Is swimming good exercise

Options
I go swimming every morning for an hour it's the only exercise I get to do everyday as I don't have time to do other workouts with it. I do some lengths in the pool and constantly keep moving. Is this enough or should do more? Will this be enough with a healthy diet to help me lose weight?

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    as good as anything else.

the key is how hard you push yourself. Be it swimming or be it any of the other million exercises you can do.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great low-impact way to tone muscle! I think I need to look into swimming fees at my local indoor pool. Sounds like fun.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    80% of losing weight is diet. Exercise is more for health. Make sure you don't overtrain by doing the same stroke all the time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Will this be enough with a healthy diet to help me lose weight?

yes
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    80% of losing weight is diet. Exercise is more for health. Make sure you don't overtrain by doing the same stroke all the time.

Where the heck did you get that arbitrary % from?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Where the heck did you get that arbitrary % from?

81.5% of losing weight is diet.
  • MelBristol
    Options
    Only if you go vigorously so your heart rate goes up and you burn calories. I've seen so many people that go to the same pool as me only waste time and space there.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good exercise, but it shouldn't be your only exersise. I would vary the workouts a bit, to provide more of a challenge. Doing the same thing every day is only going to lead to limited improvement. Different exercises tire out different muscle groups. (I find that swimming tires out my hands long before my legs or arms get tired). Can you use your swimming time to focus on a different set of muscle?