Tips for Hunger Control

Options
2»

Replies

• tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Any tips or tricks in regards to controlling your hunger when you are on a reduced calorie diet??

If your hunger feels particularly significant, chronic, or unmanageable, it may be a sign that you're eating below your optimal calorie target. I will bet you two donuts that you are. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

While cutting calories causes weight loss, cutting drastically doesn't cause better or faster weight loss.

However, eating smaller meals more frequently can help stabilize your blood sugar and may, if you're not under-eating, help you to feel more sated throughout the day.

Additionally, protein and complex carbs provide more lasting satiety than fats and refined foods.

Dont worry man, its not uncontrollable, just really annoying. I understand the basics of overeating and undereating in regards to weight loss....
  • tom_olech
    Options
    I agree, it sucks. But you'll get used to it. You'll discover what the difference between hungry and bored is. You'll realize what snacks are healthy. Eat your calories, but make sure they're not empty. I highly reccommend upping your protein. I promise, it does get better. Once you adjust to your calorie reduction you'll be fine. Drink water before you eat, you might be thirsty. Or if you have an oral fixation, drink tea, it gives you something to do.

Hahaha, thanks for the reference to Freud and oral fixations, i am actually studying this RIGHT NOW for my exam on monday!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN early and often.Eat a high protein, low carb breakfast.
    Eat high protein snacks [hardboiled eggs, lean chicken, 12 almonds] throughout the day. Lots of water.
    Good luck!
  • tom_olech
    Options
    rarely can get full, as some of my close friends have witnessed. There really is no limit on how much food i can pack into my stomach. I just have to be careful, hit my calorie goal and let it be.

You might have a problem with your enteric nervous system (which is the nervous system specifically for digestion) and the receptors associated with your stomach lining. Generally you should have stretch receptors that sense the stretching of your stomach and another type (i forget which) that detects the presence of food in the top portion of your stomach. Both act to make you feel full....
  • tom_olech
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guy! Im generally hearing water, protein, fiber and a small serving of good fats...

Im gonna try a few of these out,

Cheers
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was hungry in the beginning. Oddly enough, I don't really feel that hunger as much now. The main that helped me was eating a little bit of protein every 3 to 4 hours and drinking plenty of liquids.

I cook up a big batch of lean chicken in the crockpot on a regular basis (chicken breasts, low-fat chicken broth, chopped onion, pepper and either Lawry's Seasoned Salt or a little regular salt and some cumin.)

I would cool the chicken and put it in little snack-size zip baggies. Each bag had 2 oz. (about 100 calories). If I felt hungry or had an urge to eat, I'd grab a bag from the fridge and a big glass of ice-tea. Within 30-40 minutes, I'd noticed that my hunger was gone.
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    I was hungry in the beginning. Oddly enough, I don't really feel that hunger as much now. The main that helped me was eating a little bit of protein every 3 to 4 hours and drinking plenty of liquids.

I cook up a big batch of lean chicken in the crockpot on a regular basis (chicken breasts, low-fat chicken broth, chopped onion, pepper and either Lawry's Seasoned Salt or a little regular salt and some cumin.)

I would cool the chicken and put it in little snack-size zip baggies. Each bag had 2 oz. (about 100 calories). If I felt hungry or had an urge to eat, I'd grab a bag from the fridge and a big glass of ice-tea. Within 30-40 minutes, I'd noticed that my hunger was gone.

LIKE THIS IDEA - WILL TRY!!!
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with feeling hungry. It won't kill you. Embrace it and stop obsessing over food. There's no getting around it. You might try short term fasting since facing that feeling for a more prolonged period may help you to deal with it on a smaller scale.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    things with a lot of water in them help me so cucumbers, tomatoes, celery. munch on that all day between meals.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I disagree that you have to be plagued by hunger while eating reduced calories. Since I've switched to a lower carbohydrate plan (I typically eat between 60-80g per day) I haven't had bad hunger at all, only if I skip a meal entirely does my stomach even growl anymore. I realize this way of eating isn't for everyone, but in my experience it's made losing weight much easier for me. I also recommend eating foods higher in protein and fat (meats, higher fat greek yogurt, cheese, nuts/seeds & their butters, avocados, olive oil, etc.) as well as eating lots of bulky foods (lots of veggies!). Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I agree here ^. I very much assumed I'd feel hungry all the time, but me too, since switching to lower carbs I truly haven't been hungry at all (2 months in now). And that's amazing to me. I was eating such super HIGH carbs previously and I was always hungry ~ always.

One 'tip' I'd offer is I buy the bag of (Dole brand) cole slaw mix (plain from the produce section, it's just shredded raw cabbage and some carrots, doesn't come 'dressed' with mayo). I use it in place of my carb. It kinda looks like potatoes or pasta ;). I heat up a big handful in the microwave and top it with everything LOL. I eat it with lunch and dinner everyday. I sometimes use it as a snack ~ like today I topped it with a couple of tbls of nacho cheese sauce and it was a pretty good imitation of mac & cheese IMO (and under 60 calories!). I'm finding this pre-shredded cabbage filling, satisfying, and handy/easy ~ which handy/easy for me is a key to not pigging out on 'bad' stuff.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    In my first few weeks on MFP, it was not unusual for me to come home from work, steam a bag of broccoli and eat the whole thing right then, just to prevent myself from making poor decisions. You get less hungry as time goes by, though -- promise.
  • monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The first three weeks sucked for me. I was eating about 2,050 for calories and doing everything I could to eat more protein, avoid pre-packaged food, etc. It just was what it was. The worst would sneak up around 8:30 PM at night (former ice cream time).

So I then got motivated to work out more, so that I could get those extra 100+ calories in the beginning.

Another member mentioned that they ate sugar-free jello when they wanted a "treat". Each one has 10 calories, so I could literally eat jello until I was sick of it and that seemed to help.

Finally, I am honest in what I record. I had a terrible week (go look my diary) because I am getting through a running injury so I am resting, but my body has been used to eating at 2600+ calories a day. So I found myself eating more salty, carb-laden food because that is what a long distance runner needs to propel through 19+ mile workouts. This will taper, and I'll get back to eating the basics again.

Good luck!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I go with chewing gum.
    This works for me.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ... FIBER, FIBER, FIBER

.... brown rice and WHOLE WHOLE grains

Fiber bloats me.