How do I get enough confidence to go runnning?

Options

Replies

• jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My advice:
    1. Put on running outfit (whatever clothes you choose), and place running shoes on you feet.
    2. pick a location
    3. start running
    4. don't care what other people think, it is about you, not them.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't want people to watch me run, lol. So I powerwalk instead. You can start off like that, and get more comfortable toward running as you go along.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just go - anytime I see someone out running, I cheer for them in my head because it's not easy to get your bum out there and keep moving!

Same! I always admire people when they are out jogging, no matter their fitness or ability. I felt dumb the first couple of times I did it, but it passed because I felt so great after. Go for it!!
  • soxx226
    soxx226 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try no to think about it, if your going alone just pop in some earphones and play music. Like someone else said most people ignore you anyway.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. First make sure you get fitted for the appropriate shoes. Then, go home and put them on (along with comfy running-wear). Then step out the door. Often time, putting on shoes and stepping out the door is the hardest part. Once you are moving remember that you are going faster than all of the non-runners who are sitting on the couch eating potato chips. And no worries about being slower than some, other runners will welcome you into the 'club'.
    Enjoy!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have a good running bra, good running shoes, and just go for it. People really don't look or care. They will forget about you 1/4 mile down the road and they are probably thinking to themselves that they wish they could do it. Just do it!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    justdoit_zps471a1810.jpg
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see some one running I get "mad" at them because they're making me look bad (and lazy). :)
  • Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree - JUST DO IT! I'm 225 and started running in my neighborhood when the weather broke a couple weeks ago. I just put in my ear buds and ignore everyone :) I'm slow as a snail & I jiggle now, but guaranteed someday I wont and they can all just kiss my *kitten*! LOL
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Tough love : Get yer *kitten* out there and just do it. :wink:

Things I like to keep in my when I go for a run and am feeling a wee bit self-conscious:

1) You are lapping everyone on the couch.
    2) You are going to feel amazing afterwards (wooo runner's high!).
    3) Whenever I see someone running... whether I know them or not... thin or obese... fit or flabby : I admire them. They are taking steps to better their health and that is an amazing, wonderful thing.

Will people see you? Yes. Will there be some haters out there? Probably. But I promise you that most people will be silently cheering you on. Running is hard and taking the initiative to step out that front door is brave and incredibly awesome.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Well, I would love to go running through my neighborhood, but just don't have the confidence to. The thought of kids I went to school with seeing me and frankly anyonr who will look at me, terrifies me. I'm a very slow runner right now and everything bounces lol. But it's embarrassing.
    Does anyone have any advice??
    Thank you!!
    I was like that, the first week I went out in a baggy teeshirt and leggings, a baseball hat and sun glasses...I said no one will recognize me. Then after about the 4x out and a bout i felt myself getting stronger and faster, people would smile and give me looks like you girl I instantly became proud of what I had accomplished and I wasnt so embarrassed anymore
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, and I'm slow. But you know what? When I'm running, that's where my mind is. Not on who is seeing me. If I'm driving and I see someone running, I think "I'm jealous. I wish I were running, too." If someone you know or used to know sees you going, they will either cheer you on or feel badly about themselves for not even getting out there to do something to better themselves. You are doing great things for yourself. Keep going. It gets easier, I promise.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Try finding your local high school track. They are often rubberized which is better on your joints and usually void of people. Then when you feel more confident then hit your local streets. Plus, the quarter mile track makes it very easy to track progress and improvement.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Just some food for thought: Whenever I see someone running I think to myself "man, they're out there running and here I am sitting on my butt in the car". If it's a bigger person running, I think about how if they can do it, I think about how awesome it is that they're getting out there and becoming healthier. I have no idea why anyone would have anything negative to think about when they see someone running, regardless of size, except maybe rotten little kids, and who cares what they think anyway ;)

Get out there girl! You'll be glad you did. <3
  • nroth57
    nroth57 Posts: 21
    Options
    Whenever I see someone - anyone - running outside, they make me feel lazy and motivated to go running, so if you are feeling self conscience, think about the people you are motivating as they drive/walk/etc by you! :)
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You just have to go out and do it. I felt the same way when I first started, especially since I could only walk in the beginning. Now I love getting out there to jog, and have even started venturing further away from my apt complex into more populated areas. The sooner you get out there and start doing it, the better off you'll be down the road :)
  • jayrae87
    jayrae87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think another runner would judge you because we all had to start somewhere! And if someone IS judging you, they most likely don't run, or exercise for that matter, and in that case, who gives a flying f***k about their opinion! I know it's harder to make yourself actually believe this, but you will begin to once you do it once or twice. I'm not exactly overweight, just looking to get in shape, but still struggle with running. There's nothing wrong with doing intervals and working your way up. Everyone has to start somewhere and you're a much better person than anyone who would ever judge you for taking your health into your own hands.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go streaking lol no one cares that you are running by. Don't let what ifs or excuses get in the way. Ask yourself "How bad do you want it?" and get out there and do it. #Happyrunning
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K!!! You start by "running" 30 seconds, then walking 14:30. Even if you run is more of a quick shuffle, as long as it's more strenous than your walking, your fine. And it works. I started last October and could barely get to 1:00 without feeling like passing out. My best 5k now is just over 28:00. It CAN be done!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I strongly urge you to go out and run, and not worry who sees you. The fact that you are willing to take such a positive step proves that you deserve to be rewarded with the feeling that running can give. Those that stare at you are in awe of you, those who mock wish they had your courage .

Go outside, do your run no matter how fast or slow, that is utterly irrelevant... What is important is that you are a runner and those roads are all yours... Go get 'em.