Losing weight abroad

Options
2»

Replies

• Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I'm going to Shanghai to study next semester; any tips about healthy chinese food would be very welcome!

good luck with that
  • toothwalker_
    toothwalker_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been in Germany for 6 months now (originally from Canada), and it's been a bit of a challenge so far. There's so many new/unfamiliar veggies and meat cuts here, whereas all my go-tos are considered exotic XD. So right now I have a fairly boring selection of veggies, but I'm hoping things will get better in the summer when the new growing season kicks in. The other difficult thing about Germany is the shear amount of starch and grains that go into every meal. Eating the school lunch can easily be 800-1000 calories if I don't think about what's actually going in to it.

I would echo everyone else suggestions about get acquainted with the different veg and such there, and stay positive. Don't miss out on trying new things at least once!
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I'm about to jump on a plane... but will reply when I get to destination :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I'm about to jump on a plane... but will reply when I get to destination :)

Not without me!
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Im originary European Spanish, so I love Mediterranean cuisine. I was over weight, and when I moved to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia 2.5 years ago I put 10kg extra. But I said... NO MORE! and i started losing weight... feel free to add me to see more! hahaa
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    they love meat in the arabic countries!
  • changergirl
    Options
    While I love Korean food, and have lived in Korea for over 3.5 years (and counting) I understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea. Since you said you eat school lunches, I'm going to warn you about them. Each of them contain between 600-700 calories in them. Both my schools print a nutritional guide which they place near the menu. To get around that I make sure I'm only eating about 1/2 the rice they give me. It saves about 150 calories.

Besides that I'd recommend you cook for yourself if you don't like typical 'kimbap restaurant food'. Anything else is going to be more expensive and most likely not the healthiest. What I do is buy frozen chicken breasts from g-market (online website), brown rice and a ton of veggies. Every day I mix them all together and use different spices and voila a healthy non-Korean meal. You can make these in bulk and freeze them to save time as well. I live in a tiny town, for Korean standards, about 100,000 and there's no major store here but have no problems finding stuff to prepare my dinners.
  • cheonsa93
    Options
    did u know that spicy food helps boost ur metabolism. I was same way too, I couldn't stand spicy food but trained myself to. believe me u will get there. good luck fightign
  • darylewb
    darylewb Posts: 45
    Options
    I live in Afghanistan, but don't eat the local food. There are two dining facilities here, one does the standard American diet and the other is more European focused. To make matters even more complicated, I don't eat meat, don't like eggs and really don't care for dairy much and try to minimize it.

My solution was to buy a slow cooker and set it up in my office and head into the local market near base for grains, beans and vegetables to cook for myself.