Healthy Breakfast Options

Options
Does anyone have ideas for a quick and easy breakfast that is reasonably priced?

Replies

• JustDeke
    JustDeke Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday I make a fritata with 10-12 eggs and an assortment of veges—favorites being spinach, mushrooms, basil, tomato, roasted red peppers. Then every morning I just cut a piece, heat it in the microwave for two minutes, and I'm good to go. Cheap, easy, and tasty.

-Deke
    Follow my progress:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JustDeke
  • joannanm
    joannanm Posts: 13
    Options
    Sounds good - thanks!
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Omelette with either strawberries or blueberries on the side.
  • StantonLeFort
    StantonLeFort Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Regular or low-suger oatmeal, with unsweetened apple sauce if needed, is a great starchy carb and very filling. If you want to balance that out, add protein powder in the mix and a fruit (e.g. banana) on the side.

A box of 10 will cost a few dollars on sale.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/quaker-instant-oatmeal
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with omelets. Love them!
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am really lazy in the am and I eat Kashi cereals. They are nutritious and good.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Eggs are super cheap. I scramble one egg and 2 egg whites in the microwave with a little shredded cheese - very quick and a good amount of protein. Keeps me full till lunch.
  • MissPerfect2012
    MissPerfect2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Normally have weetabix, porridge or belvita
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can also make up mini "omelettes" in a muffin tin on Sunday. Make all 12 then you can a couple a day. Take with you on the way out the door. Healthy and quick.
  • kimberly728
    kimberly728 Posts: 124
    Options
    Eggs are super cheap. I scramble one egg and 2 egg whites in the microwave with a little shredded cheese - very quick and a good amount of protein. Keeps me full till lunch.

i do exactly this and put it on an english muffin... sometimes i even add hot sauce. its quick and easy and i can make it home or at work, and it keeps me full for over 5 hours most of the time.
  • khalilahmoody
    Options
    ONE PACK OF PLAIN REGULAR FLAVOR QUAKER OATMEAL WITH ONE TEASPOON OF CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER MIXED IN WHILE IT'S STILL BURNING HOT. IT'S ALMOST LIKE A COMFORT FOOD FOR ME. IT IS VERY FILLING AND IT TASTES DELICIOUS IF YOU LIKE PEANUT BUTTER. GOOD PROTEIN.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use Egg Beaters or Egg Whites, 3/4 cup is 90 calories and equivalent to three large eggs in volume. I toss in 1/4 cup of whatever veggies I have--last week I was using up home made Bruscetta. Under 200 calories (under 150 if no tomatoes are involved) no fat and filling.

About every third day I have rolled oats (not instant) that I add either blueberries or raisins to. I cook them in the microwave, takes two minutes and total cost is under $.50.

Once a week I'll have Greek Yogurt and a hard boiled egg just to change thing up.
  • MaryLeizinger
    MaryLeizinger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like a Vita-top with coffee. (They are frozen high fiber muffin tops with vitamins and I get them at Target).
    Only 100 calories and they are filling and come in several yummy flavors.

I also do Medifast powdered eggs or a Medifast shake. Both are 100 calories and packed with vitamins.
    The eggs are mostly whites I think -- a powdered egg beater.
    I sauté up some spinach, onions and mushrooms and top with the egg mixture and cook until set,
    or maybe red pepper, celery and onion,
    or 1 oz of ham and top with 1 Tablespoon of shredded cheese.
    Sometimes I do the eggs plain and top with salsa.

1/2 of whole wheat english muffin and 1 Tablespoon of no sugar added natural chunky peanut butter.

Sliced strawberries topped with of dollop of plain greek yogurt and sprinkled with cinnamon. Any fruit is good.
  • caraashworth9
    Options
    crockpot oatmeal- you can use old fashioned, steelcut, or groats. I add ground flax seed, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and vanilla extract (for one cup olfashioned oats, use about 1.5-2 cups water, for steel cut or groats use 4 cups water for one cup oatmeal). in the morning i spoon it out, splash on whatever milk or milk substitute I have, and if I'm feeling fancy, add some walnuts and chocolate chips-YUM. The crockpot does all the work!

Vanilla or Honey greek yogurt with sliced fruit- I've used bananas, strawberries, and blueberries. Sometimes I'll add a 1/4 cup of granola for crunch

sandwich- who says its just for lunch? try toby's tofu pate with lots of veggies! I eat this, or smashed beans on toast when I'm not in the mood for a super sweet or savory breakfast
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I make 5-6 servings of steel cut oats on Sunday, put them in glass storage bowls with my fav toppings (almonds, walnuts, turbinado sugar, milk, butter), and then I'm ready for the week. I'm always rushed weekday mornings so I've got to have the cooking done in advance. I love eggs/bacon on the weekends though. I never get tired of oatmeal :).
  • msjack32
    msjack32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake, greek yogurt or instant oatmeal. The oatmeal is very filling. You could even do all 3 for around 330 calories.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My normal weekday breakfast is a bowl of rolled oats (plain) made with water in the microwave for 1 1/2 minute dash of salt, a apple half of the apple cut in to thin slices or chunks in the oatmeal, cinnamon for flavor in the oatmeal. The other half of apple for out of hand eating and a cup of green tea. My total calories is 176, I never figured out the cost but I think it is less then a Mcmuffin. 40g of carbs, 2g of fat, 4g of protein not to mention antioxidants and caffeine from the tea fiber from the apple and oatmeal.

The fiber keeps me full, the caffeine gives me a quick pickup and the sugar from the apple is a burst of energy. You could change out the plain oatmeal for some packet kind with artificial sweetener and flavors but I am trying to cut out any artificial sweeteners. I do have high cholesterol and am trying to bring it down by eating oatmeal.
  • joannanm
    joannanm Posts: 13
    Options
    So many great ideas - thanks, everyone! :)