im not getting enough calories in my diet yet i want too los

Options
i weigh 150 and im 5ft. i want to lose weight but today i only ate about 650 calories-without trying. i dont know what to do.

Replies

• conflictedlikethe5thdimension
    Options
    i dont want my matabolism to slow-i think its already slow though.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    omg. you're going to starve yourself. you HAVE to take in more calories!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    WOW that is 2 of my 6 meals! Please eat the minimum of 1200 for a woman.
  • eelizabethh
    Options
    I do that too, I eat about 600-700 calories everday, I don't mean to but I'm just trying to eat healthily.. I'm trying to eat more but then I end up eating too much. You can't win..
    My food diary tells me that my body will go into starvation mode and that it'll be harder for me to lose the weight but I don't like eating 1200 calories a day, I'm just not that hungry..
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Sweetie you have to eat. Try eating high calorie healthy choices.....peanut butter is one, avocados and nuts. They won't fill you up as fast and they are super good for you!!!! Best wishes!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I do that too, I eat about 600-700 calories everday, I don't mean to but I'm just trying to eat healthily.. I'm trying to eat more but then I end up eating too much. You can't win..
    My food diary tells me that my body will go into starvation mode and that it'll be harder for me to lose the weight but I don't like eating 1200 calories a day, I'm just not that hungry..

before you go into starvation mode, you'll just kill your metabolism, you're doing your body much more harm then good. You have to eat to lose, if your body has nothing to fuel itself, it'll just slow everything down, making your weight loss damn near impossible. Proper nutrition, and exercise will increase your metabolism, and you will lose weight...you have to start feeding your body.
  • Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Both of you would appear to be suffering from a really slow metabolism. Maintaining the status quo will not get you anywhere. As KeriD mentions - try fitting in some healthy high-calorie options.
  • AmeliaDouglas
    AmeliaDouglas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    'Without even trying'? I wonder what you were eating before -and not losing weight??? I have been made to understand that eating too few calories will reduce your metabolism and muscle mass and eventually cause you to gain weight. I recently set up my 80+ year old grandma on MFP and even though she is 6 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter than me, it suggests she eats the same 1200 calories per day as everyone else. This can't be right. Can you share what you ate in this 650 calorie day? Is it lots and lots of foods that are low calorie (like veggies)? I tend to eat calorie rich foods (fats and proteins)... I try to eat lower fat/calorie foods so that I can eat more food and feel less hungry. I feel like since I started MFP I am STARVING and obsessed with food, but losing weight!
    Options
    i ate like 8 thick slices of fried zucchini. a cup of blue berries. a ham sand which. thats it i think. ive m ade it a goal to drink 8 cups of water every day and ive been doing it even though i hate water. it fills me up i guess. i have like no energy to exercise. i went for a walk/jog today and it burned up some calories .
    Options
    it says i ate 691 calories. not counting the 71 i burned off. ive only been awake foe 11 hours and im tired-like real tired. last night i slept/stayed in bed for 12 hours i think
  • Photoplex
    Options
    it says i ate 691 calories. not counting the 71 i burned off. ive only been awake foe 11 hours and im tired-like real tired. last night i slept/stayed in bed for 12 hours i think

Can you share your food diary so we can have a look? (My Home, Settings, Diary Settings, Diary Sharing, Public, Save Changes)
    Options
    ya its public now ok??:yawn:
    Options
    now i feel uncomfortable lol
  • Photoplex
    Options
    Heh - you shouldn't! Some others here would be better suited to suggest things to add. Personally, I have had some food problems in the past, and I found that instead of fretting all day about what I should be eating (and in the end not eating at all) that keeping some meal replacement shakes around really helped. You can see on my diary that I've started using them again.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just took a quick peek at your diary, so here's my big suggestion: eat breakfast every day.

It might sound odd, but this is the single biggest change that I've made to my daily routine since starting on this site, and it has helped in ways that I couldn't imagine. I've always ate a pretty healthy diet, but never used to eat breakfast until I started here, so I'm pretty sure that when I first started, I was actually eating MORE calories per day than I had been before-- the difference was that I was eating them at a more appropriate time of the day, and they gave me energy to get out and exercise and kick-started my metabolism, which I think I had seriously screwed up by not eating an adequate amount of calories for so long.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options

The reason you have no energy is because you aren't eating enough, as everyone has said. Really, things like nuts (even peanut butter), and protein, more meat, will fill up your diary and give you more calories and energy. You need to kick start your metabolism!

One of the best things to do is to eat little bits throughout the whole day. Keep a bowl of nuts next to you when you are at your desk or on the couch (or wherever) and just snack on them. Put more meat in your sandwich, add some cheese. Stop eating white bread and start eating multi-grain/whole wheat bread- it is much better for you AND will fill you up and give you more energy, because it isn't just air and sugar. Eating more whole grains in general will also help.

I'm sure others will have some really good advice. Good luck.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    i weigh 150 and im 5ft. i want to lose weight but today i only ate about 650 calories-without trying. i dont know what to do.

What I do is this:

Get up, have an omelette or scrambled egg on one slice of toast - the protein fills me up, gets me to lunch.

I stick a time I shall have lunch into my head and do not snack inbetween, after all I only have to wait until lunch o'clock, if I can't do that what the hell am I doing at all! Then I may have a sandwich, use lowfat spread, or no spread at all in it, no mayo, no empty calories or stuff that is going to make my daily calorie count rocket.

The I stick a time I shall have dinner into my head and do not snack inbetween, after all I only have to wait until dinner o'clock, if I can't do that what the hell am I doing at all! Then I may have quorn or chicken or something, I eat lots and lots of baked beans because they have protein in them and as I stated before protein fills me up.

Two or three times per week I exercise for 60 minutes per session on my treadmill using up 600 calories - I am one of those that never eat their exercise calories, but each to their own. I go on like that throughout the week, then when weigh-in day comes I weigh and measure myself, record it all down and continue on for the next week.

600 calories per day, you will be ravenous and highly likely to end up breaking your weighloss programme, in my view eating enough is not because of any "starvation mode" but to prevent myself breaking my eating plan, I want to be healthy and enjoy myself AFTER I have lost all my excess weight, I do not want to be in a box not breathing!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Try planning your meals in advance to ensure they add up to your goal. You can fiddle with your menus until you have the right nutrients (carbs/protein/fat) and enough calories.

If you see that eating a piece of chicken and stalk of broccoli isn't going to be enough, you can add some sauce and cheese to raise the calories. Maybe brown the chicken in some olive oil (good fat!). Maybe a small 1/4 cup of brown rice along with your protein and veggie. These things aren't terribly filling, but they are nutritious and add calories that your body absolutely needs in order to function efficiently. Get your diet working right and you'll feel great. Plus your metabolism will feel confident enough that there isn't a famine and begin using fat stores for energy which = weight loss.