Any vegetarian's out there?

Options
Extremely bored of food lately and just want to binge but when i do i mainly eat stuff high in carbs and end up going over my limit for carbs.

Any suggestions of great vegetarian things to eat that are low carb?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I made the switch to a vegetarian diet last June and would never turn back. I am now primarily raw vegan in my diet though but when I don't eat raw it's a vegetarian meal.

Cauliflower pizza crust is a great low carb base for pizza. If you eat cheese it makes a great meal topped with veggies and a side salad. I make my crust with half cauliflower and half broccoli .. super yummy!

When I eat spaghetti, I make myself half a serving and mix with spaghetti squash and some other veggies cut very thin. Still gets the pasta in but lowers the calories and the carbs.

I can't give much advice for low carb other than the two above as I eat a lot of carbs due to the amount of fruits and veggies I eat.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of kale chips and dry roasted soy beans. They give me that satisfying 'crunch' but without all the extra calories. The kale is pretty low carb, the soy beans not as much - but they are a good source of protein.
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    I'm a big fan of kale chips and dry roasted soy beans. They give me that satisfying 'crunch' but without all the extra calories. The kale is pretty low carb, the soy beans not as much - but they are a good source of protein.

Kale chips are AMAZING! A great little snack and you can spice them up anyway you like.

Can't remember carb counts (I would guess they are on the higher end) but roasted chickpeas are also amazing as a snack!
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    -celery with raw almond butter if you want something sweet; with vegan cheese if not.
    -i keep a mix of raw cashews, raw sunflower seeds and goji berries around also.
    -its also pretty easy to make your own protein type bars; i use oats, dried fruits (which can up the carbs so be careful), a touch of agave and coconut milk and any type nut butter to make it a bar instead of a pile....
    -chick peas with a little balsamic, pepper, red onion (I like red pepper flakes)
    -avocado or cucumber with a good hot sauce

good luck!
  • amjelot
    amjelot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hummus with veggies is one of my go to snacks.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Kale chips are AMAZING! A great little snack and you can spice them up anyway you like.

Can't remember carb counts (I would guess they are on the higher end) but roasted chickpeas are also amazing as a snack!

Ooh! Roasted chickpeas sound delicious - I haven't had a chance to try those yet.
  • thisismeraw
    Options

Ooh! Roasted chickpeas sound delicious - I haven't had a chance to try those yet.

They are amazing and so easy to make to suit your own taste!

I love spicy things so I toss mine in a bit of oil and sprinkle on pepper, cayanne, paprika and toss than bake. So good!!!! I actually need to make some more!
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    try this with rice...saute garlic,brocooli,bell peppers,half tomato,bok choy.....add some salt,pepper ,soy sauce..and little vinegar add around half a cup of water..add some sauted tofu if like it for some protein..eat it with rice..i just love it
    also for vegeterian meals you can add veggies to lentils and beans..boil them together add some sauted ginger garlic paste,salt ,pepper and herbs of your choice and eat it with rice....
  • HappyCamper5166
    Options
    Search net carbs. Vegetarians and vegans often have a hard time keeping their carbs low. However, if you choose high fiber foods it lowers your net carbs. Fiber passes through and does not raise the blood glucose levels so it won't be stored as fat. I normally can stay below by goal carbs or go slightly over, but when I subtract the fiber content am normally pretty well below. View your full report and see the amount of fiber that you're eating. I know I'm consuming about twice the fiber (at least) compared to before I went vegan.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You can eat dairy that is if you do, like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ect...eggs if you eat those...kind of hard to stay lower car if you don't eat those. Bulk up on greens like big salads can be helpful.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This is where the vegetarians hang out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

This would make a good cross post.