Low carb breakfast suggestions

Options

Replies

• FitnessCharl
    Options
    Sometimes when I am in a rush I grab some plain mixed nuts and seeds and chomp my way through them at my desk.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand--you are doing 5:2 but you want to also do low carb because you feel "wasted" from fasting? But you don't want to eat anything apart from sweet things for breakfast, right?

Why all the restriction?
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl - Egg Mcmuggin

Egg McMuggin'
    PER SERVING (entire mug):
    174 calories,
    3.25g fat,
    1,081mg sodium,
    9g carbs,
    1g fiber,
    2.5g sugars,
    25g protein

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original in the US, or TwoChicks in the UK)
    One wedge The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese, cut into pieces [I found Extra Light at Tesco]
    1 1/2 oz. (about 3 slices) extra-lean ham, chopped - [I used one chicken frankfurter instead]
    One-half slice light bread (40 - 45 calories and at least 2g fiber per slice)
    1 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Toast bread and cut into cubes. Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add bread cubes, egg substitute, cheese wedge pieces, and ham, and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then top with shredded cheese. Microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir and enjoy!
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    All you do is line a cupcake pan with your favorite sliced lunch meat (I used 2 slices of turkey) or bacon then crack open and egg into the lunch meat (I scrambled my egg and threw in some chives and spinach) then pop the pan into the oven until it's done. The egg should be fluffy and cooked all the way thru and the lunchmeat should be a little crunchy around the edges. It's a pretty good little breakfast to throw in the microwave in the mornings.

Hope this helps! :)

Ok that sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to make them next week! How long do they keep for? Do you just do them the night before?
  • EHAMum
    EHAMum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is difficult because it is carb-based.

Here are a couple of things that work for me:

(1) As soon as I wake up I take the edge off my hunger with a "real" (I grind the beans and make wonderful coffee on the stove) coffee. I have it half coffee and half full-cream milk. It's a lot of calories but the taste is great and I found that it replaced my sweet cravings. Heating the milk in microwave before adding to coffee brings out the milk's sweetness.

(2) After doing a ton of household things and feeding the children.... I decide on my own breakfast. It is good to remove your choice about a meal from the starving waking-up feeling.

(3) The suggestion to have non-breakfast food is very sound. If you have any leftovers, they are a good choice because you will find that you are really full and not needing mid-morning snack. I have had good progress with a few days of having left over dinner for breakfast. It is a good use of your calorie allowance for the day.

(3) Try a low carb "porridge". I found a packet of 10 grain porridge (Bob's Red Mill or something like that) in my local supermarket, and this is a low carb start to the day. Make it with water and sweeten with 10 grapes.

(4) If you really must have sweet things, combine some protein (ie cheese or nuts or an egg) with it. So French toast (bread soaked in egg and cooked in frypan) with something sweet like honey should be better for your body than the usual high carb breakfast.

(5) On a general note, having had diabetes 3 times in pregnancy, if you must eat some carbs, eat protein foods at the same time. It makes an enormous difference. ie if you eat some bread, eat it with cheese or egg. If you eat some pasta, eat fish or meat at the same time. Your body is better able to process the sugar in the carbs, if it has some protein to process at the same time.

I hope this helps you!

EHA mum
  • mer1441
    mer1441 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What about some smoothies/juices? You could also add in protein powder or whatever is suitable for you. I don't know if this would be an option or whether it's what you are looking for but it may be good :smile: I usually just chuck whatever I feel like into a blender with a few tablespoons of tofu, maybe some ground up pumpkin seeds and it's perfect! Good luck finding something you like. :smile:
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that just because it is "Breakfast" doesnt mean you need to eat "Breakfast" food. I am actually considering starting to have vegetable soup and grilled chicken for breakfast. I have heard of several people turning their menu around and eating the bigger meal first thing and the lighter meal later in the day. Good luck to you!

Same, i do this all the time.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Eggs. As mentioned by another poster, dietary cholesterol has very little impact on serum cholesterol levels. It's a complete myth.

In fact, studies such as "Reducing the serum cholesterol level with a diet high in animal fat" have shown that diets high in animal fat and lower in carbohydrates IMPROVE the lipid profile.

The Framingham study examined the serum cholesterol in high versus low egg consumption and found no significant difference in either men or women;

BUT In the 'Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial' the association between self-reported dietary intake of eggs and serum cholesterol was examined (in a population of 12 000 men). Those consuming more eggs had lower serum cholesterol than those men consuming fewer eggs.

Similarly, in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), the diets of 20 000 participants were evaluated, and participants consuming less than 1 egg per week had a higher average serum cholesterol than those consuming more than 4 eggs per week.

Conclusion: Just eat your eggs.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    As has already been stated, eggs will not raise your cholesterol. A low carb diet will lower your LDL cholesterol and triglycerides regardless of the amount of meat and eggs you eat. Eating good meats and fats will raise your HDL (the good cholesterol).

However, if you really don't want to eat eggs for breakfast, you can go with nut butters on celery, cheese and cucumber, etc.

If you decide to eat eggs, eat the whole egg. Removing the yolk removes the majority of the egg's nutrition. Eggs, by the way, are a perfectly balanced food.

On a low carb diet do not eat anything labeled as low-fat, non-fat, or fat-free. When food manufacturers remove the fat from food the flavor is replaced with sugars.
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My latest invention (Ok, probably a ton of other folks do this too) is to soft scramble 3 eggs (to split across 2 breakfasts) in the evening. Pack half in two reheatable containers, and put a couple slices of deli ham in zipper bags. The next morning heat the eggs for 30 seconds, then toss the ham into the containers with the eggs and continue for another 30 seconds. Everything is nice and hot and you can roll the eggs up into the ham for a carb-free wrap. If you're creative and not as brain-dead as I am in the mornings, you could add cheese, hot sauce, etc.

I just like that the ham serves as the wrapper - and that it's so easy to do this the night before.
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing 5:2. On my fast days, I have the following for breakfast:
    - 3 tbls of Egg Beaters - Egg White Three Cheese (25 calories)
    - 1 cup of sauteed spinach (25 calories)
    - Teatley's Black Tea with 2 tsp of sugar (30 calories)

Sometimes, I'll add in:
    - 1 slice of turkey bacon (lean or 50% less fat) (35 calories)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love goat cheese, put some on cucumber slices, or crumble in with an egg with 1 pepperoni stick. My go-to breakfast can be premade and thrown in the microwave (use a glass dish). It's 2 eggs, half a bell pepper, 2 white button mushrooms, 2 small sticks of pepperoni, 2 slices of soy cheese. It fills me up and it's low carb.
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the atkins shakes or bars? Those may be better if you don't like a big, heavy breakfast, as you said.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Eggs actually should not raise your cholesterol at all unless your body has a tendancy to over store.
    In the first 8 months that I cuts carbs way down I was eating a dozen eggs a week with sausage and cheese for breakfast. italian sausage, pork, steak and chicken with the skin and fat.
    After 8 months my cholesterol and triglycerides dropped 30%. My doctor thought the list of foods I eat was the list of foods I cut out.
    I have another physical coming up next month. I'm guessing it will be slightly lower of the same now since the 30% drop put me well below the max "normal" level.

So don't be afraid of eggs.
    I also have, more often than not, a whey protein shake made with whole milk and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • AlleganyMiss
    Options
    Low Carb Eating:
    -Any and all meats (including bacon, sausage ect...you are worried about the carbs not the fat)
    -Any and all cheese
    -Eggs
    -Vegies ...EXCEPT...things like peas, corn, white potatos and some squash are startchy vegies which are carbs (a medium russett potato is like eating 3/4 cup of sugar)

Stay away from most all fruits on those low carb days and any and all bread products except a sprouted grain bread or totilla such as Ezekial brand or something similar
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I buy a wonderful product called Josephs Pita Bread. It is low carb only 4 or 5 usuable carbs in a pita. I make cheese toast, cinnamon toast, or put in meat & cheese & grill it in butter or olive oil. You can toast them & add peanut butter, put cream cheese on top of plain ones & they taste like bagels. Have that with three sliced strawberries & whipped cream & you have a low calories & low carb meal. Anything that fits your carb macros & suits your tastebuds is okay.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    eggs...but you dont need to eat "breakfasts food" ... i have tuna all the time for breakfast, or left overs
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is a breakfast parfait.
    In a glass bowl , wine glass, etc. layer plain yogurt, granola (I like bulk barn hemp granola), berries and a drizzle of honey.
    Do a second layer of all and top with a little extra yogurt.
    Delicious and elegant enough for company.

This sounds much more my cup of tea. As I've said, I can't deal with savoury foods/meats in my first meal of the day. BUT, aren't yogurt and granola both high carb. I know oats are and as that's what granola is made from ....

yes this breakfast is very high in carbs i'm guessing , granola, honey and berries and yogurt...carb overload
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl - Egg Mcmuggin

Egg McMuggin'
    PER SERVING (entire mug):
    174 calories,
    3.25g fat,
    1,081mg sodium,
    9g carbs,
    1g fiber,
    2.5g sugars,
    25g protein

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original in the US, or TwoChicks in the UK)
    One wedge The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese, cut into pieces [I found Extra Light at Tesco]
    1 1/2 oz. (about 3 slices) extra-lean ham, chopped - [I used one chicken frankfurter instead]
    One-half slice light bread (40 - 45 calories and at least 2g fiber per slice)
    1 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Toast bread and cut into cubes. Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add bread cubes, egg substitute, cheese wedge pieces, and ham, and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then top with shredded cheese. Microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir and enjoy!

I just ate breakfast and am very full, but still, I drooled a little... so making this tomorrow!
  • gymgem85
    gymgem85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Give flaxseed a try. I mix 20 - 30grams of milled flaxseed with 10g of smooth peanut butter and hot water. I think it's 6g of carbs max, possibly less. It always feels me up and is great for fibre. I've just bought a cocoa and berries version of flaxseed and excited to try it tomorrow!!!