keeping sugar intake down thread

Options
hey everyone! first poster here,

I started watching what i eat/ exercising a week, and it going well :) but using the calorie counter is frustrating me, I'm about 1000 calories UNDER my goal daily, but over on sugar!

So lets chat maximizing calories without using sugar. :)

(For me, its eating too much sugar for breakfast. cereal, hot cross buns(as its easter) but any handy low sugar tips? )

Replies

• SaraAnnAye
    Options
    I am having this same problem! It seems that I over eat on sugars for breakfast :( ... I am usually right at my goals but always always sugar is way over! What can we do?! lol HELP!!
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I go over too but that's bc I love fruit and refuse to limit my fruit (at least for now). I don't eat anythign w/ added sugar - I don't have cereal, I don't add sugar to oatmeal, I use Stevia in my coffee, I eat plain yogurt and add fruit to it (so no added fake sugars), etc. It keeps it down but I still go over becuase of the fruit, milk, yogurt and veggies (carrots, etc). I figure that as long as I go over due to healthy things I'm not going to freak out about it.

In general, as long as you're under your calorie intake you'll be fine - just make sure you have enough protein and fat and it's not all carbs.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to do so I wouldn't really pay attention to the sugar amounts here. I actually removed mine because it was in red before I even finished breakfast due to the fruit I eat.

I would suggest trying to get your sugar from fruits though. Although sugar is sugar fruits come with so many more nutrients than cereal and such.

Personally I only pay attention to my added or refind sugars which I rarely eat anymore.
  • weesinglane
    Options
    I actually make my oatmeal savory - does anyone else do this?? I cook it stove-top, with egg, cabbage, and mushrooms... add salt and pepper. Full until lunch!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Your need to control Sugar can stem from many diferent reasons.

My therapist has traced my control issue to some childhood abuse I dealt with, but your reason may be anything, maybe you just find it fun!

Methods of controlling Sugar include whips, retraints (handcuffs or otherwise), etc.

And don't worry about it, Sugar LOVES being controlled. If it's good for both of you, just enjoy the experience! :flowerforyou:
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

My therapist has traced my control issue to some childhood abuse I dealt with, but your reason may be anything, maybe you just find it fun!

Methods of controlling Sugar include whips, retraints (handcuffs or otherwise), etc.

And don't worry about it, Sugar LOVES being controlled. If it's good for both of you, just enjoy the experience! :flowerforyou:

objectification_zps167b0a72.gif

If you need some sugar, I AM your neighbor!!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I started watching what i eat/ exercising a week, and it going well :) but using the calorie counter is frustrating me, I'm about 1000 calories UNDER my goal daily, but over on sugar!

(For me, its eating too much sugar for breakfast. cereal, hot cross buns(as its easter) but any handy low sugar tips? )

Why in the world would you be 1k cals UNDER your GOAL? It's a goal for a reason.....as far as I am concerned you might as well be 1k cals over....it's just as bad. Good luck on your journey......oh and sugar doesn't make you fat.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

*blink, blink, blink* HECK yea!!
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    objectification_zps167b0a72.gif

If you need some sugar, I AM your neighbor!!
    [/quote]

bwaaahaaa OMG ^^ this seriously made my already hurting abs sore!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also just recently joined and am searching my way through all the information. I have the same problem, I am short on calories, but over in sugar, even though ( like today ) the sugar seems to be from fresh oranges and other natural things. I figure we are supposed to eat fruit and now am trying to find out which fruit has less sugar than oranges, especially in a country where all the local fruit are tropical and very sweet.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

unless you are diabetic or have another medical reason to curtail sugar intake, you don't even need to track the stuff. track your carbs -- that's where sugars will break down anyway -- and fats and protein. you'll be good.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • Ang108
    Options
    I am glad that I read your post. I am in the same situation as you and started to worry, because I can't see how to cut out home made yogurt ( which for me is a big part of my protein intake ), veggies, fruit and the sweet potatoes ( plain, baked ) I eat several times a week for health reasons.
    I think I will do the same and just make sure that I stay within my calories, which does not seem to be a problem.
  • HMH1965
    HMH1965 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all

Just started using this system and ok so far except my sugars have been well over and it's by eating fruit as I don't add sugar to cereal, drinks etc. Normally about 200 calories under.

Any suggestions for packed lunches to take to work ?

Helen
  • caseykinney40
    caseykinney40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started and the sugar is way over for me too. Did you see the post referring to 50,50 calorie snacks?
    I'm love my snack time so I'll be trying some of them.
  • Ang108
    Options
    I also make my oatmeal savory. I took the idea from an Indian recipe called Upma. It has chopped onions, tomatoes, lots of cilantro and fresh chile chopped to taste. I eat it with a bit of home made yogurt and think it's really delicious.