Losing weight on Wellbutrin

Options
I was just recently 'diagnosed' as being depressed, and was put on Wellbutrin. The medicine is actually starting to make me feel better, which came as a surprise because I never thought I felt 'bad' to begin with.

My only problem is I am losing weight rapidly. I have lost 8 lbs in a week...
Has anyone else experienced this? And did the weight come back later on?

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I'd be careful hun...if it's causing you to not eat, then it will probably be easy to put it back on...
    I wish I knew :(
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a side effect.

Continue to get proper nutirtion and vitmains and you should be fine. Also, althogh you may not feel hungry- try to eat at least your BMR.

I wish I lost 8lbs when I started it!! I only felt strung out for a week, which was actually pretty scarry!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is a stimulant...basically speeding everything up...thus, your body is burning more calories at rest than it normally would. It should level off...your body is very adaptable and will adapt to this new metabolic rate.
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it's making you feel better! I was put on it but it made my depression worse so they put me on Zoloft instead which made me gain a gazillion pounds! So I stopped taking it :> NOT that I am suggesting you do that!!!! My suggestion is to talk to your psychiatrist, she will know much more about it than I do! Hopefully it will level out soon!
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm having this as well. I was put on Wellbutrin about a month and a half ago, also for depression. I didn't have any weight related side effects right off the bat, but about two weeks ago my weight just started dropping like crazy. I've lost about eight pounds in less than two weeks. Considering I've been stuck at 130 for ages, I was pretty pleased to see the drop. I just hope I can adjust once it levels out.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is not technically a stimulant but from the FDA, "a relatively weak inhibitor of the neuronal uptake of norepinephrine and dopamine, and does not inhibit monoamine oxidase or the re-uptake of serotonin." You may feel a "stimulant" effect from the reduction of depression.

It seems both weight loss and weight gain occur in a small portion of those taking Wellbutrin (Bupropion). I've been taking the generics of Wellbutrin and Prozac for years. The combination is necessary for me because of the combination of high blood pressure drugs I take and a benign arrhythmia.

For the full scientific info on Wellbutrin, see http://www.drugs.com/pro/wellbutrin.html

As someone who avoided antidepressants for too many years, self-treated with alcohol like my father, and finally sought counseling and started on drug therapy, all I can say is, don't give up if one drug or counselor doesn't seem to be working. Seek another. Like finding shoes that fit perfectly, finding the right treatment for clinical depression takes time and experimentation.

It's definitely worth it, though! Promise! I'm a happily retired person who takes her daily anti-depressants and remembers all the things various counselors have taught her over the years and as I continue to grow as a person, not only am I more content but hubby is happy and my family worries less about me.
  • keshiabug1
    keshiabug1 Posts: 150
    Options
    I was pretty pleased to see the drop. I just hope I can adjust once it levels out.

This is exactly my feelings at the moment.
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The weight loss does eventually level out. I was on it about 6 years ago and lost 20 pounds -- that I needed to lose. While I got thin, I never got as thin as i am now.
  • keshiabug1
    keshiabug1 Posts: 150
    Options
    The weight loss does eventually level out. I was on it about 6 years ago and lost 20 pounds -- that I needed to lose. While I got thin, I never got as thin as i am now.

But you didn't actually gain it back?
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ahhh. I'm so happy that you started this topic.

I started Wellbutrin about a month ago. I lost 6 pounds in a week and a half. I don't think that people can back the weight while they're on the medication but I've heard of people stopping WB and gaining.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I took welbutrin to quit smoking. It had the added affect of curbing my appetite as well. But once I stopped taking it, I started over eating again.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options

But you didn't actually gain it back?

I used Wellbutrin about two years ago and lost 25lbs in four months, but gained about 15 back when I stopped taking the medication. My doctor wanted for me to take it again but I decided to learn how to deal with the sadness and the weight loss in a healthy and natural way. I've lost all 15lbs since I started using MFP and use exercise plus my supports here (FL) for the times when the sadness wants to overcome.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Years ago I was on Welbutrin and a handful of other drugs for depression, PTSD and anxiety. The Welbutrin somehow makes the other drugs 'work' better, and the added side effect benefit was that a lot of people do lose weight on it. I did lose about 15 pounds in about 6 months, but I have no idea if it was because of the Welbutrin or because I was just generally feeling better and so I wasn't doing much emotional eating like I had been before.

It sounds like it is working for you since you're feeling better - good for you! Like someone else said - there are lots of meds out there and it lots of combinations and dosages, so if you find it really isn't doing much for you then talk to your doctor and talk about trying something else.

BTW - I'm not on any psych meds anymore! Woohoo!
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started on it 3 weeks ago, lost 9 pounds in 8 days, and then it slowed way down, a pound a week in the last 2 weeks. Your body should adjust to it, but definitely contact your doctor if it doesn't slow down :) I have not gained any of mine back.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and gain are common side effects. Hunger can be tied to the same mechanism altered by bupropion(reward seeking behaviors). There are a few new medications being studied that use this medication in a combination with others to achieve a synergistic effect.
  • topnotchgolden
    Options
    I was on it for years and decided with my dr. To slowly get off of it. Have been off it for a year, but gain like 20#. Just started back on it 2 days ago, lost 4# so far...
  • mikki7856
    mikki7856 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on Prozac back in January 2014, gained weight, about 12 lbs. I got more depressed. The doctor put me on Wellbutrin last week, and I feel so much better. I've lost 7 pounds. Drinking water like crazy. Yes it does make you constipated, which I hate. But so far, I feel great, not just for loosing weight, but I feel better.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Goodness, I don't remember losing anything when I started Wellbutrin.. lucky people! :D
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I took it 6 years ago after my second daughter was born, I came home from the hopstiol and was 199, within 6 months I had dropped to 135, but I wasn't eating alot at all, I can't remember if it was from the medicine or from the fact the child never slept more than 15-30 mins at a time and I slept cat naps rather than eating....I stopped taking it b/c I lost my insurance.

I just started taking it again, I'm hoping for some weight loss from it, along with help with the depression . Oddly enough though it has never helped with my smoking cravings, food yes smoking no.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Today is day 1 of Wellbutrin. I'd been on it 8 years ago and loved it but then my insurance changed and I could no longer afford it.

I'm excited but nervous. I love that others are sharing their experiences.