The Truth About Exercise -- PBS Program April 10

Options
mfpcopine
mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
Many PBS stations will be broadcasting on April 10 a BBC 2 Horizon program called "The Truth about Exercise." The journalist, Michael Mosley, has a medical degree and I liked another program he prepared, an introduction to the benefits of different fasting regimes. Following is a link to the promo.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2364990532/

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you found it. I think it might. Be 4 October not 10 April.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

In the United States it was shown on PBS (Public Broadcasting Station) channels last night (April 10, 2013). I recorded it and have only watched the first 10 minutes but it's quite interesting. Here's a link to a site with the video. PBS posts shows online for a while and then takes them down.

• jaz050465
    Options
    Aaa ah. That it explains it- it's a USA site which explains why the date is the 'wrong way round' for me. It was on in the UK a while ago.

Thanks anyway.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I watched this show last night and I thought it was fascinating! I was shocked that they can just take blood from you, check out your DNA and tell you what exercise works best for you, or if it will even benefit you like previously thought. The fact that three 20 second increments of HIIT 3 times a week is as beneficial as an hour at the gym is just mind-blowing. What I thought was the MOST interesting about this show was that the docs/scientists all said that EVERY HOUR, PEOPLE SHOULD BE MOVING. Every single hour! That sitting 8 hours at a desk then blasting through 1-2 hours at the gym isn't good enough. Wow!

They need to hurry up and get this testing available (inexpensively) to everyone!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Interesting show. I found the HIT piece amazing, that just 12 minutes of exercise a month could have a measurable effect on insulin uptake.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I watched this show last night and I thought it was fascinating! I was shocked that they can just take blood from you, check out your DNA and tell you what exercise works best for you, or if it will even benefit you like previously thought. The fact that three 20 second increments of HIIT 3 times a week is as beneficial as an hour at the gym is just mind-blowing. What I thought was the MOST interesting about this show was that the docs/scientists all said that EVERY HOUR, PEOPLE SHOULD BE MOVING. Every single hour! That sitting 8 hours at a desk then blasting through 1-2 hours at the gym isn't good enough. Wow!

They need to hurry up and get this testing available (inexpensively) to everyone!

They do indeed. I've only watched the first bit, but it confirmed for me that people respond differently to exercise and that exercise is for fitness, NOT weight loss.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Aaa ah. That it explains it- it's a USA site which explains why the date is the 'wrong way round' for me. It was on in the UK a while ago.

Thanks anyway.

The OP posted a thread with a link to the first program in this series, on fasting. She explained that it had already been broadcast in the UK. But she hadn't been able to view on YouTube.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Wow...very interesting!
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They aired this on SBS here in Australia a month or so ago. I was keen to share the video link with my friends, but SBS's website only keeps catch-up episodes for a limited time and then deletes them. I was really bummed about that bit. Nonetheless, anyone who hasn't seen it and can find the opportunity to, I highly recommend it. The research in it blew my mind!!
  • jaz050465
    Options

Www.xrgenomics.co.uk

Saw this in a magazine. I think it's the same thing.
  • nataliecarter28
    nataliecarter28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    is it on youtube or any other website?
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    They do indeed. I've only watched the first bit, but it confirmed for me that people respond differently to exercise and that exercise is for fitness, NOT weight loss.

This is so right! It's weird wrapping my brain around that concept.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

This is so right! It's weird wrapping my brain around that concept.

Well, for a long time I've been reading that only a small part of weight loss is exercise. The figure 15% was often used. I've always known that the astronomically high calorie burn estimates people were burning were inaccurate. it was good to see that confirmed by the presenter's VO2 max test. I had a version of that done many years ago.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    is it on youtube or any other website?

Go to the third post and copy and past the link in your browser window. Or search for "PBS Mosley Truth About Exercise".
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

In the United States it was shown on PBS (Public Broadcasting Station) channels last night (April 10, 2013). I recorded it and have only watched the first 10 minutes but it's quite interesting. Here's a link to a site with the video. PBS posts shows online for a while and then takes them down.

I watched the entire program last night and it was an eye opener. I think I'll try to do the ultra-extreme HIIT. Now of course I'm sure that's recommended only for people who want basic fitness. Obviously, a serious athlete would need to do much more than 3 minutes a week. But for me it would be a way to restart. And only it was only 3 20-second bursts, you obviously have to push yourself.

The gene tests were interesting, but even if more widely available, it has to be remembered that genes can't predict everything.
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Watching now. FASCINATING stuff! Thanks for posting.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This was a great show, really thought provoking! Since it aired I've been getting up from my desk every hour and doing two laps around the office floor, instead of sitting for 2 hours or more at a time. It's really made me think about what I'm doing the 23 hours a day I'm not at the gym!
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    This was a great show, really thought provoking! Since it aired I've been getting up from my desk every hour and doing two laps around the office floor, instead of sitting for 2 hours or more at a time. It's really made me think about what I'm doing the 23 hours a day I'm not at the gym!

The Chair Kills!:smile: The was a NEAT expression. :smile:

For some time, I haven't worried about inconvenient set ups where I had to walk because I realized it was better for me. I often walk or take the stairs when other people use transportation or take the escalator. I've been hearing this for years, but it helped to see the science back it up. I assume the science is decent. I like that the presenter, Michael Mosley, has a medical degree.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    There is, I believe, one last show in the series. It's Michael Mosley on Guts. He swallows a mini camera that is used to track the GI system.

The program on his experiences with various forms of fasting was also interesting. Again, he has a medical degree and discussed the topic with researchers who M.D.s and Ph.Ds in their fields, hardly quack science.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    wow!! Thank you for posting!!!