3000 Calorie Binge

Options
2»

Replies

• 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think it is very brave that you posted on this topic. I experienced the same feeling on Easter, when I had planned on having a "reward day", I ended up going waaaaayy overboard hitting the 5000 calorie mark, and it was the day after I found out i had lost a bunch of weight!! Pretty funny. I felt pretty down about myself and all the work I had put into my diet and exercise, but I read an article that said it can take up to 4 healthy exercise and diet days to feel better after a binge day. And it was right for me!!

1 day, 1 weekend, or even 1 month of eating poorly does not mean that losing weight and getting in shape is a hopeless situation.
    I agree with the previous posts, about keeping yourself distracted and replacing emotional eating with a healthier more creative activity, that is very important.

Ultimately the motivation has to start and end with YOU. If someone else thinks you should lose weight, or if you think someone else's motivation will become your motivation, it probably won't work in the long term. My advice is to find what will drive you to reach your goals, and what really makes you want to change your way of life. Then you have to commit. If you really feel like now is not the right time to seriously try to lose weight, then I suggest not forcing it. Do what makes you happy. And when YOU DECIDE the time is right, YOU WILL commit to reaching your goals.

It's a decision we make. And the great thing about it, is you have all the control and power to do so or not.

Thanks for posting on this topic. I can definitely relate.
    Best of luck!
  • HappyBayou
    HappyBayou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Miss Rosie.

What you've just described is something we all might experience at some point or other. For some of us, it's happened a lot! It can feel so weird and even scary, because it's as if you're watching yourself as some kind of disembodied out of control thing. It seems to happen after spells when you're especially strict with yourself. Over time, the more strict you are, the more 'hair trigger' you get with that curious alter-ego rebellion.

It's weird, because we learn so much these days about food science and physiology. There's a ton of information out there. Lots of success stories on these boards. But, what seems to be less available information-wise -- probably because it's harder to define -- is the head game involved with making changes.

You may be cruising along successfully for a while. Follow 'blah blah' food plan and 'XYZ' exercise and there you are, Bob's your uncle, you have your ideal body. Anyoyone can follow a program and see results. But, following something that is sustainable for a lifetime requires something more than brute force will power. It means finding that balance between what you want and the **timing** of getting there, and what you're likely to do in a realistic context.

I say all this because you seem up upset about 3000 lousy calories. :)

I'm not trivializing this. What I mean is, yes; 3000 calories is likely over your BMR /TDEE / WTF. But it's also a simple thing to smoothe out over the course of a week, and you need not feel any real difference in your weekly or monthly progress. UNLESS... you really are feeling that weird out-of-control thing that happens sometimes. (Girl, I've so been there. It's been a good long while, and it seems like it ought to be some forgettable hiccup, but it just messes with your mind. Even years later I shiver and am grateful for having worked past those head games.).

I realize you posted that thing about Doritos and Reese's as an accountability exercise. I'm just thinking you might find more long term satisfaction (both in physical results and peace of spirit) if you give that sweet girl (i.e., you) a break. :) Studies show people who take deliberate one- to two-week breaks every month or two during long term weight loss are more likely to stick with it and keep it off. There's a *physiological* benefit to your metabolism by interrupting calorie restriction, but there's also that ever-so-undervalued benefit to the psyche-- a *psychological* break. No one thinks they need this. But probably most of us do.

So my vote is: hang in there, maybe read The Four Day Win, and take a breath. And know that beating yourself up for things you've done that you wish you hadn't may not be as effective as rewarding yourself when you nail the little day-to-day successes.
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have trouble with binging, too. I suggest doing something that makes you happy and fulfilled while also distracting you whenever you feel the need to emotionally overeat. For example, I have started playing the piano to cope with my problem. Every time I feel stressed and anxious, I go practice piano. Maybe something artistic like writing, painting, etc. would help you. Or you could exercise for endorphins- that helps a lot of people, too. Just try different things until you find something that helps you. Good luck!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Rosie,

If I restrict myself, I set myself up for failure. A couple weeks ago I had a massive chocolate craving. I went next door (I work next to a grocery store), bought a giant slice of cake (which was 3 servings of 350-ish calories each), sat down, and went to town during my lunch. The next day I had lost a pound.

Know what you can do? Instead of a 30 minute walk tomorrow, go on an hour walk, or two 30 minute walks. Do another workout DVD at night or in the morning. You binged. So what? We all do it.

The important thing to remember is your body has no freaking clue what day it is. That's what's awesome! Don't think of your body as something with a 24 hour clock. Think of it more as a week-long clock. Pick a day to weigh yourself and stick with that. The other day I was 220 pounds. Today I was 223. Yesterday I was 221.5***. My body is retaining water because I'm strength training. I also ate too much sodium, so it retained from that (just random examples - I can't really remember what it was from). What you're seeing is normal weight fluctuations. If you weigh yourself in the morning and then mid-afternoon you might see as much as a FIVE POUND difference (yep, I've tried it and seen it!).

Some people even advocate for "cheat days" as a way to trick your body and "re-set" your metabolism. I dunno if it works, and haven't done my own research, but it's a thought.

So, like I said, pick a weigh-in day and stick with that. Don't weigh yourself every day or you might find yourself doing this more often, then shaming yourself, and eventually possibly giving in. Been there also.

Edit: ***I'm weighing every day for a couple weeks to see fluctuations for my own amusement
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Binged on Monday. After a couple night shifts (=no sleep), stressful situations at work, and PMSing, I ate whole pint of froyo and half a box of kasha cookies (but they're healthy, right?), a couple snack size bags of chips, etc. etc. Happy to say I logged all of it.

I have to just reiterate what everyone else has said. Be forgiving to yourself. We're only human. Mistakes happen, and when they do happen, they won't "ruin" this journey. Focus on all the healthy changes you've made-- maybe it's regularly exercising or drinking more water. I realize, like you, these days are not good, but it's not worth quitting all the healthy habits we've started!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The only thing a 5,000 calorie meal did was caused me to get physically sick.

Honestly, **** like this isn't even worth getting upset about.
  • acracklinrosie
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. I have read each and every post so far. You all have really great advice and have made me feel a lot better. I've even started planning ways to fix the problems I'm having. I have to be honest though. It was really never about the amount of calories... I've had more calories on purpose. I think it was more about how got to that point and the fact that only reason I allowed it to happen is because no one was around.

I will say that telling the "story" was an awesome release. I felt like crap as I was writing it, once I hit "post" is was like letting go of it. The out pouring of support didn't hurt either :) I would recommend it to anyone suffering from secret eating or bingeing. You know have make it public, but write it down anyway.

Thanks again everyone!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am so very familiar with your situation, and well done for sharing. I have the tendency to not log things when I'm ashamed of what I've eaten, so I'll usually be gone for a few days or a week, and then I'll pop back up on here again. Which I suppose is the reverse of the accountability that MFP is supposed to bring! I'm going through a cruddy patch right now so a friend suggested that I make my diary private for a while so that I get back into the habit of logging again, and so far it seems to be working well. Once I'm back in control I'll make it public again.

The only peice of advice I can give you in this situation is to keep yourself busy. It looks like being at home watching TV doesn't make you happy and it personally makes me feel quite agitated. And if it's common for you to feel bad when you weigh in then weigh in less often or chuck the scales out and rely on how your clothes fit.

Good luck :)
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's easy for me to have a super high kcal binge as well. The only things that work for me are:

-instead of spending time eating, I spend time working out or at least researching new workouts or healthy recipes

-not buying the stuff... If I have it, I will eat it, so I don't buy it

-Share! If I have some high kcal food around me in a big amount I share it with everyone who is around me. That way we all have some calories, but not too many.
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    First of all- don't panic EVERYBODY goes food crazy every now and again. Anyone who says they don't is a liar, whether it be out of emotional eating (like you) or at a celebration (from just not paying attention to consumption), we ALL do it, we're human.

Be proud that you can admit it. Most people will deny doing any wrong when trying to lose weight. I think you're more afraid that it'll happen again and jeopardise your diet. I have a two pieces of advice and I've successfully reached my diet goal:

1- Don't panic if the scales go up unexpectedly! There are plenty of reasons for this and here are the most common for me- You're a woman and hormones can play havoc with weight loss. No matter how hard I try, at certain times of the month my weight only shifts in one direction-UP! Exercise, although key to weight loss can also create two issues which can confuse matters- muscle mass and the fact I drink LOADS of water meaning most of it is water weight.

2- If you do give in to temptation it's natural to feel guilty- embrace it and move on. If you think you've failed you will continue to do so. No matter how many times I tell myself I won't eat takeaway at the weekend- I do and I go to town about it BUT the key is enjoy it, box it off and then get back on the horse. If you're not enjoying it what's the point in the first place!

I know not everyone is the same so feel free to discard what I've said but if it helps anyone reading this to feel better about themselves I'm happy.
  • aleldo
    aleldo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This was a very timely post for me. I have been struggling with binge eating all week (and truthfully, my entire adult life). In the moment, it feels so good and then the intense feelings of regret and shame sink in. In the past, these feelings of regret and shame would lead to further self-destructive behavior. In the last year I have been trying to deal with these episodes one by one. Not letting an evening, or a week of binge eating, completely derail all my hard work. I am trying to tell myself that I am worthy of happiness and these episodes never bring me more than a few fleeting moments of joy. I am trying to learn that if I fall off the wagon, I am worth getting back up and getting back on.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I;ve had some pretty good binges myself (thank you extra large Sonic chocolate shakes, pie, and soda!). I don't worry if it happens every so often though. No shame in enjoying life too. The key is to moderate binges and eat healthy a majority fo the time. And when you do binge, try to compensate with a bit more exercise or a few less calories that week.

Otherwise, it will all work out in the end (another pun for me!)
  • devmiller09
    Options
    That's it! That's the documentary! It was bugging me that I couldn't remember what it was called!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Seriously the next time you have such a craving, buy the stuff, just buy small quantities. Or put the bags in the kitchen, go to another room with a handful of doritos and one orea, and take tiny bites to make it last.

The key IMO is to not make it go so far that you end up binging. So if you want doritos, buy a single serve packet of doritos and make it fit in your calories.
  • lottylulu1969
    lottylulu1969 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your advice to this post,i have been up on the scales for the last 2 weeks,have only been on here for a month and was ready to give up! but this post has just put me back on the road, tommorrow is a new day,think im going to have a monthly weigh in day now,thanks for the motivation to carry on,here goes:)
  • brookekato
    brookekato Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always overeat and binge. I used to eat 4000 calories in a day because I binged so much over the holidays, but now it's gotten slightly better and seems to stay around 2500 when I binge (give or take a few hundred calories). I always pack on the pounds though and can never seem to get rid of them!! Does this happen to anyone else? I've gained all 15-20 I lost last year! :(