what's a good diet? I'm starting to diet as of tomorrow...

Options
I weight 195 and want to get to 150. Being realistic, I KNOW it will take time so I want a healthy diet. I tried a diet before but fainted after working out (it wasn't healthy figured) any help or suggestions would be great.

I want to start exercising, what would you recommend?

Replies

• CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I recommend you read through all of the stickies that are posted for newbies. Tons of very helpful information.
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    eat at a calorie deficit is the best "diet" you can be on. Calculate your tdee subtract 20% and you will lose weight
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I recommend not starting a diet. Start by just tracking everything you are eating now, everyday for 30 days and then take a good look at it. How many calories are you eating? What are your food preferences? What shows up over and over? What is lacking from your current diet? Protein? Veggies?
    Then, Google BMR calculator and figure out what your BMR is.
    Next Google TDEE calculator and figure out what your TDEE is.
    Plan to have your net calories fall somewhere between those numbers.
    Then slowly and gradually change anything in your current diet that you think needs changing. (i.e. add veggies or protein, limit sweets or alcohol, switch to high fiber cereal, etc.)
    Exercise 30-45 minutes per day (cardio+weights) for your good health.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Read the stickies- lots of useful stuff.

I personally do TDEE-15% and love it. I also have a fitbit one (fancy pedometer) which helps me. The best diet is one you can do forever- can you live forever with low carb? Shakes as replacement meals? No processed foods? I personally follow the 80/20 thought- 80% healthy food (lean protein, whole grains, fruit and veggies) and 20% crap. I am very happy and losing.

Working out- I do DVDs and elliptical at home. Will hit weight room when baby can go to daycare. I do about 30 minutes a day. I don't believe in killing myself for hours at the gym.

I started all of this by first counting my calories with no changes. This gave me a baseline to see what foods were killing me. I learned a lot that way. Then I started making small changes. I really don't feel like I am on a "diet".
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I would start by entering a regular day of what you were eating into your MFP food diary. This will help you see where you need to trim things. Then start to swap out things for lower calorie foods. For example, when I started I used to eat a bagel with one egg and one slice of american cheese with ketchup and coffee for a usual breakfast. I made changes by using only 1/2 slice of cheese, a bagel thin or 100 calorie english muffin, and no ketchup. Then I wound up going to 1/4 slice of cheese. I also started to add in veggies to my eggs. Anyways, you get the idea.

You know yourself, and going cold turkey and completely revamping your diet does not work for everyone.

Also, try to plan your meals in your food diary one day ahead.

Best of luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Start by tracking what you usually eat, while you read around here and figure out what is the appropriate amount of food. When you figure out how many calories you should eat, then look at what you are eating and start making changes so you are eating more healthy things and less unhealthy things.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Read this, it has some great information for beginners. http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/wiki/faq

:)
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Read this and feel free to ask questions. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Personally I set my goal at -1.5lbs/week, which is a 750cal deficit each day, but what I really aim for is to keep myself in the range of 500-1000 deficit. Allows me to feel I can have a beer with dinner if I want even though it pushes me over the 750 mark, and means I am not starving myself by eating under my goal, which was an issue when I had it set for 1000 deficit (-2lbs/week).

Track your exercise (Strength training can be entered under cardio to get a rough calorie count), and eat back the calories.
    Oh, I set everything to sedentary life style and 0 calories burnt in weekly workout, so it doesn't matter if like this week I didn't make it to the gym.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Start tracking today.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
  • msagrero08
    msagrero08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Exactly what she adviced you!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The way to be successful is to look at this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods just have them in moderation.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    just here to vote for everything they said so far ^^
  • mirandacox
    mirandacox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "diets" aren't really a good idea. i would track the foods you eat and really see how many calories you are consuming and then see where you can cut back without depriving yourself. it's all about a long-term lifestyle change, not a short-term diet.
  • blwenz
    blwenz Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. "Diet" is just a word. Your diet is what you eat, and it should be sustainable for a lifetime. People that enter 60 and 90 day weight loss programs gain the weight right back, or quit before they get to the end because its too overwhelming. Also, Why are you waiting until tomorrow? Start logging calories right now. You don't even have to change what you eat, just get an idea of what you are taking in, and make adjustments that you are comfortable with. BTW, everyone here is rooting for you so you definately came to the right place if you need support:wink: