Subsitute for processed black beans in a can?

Options
Trying to cut back on my sodium intake, I"m 38 and 6 feet 190.

I usually eat the same thing everyday since I'm working out and trying to get into shape.

For lunch I eat chicken breast, white rice and black beans.... I want to get rid of the black beans, maybe the white rice and switch to brown rice as well.

What's a good substitute for black beans since they're high in sodium?

I will post my diet after I get off work.

Replies

• SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    there are canned low sodium ones. Or you could try dry black beans - a little extra effort with soaking before cooking.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just cook your own.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Drain and rinse them and/or cook your own. You don't have to soak them, just make in crock pot with two inches of water above them for 7-8 hours on low. :-)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Make your own.

1 can = 720mg (bush's black beans)
    dry beans of equal amount (1 1/2 cups) = 56mg sodium

The choice is clear. Takes a little bit more time, but you can buy a bag, make the whole thing up and freeze it. Ends up being cheaper too. 1 bag of beans usually ends up being about 3 cups, which is about 6 cups cooked and is about $1.00. 3 cans of Bush's Black beans costs between $3-6, depending on where you buy it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I usually eat the same thing everyday since I'm working out and trying to get into shape.

For lunch I eat chicken breast, white rice and black beans.... I want to get rid of the black beans, maybe the white rice and switch to brown rice as well.

Dry black beans and why would you switch from white to brown rice?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    get bags of dried beans. they're cheaper, and really don't take long. you can soak them in water overnight that way they are ready the next day. i switched from canned to bagged beans, they last me longer and save me some monies :] i buy the bags of goya or you can buy them in bulk as well and soak them all at once or only when you need them
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

Because brown tastes better...but im guessing im in the minority on that one
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Crockpot. Easy peasy.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Drain and rinse them and/or cook your own. You don't have to soak them, just make in crock pot with two inches of water above them for 7-8 hours on low. :-)

Thanks for the crock pot tip. I've been carrying around a bag of dry beans in my backpack and generally forgetting about them - probably because I was avoiding having to actually cook them - crock pot makes it sound easy and fuss free.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

someone told be brown rice has arsenic in it or something, not sure how true this is though.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Personally, I buy Sun Vista- no salt added canned beans.

Edit:

Nutrition info:

Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 110
    Calories from Fat 9.0
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1g
    1%
    Saturated Fat 0g
    0%
    Cholesterol 0mg
    0%
    Sodium 10mg
    0%
    Total Carbohydrate 19g
    6%
    Dietary Fiber 7g
    28%
    Sugars 1g

Protein 7g
    14%
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's something you're doing already but if you do stick with canned beans get a strainer and wash the extra goop the beans come in off before you cook them. Obviously this won't eliminate all of the sodium but it will help plus, to me at least, the beans will taste much better.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I do my own black beans from dry beans. I do them in the crockpot, but I wouldn't suggest skipping the soak. The soaking draws out a lot of the enzyme in the beans that causes gas. It really only takes a few minutes to throw them in a bucket of water. Let them sit for 12-24 hours, dump them in a colander and give them a quick rinse, then throw them in the crockpot, cover with water, put in on low. They're done when the reach a texture you like. I usually stick them in the crockpot before I leave for work and pull them out when I get home. Then just throw them in the freezer and use as needed.
  • stepnehjones
    stepnehjones Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try dry beans in a pressure cooker. Very quick and no soaking!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Definitely make your own, I never buy canned beans! Make big batches and then freeze smaller amounts that you can pull out of the freezer.

I would definitely recommend soaking them prior to cooking. After the soak, rinse them really well and then use new water for the cooking. This aids with digestion. You, and those around you, will be grateful for the soaking.

You could also consider a pressure cooker - those are impossible to beat when it comes to cooking beans! They're also great for steaming veggies.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i much prefer bagged black beans that i soak overnight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    there are canned low sodium ones. Or you could try dry black beans - a little extra effort with soaking before cooking.

This ^^

Black beans aren't high sodium. The added salt is high sodium. Either buy low sodium canned or cook your own.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Change out the rice with quinoa. It has more protein. Crckpot your black beans. Both very easy. I found for my body if I cook it from scratch I can eat for a lot less calories and I actually like it more. I was never a cook but am beginning to like it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do my own black beans from dry beans. I do them in the crockpot, but I wouldn't suggest skipping the soak. The soaking draws out a lot of the enzyme in the beans that causes gas. It really only takes a few minutes to throw them in a bucket of water. Let them sit for 12-24 hours, dump them in a colander and give them a quick rinse, then throw them in the crockpot, cover with water, put in on low. They're done when the reach a texture you like. I usually stick them in the crockpot before I leave for work and pull them out when I get home. Then just throw them in the freezer and use as needed.

Ahhhh! Thanks for the "soaking" tip. Good to know.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Because brown tastes better...but im guessing im in the minority on that one

Maybe so, but I also think it tastes better. And it has more fiber, but when eaten with beans that's probably less of an issue since beans are high fiber.