How do I get enough confidence to go runnning?

Options
Hello everyone!
Well, I would love to go running through my neighborhood, but just don't have the confidence to. The thought of kids I went to school with seeing me and frankly anyonr who will look at me, terrifies me. I'm a very slow runner right now and everything bounces lol. But it's embarrassing.
Does anyone have any advice??
Thank you!!

Replies

• chefbubba1303
    chefbubba1303 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Speed doesn't matter, its the fact you are out doing something. There is no magic powder or pill, you have to want to do it. Besides, who cares what people think. Be proud of yourself for getting out and exercising, Good luck! With time and practice comes endurance and speed! You'll get there!
  • Biomisty
    Biomisty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I know how you feel!!! I started the couch to 5 k plan and would stop anytime a car would pass. I'm terrified of gyms so I though running would get me out of my "safe zone" but still be a workout. Once I started doing run/walk intervals, it was a satisfaction thing. I didn't care if a car passed by because I was not going to walk until time was up just to say I did it. or....;)you could always buy a tredmill, but I'm to cheap.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    you gain confidence by doing something repeatedly.
  • weesinglane
    Options
    When I first started, I ran with a friend! I find I get less bored and have more fun that way :)
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yup, just do it! I used to be so self-conscious about running outside as well but every time I went, my confidence went up. Put some headphones in, wear good shoes and comfy clothes, and just go. I guarantee that anyone else outside running thinks it's cool whenever they see anyone else running, no matter their speed or size. And you're running a whole lot faster than everyone who isn't running! :happy:

But, seriously, the hardest step for a runner is the first one out the door. Once you get out there, you're focused on your run and that's it. And even though it may be hard and it may hurt the next day, you will feel so great for doing it that you'll want to do it again!
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Just go - anytime I see someone out running, I cheer for them in my head because it's not easy to get your bum out there and keep moving!
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said!

Also, no one is going to be looking at you. You think they will, but I promise, they're not. Just get out the door and have fun!
  • Siobhan1983
    Options
    I hate running on the street too. I find it better to go to the elementary school across from my house in the evening and run around the field instead. I take my dog and let her run beside me off leash when no one is there. I used to do interval training to get into it.
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes, like a few have already said "just get out there, dont worry obout other people". Be proud of the fact that you actually got yourself to go out and run and are not just sitting there thinking you should. :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Headphones are a great thing. Just put them on and DO it (in the words of Nike)! What would YOU think if you saw someone really heavy running down your street? You would probably think wow, good for her she is really making an effort. I saw one of my old friends from high school the other day and she looked beautiful, skinny and just as gorgeous as she did in high school. I turned around and walked the other way and acted like I didn't see her because I was embarrased at how I had let myself go. That was the day I really started putting in effort to lose weight. Just know that you want to make a change. Just think how impressed they will be each and everytime you run by and stick with it! You will GAIN confidence and LOSE weight! Good luck!
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yeah definitely just keep doing it and eventually you wont even notice it anymore. i used to hate running where i thought people might see me but im doing my first half marathon this weekend! just go for it.
  • elvie64
    elvie64 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Get up early and go in the dark. I slink down to the high school running track at 4:30 a.m. It was a case of do I want to fix the phobia or just get a run in. Just getting a run in was easier!
  • danielbwest
    danielbwest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I always thought I would never be able to run because I had asthma as a kid. I struggled with it all through school, and as a result, was never very active throughout my teens and early 20s. Almost two years ago, I weighed between 250-270, and was at risk for many things. I started going to the gym, working out etc.. Long story short, I'm almost at 200 lbs, and I joined a running group. They helped me so much, and supported me. They gave me the confidence I needed to run, no matter how long. I started this in August 2012, and have run 2 10Ks, and I'm going to be running my first 10 mile race on Sunday. I'm also training for a half marathon. So, it can be done. Check out different running stores in your community. Chances are, they have a running group or groups.

Best of luck!.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't help you build your confidence. I can just tell you to get out there and do it.

I am a very beginner at running (week 2 in C25K) and I huff and puff like crazy and my face gets blood red every time I do it.... but I still do it.

I was always given 2 pieces of advice: It doesn't matter how slowly you go, as long as you go. And no matter how slow you are, you are still lapping the people on the couch.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Just get out and do it.

The only people that will be looking will be other runners thinking, "damn, I'm jealous, I wish I was running too." Seriously.
  • sjenkin6
    sjenkin6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Find a park with a track to run at. I find that the people there are usually older and out of shape (just like I am). Wear comfortable clothes and a good sports bra. You might want to consider the Couch to 5K challenge (C25K).
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am very self conscious about working out as well. I used to hate the gym because of a fear that everyone was looking at me and whispering about the fat girl trying to workout. Logically I knew this wasn't true, but I just couldn't stop my brain from thinking it.

Eventually I got over it and I don't feel that way at the gym anymore. When I tried to add running I had the same fear, that people driving by would laugh or something. When I finally went out and ran around my neighborhood, I would pass others running and people would smile and nod. I was one of them "a runner". It didn't matter I was heavy.

A lot of people suffer from different forms of anxiety and self image issues. The best advice I can give is just do it. You may feel self conscious about it for a while, but keep at it, it gets better.

Also, you could drive to a park that is further away and run, less people that know you and that could make you feel less anxious.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I still live where I grew up, and I never bump into anyone I know whilst out running.

As others have said, just go for it. The vast majority of people will just ignore you (except other runners who will just check out your running shoes).
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think you may even motivate some people when they see you taking care of your health!!! You are doing it for yourself not for anybody else.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    This is why I run in the woods.