Rewards for your weight loss?

Options
People always are saying how they are going to reward them self when they reach a goal. They will go get a pedicure or buy those shoes they've been wanting.

I have an VERY hard time spending money. Rewarding myself with something that costs is more like a punishment.
So I lose a few lbs and I have to go spend money? umm... no.

I never set reward goals for myself because I am not the type of person who rewards herself.
I don't bother with challenges or goals because I'm not competitive.

My reward is fitting back into my pants. It's being more fit and more healthy. Yes, that's great.
But really???? I have accomplished a lot, and if I can actually get all the way down to the weight/size I am aiming for, that's a huge accomplishment I would have never thought possible 10 years ago.

I *should* reward myself, but maybe I'm just not that type of person.

So I have to think about it the other way around.
What will motivate me to do or buy things that I want?

If I'm going to lose a couple pounds anyway, why not make it a correlative goal.

There is one thing I want. It's 99 cents but I really can't bring myself to buy it because it seems unnecessary. I'm always trying to find ways around spending money.
Within the time frame of me losing another two pounds, I'm probably going to want it even more.
So when that happens, if I don't have it already, I'm going to buy it. Maybe. Either way, I'll still lose weight.

pfft! rewards..

Replies

• BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my weight loss journey I created a list of all the things I wanted to achieve during and after my weight loss. Look good in family photos, be able to run without losing my breath so quickly, ect, ect. My reward is getting to cross one thing off at a time!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my weight loss journey I created a list of all the things I wanted to achieve during and after my weight loss. Look good in family photos, be able to run without losing my breath so quickly, ect, ect. My reward is getting to cross one thing off at a time!

Ah yes! I'm totally with you! You get it!!

That's what I wanted too. I'm able to run a mile, I can buy clothes in the regular section now (not plus sized), I know how to cook and eat properly...

Now that I'm much closer to my goal I guess I can just think of other things :):)
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on personality. Some people respond better to tangible material goals, and if it works, kudos to them. But I'm with you in that better fitness and health has thus far been reward enough.

I have, however, been using the Everymove app which can link to the MFP app and gives points for healthy activities, which can be redeemed for rewards. Not really my motivation, but I figure since it's free and I'm already exercising, that it wouldn't hurt to be earning a gift card or something along the way.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't really buy myself things as a reward. But I do set weekly goals and when I meet all of them I get my reward. My rewards can something as simple as a piece of pizza. I try not to eat crap all week so when I am successful and hit my goals why not? It gives me something to work towards. If you can meet your goals without dangling a preverbial carrot then good on you. I personally use it as motivation.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    not having to worry about medical bills caused by a life time of obesity.......priceless
  • fly_butterfly
    fly_butterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The reward for my weight loss is having everyone saying "you're skinny"! :blushing:

THAT......to me is reward enough. :bigsmile:
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    not having to worry about medical bills caused by a life time of obesity.......priceless

for real!
    I was pushing diabetes at 25. I still have to be careful, but with the extra weight gone I'm less at risk.
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    The reward for my weight loss is having everyone saying "you're skinny"! :blushing:

THAT......to me is reward enough. :bigsmile:

When people notice and tell me I've accomplished something good it makes my day!
    My family pretty much ignores it which makes me sad but friends and workmates often remind me of what an accomplishment I've made. It's nice.

It's also really rewarding when people ask me fore recipies and exercise advice (and actually use it)
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    I don't really buy myself things as a reward. But I do set weekly goals and when I meet all of them I get my reward. My rewards can something as simple as a piece of pizza. I try not to eat crap all week so when I am successful and hit my goals why not? It gives me something to work towards. If you can meet your goals without dangling a preverbial carrot then good on you. I personally use it as motivation.

I've tried to avoid using food as a reward simply because I'm a binger, BUT like tonight I'm going to do some extra workout out because it's Friday and I want a beer! :)
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    I think it just depends on personality. Some people respond better to tangible material goals, and if it works, kudos to them. But I'm with you in that better fitness and health has thus far been reward enough.

I have, however, been using the Everymove app which can link to the MFP app and gives points for healthy activities, which can be redeemed for rewards. Not really my motivation, but I figure since it's free and I'm already exercising, that it wouldn't hurt to be earning a gift card or something along the way.

I love apps. *nerd* I'll look this up!

I use Forsquare and and stoked I'm the mayor of my gym.
    It really does get me going! man I'm a nerd. hahah
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. We have kids and spending money on myself is something I just dont do, even though I know I should. I reward myself by knowing Im healthier for my kids and husband. I reward myself with being able to fit in smaller clothes....worst part of losing weight, having to spend money on smaller clothes!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i like sexy lingerie, i like high heeled boots to the knees.,
    and i LOVE WHISKEY....
    good rewards i think.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I can't see why getting to shop for new clothes due to weight loss is a bad thing. I would be excited to be able to spend money on smaller clothes. And I plan on spending ALOT once I complete Jillian's 90 day program. :happy:
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I love apps. *nerd* I'll look this up!

I use Forsquare and and stoked I'm the mayor of my gym.
    It really does get me going! man I'm a nerd. hahah

Foursquare links to it too! I get 5 points each time I check into the gym. :)
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    i like sexy lingerie, i like high heeled boots to the knees.,
    and i LOVE WHISKEY....
    good rewards i think.

hahaha I love whiskey too. But it shows up in the house no matter what I weigh!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I like to buy myself new workout clothes! It does nothing but make me want to get back in the gym and use them, so it's a win.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    My reward will be looking as sassy on the outside as I feel on the inside. :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I bought new clothes because I dropped 2 sizes, not necessarily because I was rewarding myself. I do love to buy new clothes, but I did that even before I lost. The only real reward I got was feeling like me again. I've been thin for most of my life. I just don't feel like me when I carry extra weight. I feel suggish.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like to buy myself new workout clothes! It does nothing but make me want to get back in the gym and use them, so it's a win.

That's exactly what I do too. My whole closet is nothing but compression pants, running shorts, tank tops and sports bras!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have one big reward for when I reach my goal weight: a dress from White House, Black Market, which I would NEVER buy normally because I'm too cheap. And the only reason for doing so is that I'm trying to replace rewarding myself with food with something else.

Although I agree, the boost in self-esteem is quite the reward.