Brown Rice

2»

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    I looove brown rice with black beans,cilantro,onion and garlic. I put frozen veggies and veggie stock in the rice cooker to cook it,too. I also love Brown rice with red lentils,peas and cauliflower.Mmmmmmmmm.Cauliflower.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Garlic, salt and pepper. Any other spices also.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 733 Member
    If you can find brown basmati rice, it has a better flavor. Anyway, a quick yummy dish is to get Everson's Cajun Sprinkles. You can order online if not on your area. A quick dash of it makes a not too spicy but great rice dish. Also awesome on fish.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Chopped green onions and good-quality tamari soy sauce.
  • Doberdawn
    If you can find brown basmati rice, it has a better flavor. Anyway, a quick yummy dish is to get Everson's Cajun Sprinkles. You can order online if not on your area. A quick dash of it makes a not too spicy but great rice dish. Also awesome on fish.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Why's it always gotta be brown rice?

Good question.

I did a comparison of the nutritional values of white rice, brown rice, and wild rice, and they are amazingly similar.

I do like the flavor of wild rice sometimes, but most of the time, I just use white rice for the convenience.

I guess it depends on the way the brown rice is processed, because I have done comparisons, too, and found that some brown rice has twice as much fiber as white rice, while others have three or four times as much fiber. The kind I get is minimally processed and it has much more fiber than plain white rice. Fiber has been the key to my physical well-being - no joke, it has really helped me overcome some serious health problems - so it's the main macro I watch and I make sure I get some in whenever I can! :flowerforyou:
  • Doberdawn
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained

1 can diced tomatoes

I use all no salt added or low sodium versions

1/2 cup red onion, chopped

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Hot sauce to taste - I use Sriracha

1 Cook brown rice.

2 In a medium bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce

3To serve, put a scoop of hot rice in a bowl or on a plate, top with a generous scoop of the black bean mixture.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Uncle Ben's...
    They have a bunch and you just pop them in the microwave for 90 seconds. :p
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Usually when I make rice it is because I am putting something over it, like Chile Verde.
  • SexyCool13
    SexyCool13 Posts: 11 Member
    I've tried several recipes and this one seems to work the best. I find that I have to steam it for a little longer than recommended though (maybe 5 extra minutes).

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Perfect-Brown-Rice

I agree. This rice is perfect every single time. I won't make it any other way anymore.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    I often cook half brown and half basmati rice add twice as much boiling water as total rice and cook for 23 minutes in the microwave(if you use 1 cup) . It cooks perfectly if you leave it to stand for 3 minutes before serving and is a nice change from just brown rice.