Whats the differance..

Options
.. between running on a tredmill and doing the elliptical ??? I used to run ALOT about 2 years ago and Im trying to get back into it but I notice when running on the tredmill about 5 minutes into it, from my knees down they feel like weights and I feel like I can barely lift them (this is all while running) then when I set the tredmill to lower like 3.4 mph my feet are literally dragging its like I dont have control over them.... is this typical... I dont ever remeber this happeneing... I just want to know if I switch to doing the elliptical will I be working the same muscle groups? is it a better work out?

Replies

• jamieerindesigns
    Options
    .. between running on a tredmill and doing the elliptical ??? I used to run ALOT about 2 years ago and Im trying to get back into it but I notice when running on the tredmill about 5 minutes into it, from my knees down they feel like weights and I feel like I can barely lift them (this is all while running) then when I set the tredmill to lower like 3.4 mph my feet are literally dragging its like I dont have control over them.... is this typical... I dont ever remeber this happeneing... I just want to know if I switch to doing the elliptical will I be working the same muscle groups? is it a better work out?
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The elliptical machine pretty much works the same muscles, but because it takes some of the stress off your limbs, you also lose in how many calories you burn. However, I think it's well worth it to be able to do an elliptical machine for over an hour while I'm unable to run for a few minutes because of the pain in my feet.
  • jilybean
    jilybean Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I struggle with not being able to lift my feet up when I get tired too, I have an elliptical and love it, it really allows me to workout for a longer period of time than a treadmill does. I feel like I get the same workout with out having to worry about tripping myself :) I'm not sure if this issue is typical, but maybe you want to check with your Dr. I wouldn't think that if you are in fairly decent shape and don't have any underlying medical issues, you should tire quickly.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    from what i have read the elliptical is just about equal to running on a treadmill its just alot less impact-- And the upper body workout you get from the swinging arms on the elliptical give a double workout- thats what Jillian from Biggest Loser says
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I am doing 25 minutes 3x a week on elliptical traininer, minus the arms -- yea sorry I'm a newb and don't want to burn out in the first 3 weeks, so I'm going easy. I don't have any problem with my legs, but the area just above my BUTT KILLS ME! If not for that, I could go much longer. I'm wondering if the muscles in that area just need to adjust to the new demands. Anybody?
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I am doing 25 minutes 3x a week on elliptical traininer, minus the arms -- yea sorry I'm a newb and don't want to burn out in the first 3 weeks, so I'm going easy. I don't have any problem with my legs, but the area just above my BUTT KILLS ME! If not for that, I could go much longer. I'm wondering if the muscles in that area just need to adjust to the new demands. Anybody?

That sounds a lil strange. Are you standing up straight?
  • ssheldon318
    Options

Me too! I thought it was just me!!! I'm not sure what the prob is though...
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Personally I am not a fabulous runner. I do what I can though.
    The elliptical machine just doesn't do it for me. I feel like it doesn't do enough. I've been told that its equivalent to running, but I really don't believe it. The conditioning factor doesn't come close.

Both are good, but I feel like running does much more for me.
  • jamieerindesigns
    Options
    thanks for all the advice... I think I will hit the eliptical for a few weeks until a build up some more leg muscle and then try the tredmill again.

As for the butt thing, not to sure about that, maybe your squeezing your butt while youre doing the elliptical (that's all I can think of) when it starts buring you should go back wards on it then it will work your quads and take some of the stress off your behind:flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

Far as I can tell.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Far as I can tell.

Make sure you are stretching out your lower back after the workout. You might also want to incorporate some calisthenics for core strength (concentrating on the lower back muscles). Since the exercise is newer for you, you may just be holding tension there. If you're not stretching after your workout, start doing it. It's very important. Very! (I used to get the same pain) If you're at a high incline, you might try lowering it, or at least varying it during the workout.