deficit can come from a combination of energy put in (diet) and energy expended out (exercise)."

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-diets/8-ways-to-lose-10/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    "If you have completely stopped losing weight and you’re consuming 1800 or more calories, reduce your daily intake by 250 calories. If after two weeks, you are still not dropping any weight, reduce your daily calories down by another 100 calories. Never drop below 1200 calories. Remember a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day for one week is equal to 3500 calories or 1 pound of fat. This calorie deficit can come from a combination of energy put in (diet) and energy expended out (exercise)."

This is a guideline, not an absolute. Think about it for a minute.....................if you think you really have it down correctly, then there really shouldn't be a problem with weight loss. If you are having a problem, then your approach is incorrect.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue actually. After I run, or after a strength training circuit I'm never hungry - just incredibly thirsty. I yo-yo with my daily calorie deficits, sometimes they're in the 500 - 800 calorie range, sometimes they're just 200 - 300. I would think this would be great for weight loss, but I my scale hasn't moved in months so I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Bookmarking this to see where this thread goes.
  • mail2artist
    mail2artist Posts: 3 Member
    Options

So I guess I'm confused by this. MFP gives me 1200 a day (without exercise). When I do exercise, which I try to get a run in everyday it of course adds anywhere from 150-350 extra. There's days I'll use them and other's I won't, however I ALWAYS eat at least my 1200 calories. Am I going to put my body into starvation mode by NOT eating my exercise calories back? I figured it didn't matter if I used those or not. I just started my diet almost two weeks ago and I'm losing of course. Down 5 pds. :) But I definitely don't want to plateau
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

So I guess I'm confused by this. MFP gives me 1200 a day (without exercise). When I do exercise, which I try to get a run in everyday it of course adds anywhere from 150-350 extra. There's days I'll use them and other's I won't, however I ALWAYS eat at least my 1200 calories. Am I going to put my body into starvation mode by NOT eating my exercise calories back? I figured it didn't matter if I used those or not. I just started my diet almost two weeks ago and I'm losing of course. Down 5 pds. :) But I definitely don't want to plateau

like i said, MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories. you need to NET 1200 (or whatever MFP suggests)