Is it good to have a cheat day??

Options
Im not sure if any one will know but when on a diet is it good to have a cheat day? I'm hearing mixed reviews about cheat days when I have looked on the Internet. Any help would be grateful thank you :)

Replies

• Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    I have cheat days - I call it 'off the wagon" - for special occasions.
    I make the decision about when and how long for, and I enjoy it.
    But I know I will have to pay for it and undo the damage afterwards.
    The way I see it, two steps forward, one step back is still moving forward. Just depends how fast you want to get there!
    You have to decide if it is worth it.
    Good luck :smile:
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day but I do occasionally have a day where maintaining a deficit is less important like our monthly meeting of the over 50s curry club at work :laugh:
  • AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days per say. Every couple of weeks I have to up my calories for a day or 2 to get the scale moving again but I log every thing and stay within my calories. In 80 days I haven't had an all out eat what I want day yet, but I know its coming!
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days because I look at this as living the rest of my life, it is not something that has a beginning and/or an end. If I want to eat something that is not "healthy" I do, I log it, and I deal with the consequences.
  • weephees
    weephees Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, if I would like something special such as a Chinese take-away I will make sure to plan ahead and make sure I can work it into my calorie allowance. I am not on a diet as such though as I am still eating anything I want but in moderation which makes all the difference.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't like the term cheat day because the only person you're cheating is yourself. If I want something though, I will have it, either by planning in advance and working my day out around it, or by burning the calories to subsidise it (maybe not on that day but over the week or so)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For me diet is only part of my life. It's important but I don't think giving up either enjoyable food, drink or spoiling social events by obsessing over calories is either healthy or sustainable. So I wouldn't call a day (or a meal, or a weekend, or a holiday...) where I'm over calories a "cheat".

It's why the 5:2 way of eating suits me, 2 days a long way under calories and 5 days at a slight surplus. As long as things are in balance over time then I'm happy.

Has to be what suits you - there isn't one size fits all as regards compliance and sustainability.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I dont really like the term because it says I am doing something wrong and I feel as I change my lifestyle there will be days I am out with friends or on vacation that I just see something I want to eat so I do same as there are days instead of my 4 mile run I only run 2 miles or a great sunny day i run 8 miles
    I prefer to think I am changing to a normal human The constantly thin people I know go out and eat or go to weddings and indulge and the day after live life as before and dont gain 5 pounds because of it
    Live well thats what we are trying to do
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever gone over net 1500 calories in the past 4 months (well, whenever I've logged). I've had weekends away where I haven't logged, but the day I get back I'm back on track. Even those days I try to make healthier choices. This isn't a diet I'm on, it's a lifestyle change. Sweets are going to be a part of my lifestyle, whether I am losing weight or maintaining... Well, as long as I want them to be. I just need to learn to eat in moderation!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you are doing it right you are making healthier choices in your lifestyle so there is nothing to cheat on. Is it OK to not make the best choices for one day here and there? Sure - it just means you may not meet your goal as fast. Certainly having a day where you don't track is scary - I try to log about what I eat everyday so I know where I am - regardless of how good it is or isn't.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. If you can do just do one "cheat day" then get right back to eating your calories then I would say once in awhile is fine. BUT if you are one of those people that that "cheat day" turns into a cheat week then I would say stay within your calories until you are able to just handle the one day once in awhile.

Once in awhile wont hurt you... I do it every so often to stay sane. I think I would go crazy if I couldn't have some pizza or takeout every so often. :laugh:
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat slightly lower calories during the week, so that I can have a couple higher calorie days during the weekend or have wiggle room for going out to dinner after work. I just try to make sure that at the end of the week my average calories per day are where I want them to be. I also eat all my exercise calories. If I go on vacation or something, I don't stress about dieting, I usually gain a pound or two but just start over when I get back. For me it's a lifestyle change, and to be maintainable I have to be able to live which sometimes includes not eating perfectly healthy. My goal is to eat healthy more days than not. Everyone is different you have to find what's going to be maintainable for you over the long haul.
  • stangirl1995
    stangirl1995 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I log everything.. The good, the bad and the ugly. However in doing this I have found that even if I do allow myself a more relaxed day with food, I still keep it way more in check than when I used to give myself days of not logging food at all! Therefor the occasional days where I allow myself to eat less healthy choices, I am still keeping it under control and not blowing an entire weeks worth of hard work and dedication :-)
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I agree with those above who say they are a bad thing. If you're serious about changing your lifestyle, what is the point or logic of a cheat day? I have cheat foods, ie, things that are not totally healthy and that I eat only very occasionally now, like a packet of potato crisps or some chocolate, but always within my calorie limits. I also find, and I've only been doing this for about two and a half months, that I am so much more aware of the calorie values of my food choices, I sometimes find it difficult to eat up to my limits now and again without some cheat food or maybe alcohol which bump up the calories.

Cheat days only make it more difficult to maintain the new lifestyle long term in my opinion.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I do every now and then.............!!!!! Why not???? I just get back on track the next day......: )

I eat pretty healthy anyway and hit the gym min 4 times a week
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    NO!

Life happens. There will be parties, weddings, holidays, birthdays and dining out - none of which will meet your caloric goals if you enjoy them. This is a lifestyle change, and part of life is navigating food where you don't control it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I know me and I don't allow cheat days. Cheat days is how I got fat to begin with. :frown:

However...when things come up and I CAN'T exercise or I DON'T eat right, I don't have to stress about it.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    "Cheat Days" are for people in the Diet mentality. I'm in Change of Lifestyle mentality - i.e. occasionally there will be a meal when I eat more that usual. (Notice I said "meal" - not "day") I do my best to eat healthy - "stuffing your face" or binging is not healthy.