Afterglow from Binge Eating?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Food can give the same pleasure as heroine. There are several studies that I am sure the BroSci PHD crowd can comment on in full detail. In fact, the newest studies are attempting to validate the findings that even the genes involved are similar or the same.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22450260 < similarities in food and drug brain response

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23543232 < common phenotypes in food and drug addictions

This kind of research doesn't remove the blame from the individual, but it sure as hell explains why it can be so damn hard for some of us to not do these things.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Food can give the same pleasure as heroine. There are several studies that I am sure the BroSci PHD crowd can comment on in full detail. In fact, the newest studies are attempting to validate the findings that even the genes involved are similar or the same.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22450260 < similarities in food and drug brain response

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23543232 < common phenotypes in food and drug addictions

This kind of research doesn't remove the blame from the individual, but it sure as hell explains why it can be so damn hard for some of us to not do these things.

Awesome. BriSci Rocks! Anyway I'll read these later, thanks.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i think it's food drunk. when you eat a lot, the blood gets redirected from your brain to your gut to help digest. i've seen it on man v food :laugh:

yup food drunk!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    um,,,, i get a glow after drinking, but eating, um NO!
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think that this may be the "bliss factor" talked about ...often as a result of eating processed food ;-)
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Were you high? Cause it sounds like you're describing the feeling of eating something while stoned and it's like the best thing you've ever eaten in your life.

I had a moment in high school with a package of smores poptarts and a large pizza. It was beautiful.

Lmfao thankyou for this
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Were you high? Cause it sounds like you're describing the feeling of eating something while stoned and it's like the best thing you've ever eaten in your life.

I had a moment in high school with a package of smores poptarts and a large pizza. It was beautiful.

:laugh:
  • laurenbrooke79
    laurenbrooke79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Sometimes I get it with cereal, and its like after that bite that gives me the euphoric feeling , ill be done eating. Its so strange when I have it.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Everything you need to know, you learned in kindergarten. Yep it's a sugar high.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I feel like doing that with pasta, but I know it would make me sick....lol.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    it's the sugar carb addiction in full swing. It's the same reason I have been walking miles and miles these past two weeks to compensate for all the Easter candy.
  • triciap7
    triciap7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a book called _A Course in Weight Loss_ by Marianne Williams, which is really helpful in understanding how our emotions are related to our eating habits. We associate feeding ourselves with loving ourselves. We say, "I will reward myself with this ice cream," when it is not a loving thing at all to overeat and cause our bodies disease (heart disease, diabetes, etc.). It is difficult, but not impossible to change the way we've been "hardwired" to have emotional responses to food. It means changing the way we think, which will then change our behavior. I found Marianne's book to be a great first step. Good luck!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've get that kind of feeling occasionally, and it doesn't have to be from sugar. The most recent time, I had been slaving away in the kitchen making an elaborate meal with a friend, lunch was later than usual, all the chopping and slicing and grating and blending and the smells of caramelized onions and spices...when I took the first bite I audibly sighed and was just.so.happy in that moment. It was fish tacos, the best durn fish tacos I've ever had. :smokin:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Candycane777
    Options
    That most definitely wasn't a binge. If I binge I just feel like a weak willed loser! I certainly do not feel good after it. I feel fat, bloated, sick and like i've let myself down. The pleasure is very fleeting, and confined to before binging and during. Not ever afterwards.

By the end of a binge my stomach hurts - like I ate so much it doesn't fit
  • CrazyWhiskers
    CrazyWhiskers Posts: 63 Member
    Options

:laugh:

^ This. Is true.
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    * Addiction * is the one word. I had lived like that for more years than I can count. I know exactly what you mean, nothing else matters when you are sitting there taking in those spoonful's of fatty sweet "goodness" so is one side of your brain telling you. The other is saying what the hell you doing but we shut that one up and just need to feel that calming satisfaction. Unfortunately the guilt follows.
    Crazy enough I even got to the stage of after losing a few pounds then getting on the scales and seeing a little back on there was a strange feeling of relief. Nuts I know. but such was my intent on staying where I was. I went to a psychologist for 2 years, did nothing as far as my food addiction was concerned, but I did end up working for her. lol.

I only have recently found what is helping me and that is knowledge of how our food is grown and what is in our food. No way I'm going to be eating something with cornstarch (or any corn product unless its grown organically) in it when I know how they are growing their crops, changing the structure of a normal seed then feeding it with chemicals strong enough to kill any prey trying to attack the crop but the crop still survives then that is feed to us. Or the substances that clean your toilet bowl rots food in a few days to the bone and used to clean machines not to mention there is a by product from some bugs waste! I haven't had a sip of coke since. The corn information I saw on a documentary about farmers and farming in the USA. Very eye opening.

The two sites that have helped me is infowars and cafeholistic and my motivation is my little grandson who is only 5mths old, I want to be healthy and around for him and not be the fat Granma when I go to his school. I cant finally feel in control of what I am putting into my body and the choices I am making. And not thinking every morning that I need to be "good" and then going to bed thinking I failed. That is all gone. :)

I hope it helps you. x
  • gymalien
    gymalien Posts: 2
    Options
    I wrote an essay for english the other day and put it up on my facebook page (GymAlien) Here's part of it:

May 14, 2012 — Why does one person become anorexic and another obese? A study

recently published by a University of Colorado School of Medicine researcher shows that

reward circuits in the brain are sensitized in anorexic women and desensitized in obese

women. The findings also suggest that eating behavior is related to brain dopamine

pathways involved in addictions. "It is clear that in humans the brain's reward system

helps to regulate food intake" said Guido Frank, MD, assistant professor director of the

Developmental Brain Research Program at the CU School of Medicine

University of Colorado Denver. "Brain circuitry is different for women with

anorexia and obesity."ScienceDaily, 14 May 2012. Web. 9 Apr. 2013.

So, why do we need a reward of good feelings to eat? Or rather, why do some

people eat to feel good and others eat because they are hungry. The answer is, when

we have unmet needs we feel bad. Simple, huh? And further, when we feel bad we

want to feel less bad/pain. So, when we feel bad or in pain and get less pain from some

drug (even a perfectly natural, internal one) we are creating addiction. Neuropath ways

are created when we find successful ways of reducing pain. And the more we use

these pathways the more they become strengthened and ingrained. Can you see how

that might lead to addictive behaviours?