distance runner trying to clean up my diet

Options
hi guys, my name is Robert & i live in Houston.
I've been running for a couple years now & gotten in really great shape but I'd like to clean up my diet & be more mindful of what i'm eating. Hopefully i can lose those last few pounds in the middle and get a little more lean.
garbage in, garbage out they say...

Anyway I'm mostly using the site as a food journal & look forward to talking with you guys on the forums.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    way to go ROBERT!,
  • runnerdea
    Options
    I just started for the exact same reason!!! Cheers!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hi Robert and welcome!

If you like you could change your diary settings to public, and we might be able to give some suggestions!
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    Good luck Robert. I really like the resources here: marksdailyapple.com for nutritional advice.
  • RobertInCypress
    Options
    thanks guys, it should be set to public view now.
    i like the stuff on marksdailyapple but its a little too paelo for me? i'm an endurance guy & i usually go carb heavy on foods.
  • coltrane23
    coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to think that Primal/Paleo was low carb, too. I've learned over time though that you simply have to earn the carbs and pay attention to your sources. So yeah, a distance runner like yourself will want more carbs than your average desk jockey looking to lose some weight. I like berries, sweet potatoes, rice and squash for carbs. More generally go with low-glycemic fruits and starchy tubers.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, it should be set to public view now.
    i like the stuff on marksdailyapple but its a little too paelo for me? i'm an endurance guy & i usually go carb heavy on foods.

I'm a distance runner and eat primal--only 25% of my daily cals com from carbs (fruits and veggies only) and I have no problem with endurance :-)
  • buttonfeet
    buttonfeet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek (7 consecutive WS100 wins, Badwater winner) and it scared the crap out of me. He started out eating crap, but cleaned up his diet. I won't spoil it, but suffice it to say that the book is definitely worthwhile in your situation. Happy running, bro!
  • RobertInCypress
    Options
    I'm reading "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek (7 consecutive WS100 wins, Badwater winner) and it scared the crap out of me. He started out eating crap, but cleaned up his diet. I won't spoil it, but suffice it to say that the book is definitely worthwhile in your situation. Happy running, bro!

I'm a big Scott Jurek fan. his book got me started on the "eating better" kick. He's a total vegan, some guys go paleo, lots of different ideas out there.
    i like everything in moderation. I stay away from sodas & sugary garbage drinks, most candy & sweets...

I think I drink too much beer to have nice abs though.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a running addict too brother. See you around on here!!
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No too many entries to go off of, but I did see that you had two of those days with fairly high sodium intake (3000+ and 4000+). I'd say try to stay near the recommended value of 2000 - 2500mg. Too much sodium could lead to high blood pressure despite being as active as you are. Don't go under by too much either because you'll need the sodium to keep from dehydrating as you run.