snacks and mini meals?

Options
Howdy!!!! So, I am kinda stuck with my eating situation.... my job has a very weird schedule so snacking or having mini meals isn't always easy to do. I work on a special ed/ preschool bus and my hours are Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday 6am-9:45am 10:45am-1:15pm 2:00pm-4:45pm... and Wednesday 6:00am-9:45am 10:30am-1:00pm 1:30pm-4:00pm...so In the morning when I get to work I have about 10 mins or so to do whatever I drink a Boost Glucose control shake (190 cals) then when i get home at 9:45 I either make a turkey sandwich with veggies, pringles, or cottage cheese (roughly 300cals depending what I add) or 2 scrambled eggs with a little bit of milk (add salsa, hot sauce, crushed red peppers) 2 or 3 pieces of turkey bacon and natural applesauce or reduced fat cheese (roughly 300 cals) then I take a Kashi granola bar with me (between 120-140 cals depending on flavor) but then I starve till dinner and usually over eat. My question is what is a good stable snack I can take that doesn't need to be cold or hot, and can't contain nuts? (some kids may have allergies so they dont really like for there to be nuts around and they are forbidden in the schools) also I am NOT the driver I am an aide which means i am in the back with the kids. Also I am prediabetic so I really have to watch my sugary foods so even though i love bananas I try to steer clear. Also, since I am on a bus there aren't very many potty stops so chugging water to feel full isn't really an option, I drink MAYBE a total of 20oz of a beverage between 6am and 5pm....Thanks for reading this long post and thanks for any helpful tips or hints.

Replies

• KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    P.S my diary is open so feel free to look... also as you can see I don't usually drink "full strength" Mnt Dew but today was one of those days lol and thats about as "hard" as I drink lol (not to say on R A R E occasions I don't have a little sip of something more "adult")
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cucumbers? I take mine out of the fridge in the morning, peel it, cut it, and place it in a snack bag until I get a little hungry after lunch. I have never had any problems with this. Also, you can get "veggie straws", I like the ones from Costco best, and put a bunch in a baggie. They are low in calories and give you the "crunch" satisfaction. I hope this helps!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies and hummus
    Cheese sticks
    Sunflower seed butter
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at your diary but here are some other ideas..

Fruit: clementines (I peel them and then stick them in a baggie), grapes, blueberries or other fruit
    Veggies: Carrots, Celery, peppers travel well
    Bag of popcorn already popped
    Anything with sunbutter.

I also try to bake my own muffins and granola bars so I can control the ingredients.

Could you pack a small cooler to stick in a bag or purse... that way you could pack a hard boiled egg, string cheese, hummus for veggies, squeeze yogurt, small sandwich, or turkey and cheese rollups

On a side note.. my son has a peanut and nut allergy so I appreciate you not wanting to bring them on the bus.. The bus makes me nervous :)
  • karivarner
    Options
    I would suggest you drop the lowfat milk & go with unsweetened coconut or unsweetened almond milk. Less carbs, less sugar, healthy fats.
    Switch out the kashi bar for beef jerky & cheese, hard boiled eggs, veggies & hummus, a tuna or chickem salad pack.
    Something with some protien & fat in it to keep you going but that won't spike your blood sugar levels.
    You can pick up the chicken salad pack & the tuna salad pack at the dollar stores & they have less that 200 cals so add some veggie sticks or an apple.

Being pre-diabetic you may need to re-evaluate your carb levels, and drop that soda!!!
    Go for Green Tea, black tea or even sugar free Tea Blends.
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps!!! great ideas