Not sure about how often to weight myself

Options
2»

Replies

• misseseaj2010
    Options
    I am having this same issue. I don't want to get discouraged if I haven't lost as much as I thought, but I also don't want to go long periods of time without weighing, cause then I won't know if what I am doing is working or not.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    reading this thread...

do people not realise that these things weigh something as well?
    1. food
    2. poo
    3. water

...? If you weigh am and pm, of course there will be a fluctuation. I am face palming so much right now.

I think personally for me, it's when I get a chance. I rather not worry about it too much - I can see the difference and feel healthier and that is about 1000 times more important than a stupid number.
  • Jaxie1231
    Jaxie1231 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every monday morning. When I weigh myself every day, I don't like what I see and get discouraged. If I just hold out a whole week, I find the numbers are more true.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Once a week.
  • dfarina33
    dfarina33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Really a personal preference. Personally I weigh myself every morning that way I have to face the discipline of the scale and helps keep me from over eating. Although, I have gotten used to the fluctuations. My weight can swing 5 lbs in a week. I have found that when I avoid the scale, my weight creeps up.
  • sjeffr
    sjeffr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a once a day weigher. I actually find it encouraging and look forward to getting on the scale each morning. If I see an upwards fluctuation it's a motivator to be really careful that day.

Do whatever works with you, but I agree if your going to be become obsessive or if it's going to be discouraging stick to once a week.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I probably get on the scale two or three times a day. It doesn't bother me to see it fluctuate as long as the trend is down. Officially I only log it on MFP every Thursday morning.
  • kirstymustloseweight
    Options
    I've just started losing weight and I ALWAYS end up weighing myself every morning before I eat or drink. I'm just so eager to lose the weight and I want to SEE it on the scales lol! Once my weight loss slows down I'm going to have to force myself to weigh in once a week. Otherwise I will get discouraged and give up! x
  • kapot
    kapot Posts: 53
    Options
    For the purposes of tracking/noting my weights, it's once a week. But I like to weigh myself every two days in the morning to keep myself in check.
  • BrofessorDumbelldore
    Options
    learn to read the number in context and you can weigh yourself whenever you want
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Agree with once a week. Stepping on the scale too often can become an obsessive habit.
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    I'm a once a day weigher. I actually find it encouraging and look forward to getting on the scale each morning. If I see an upwards fluctuation it's a motivator to be really careful that day.

Do whatever works with you, but I agree if your going to be become obsessive or if it's going to be discouraging stick to once a week.
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    Yes, I too need that daily accountability and reassurance that I am headed in the right direction! I will try to go weekly but not sure it will last! I think I just need to not be discouraged and understand there will be fluctuations throughout the day and the week too.
  • lself0924
    lself0924 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Every.Single.Day.

No but seriously, whatever you want. Just don't freak out when you see the scale jump 2 pounds in 1 day. More than likely you didnt take down an extra 7000 calories the day before. =)

^What they said^

And I weigh daily because it helps me focus, I just work through the downers and look at my overall track record and try to chil-ax.