Criticism vs Shaming

Options

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Bullying is never ok. I am glad that, Cherie Steffen lost weight and got healthier and I am happy she has made a career of helping other people, she understands what its like to need to lose a great deal of weight and what it's like to be ridiculed for it. But, it could have easily gone the other way and it could have even resulted in suicide with just a little more having gone wrong in her life. When people make comments like that they really have no idea how they are going to be taken. Reactions can range from the person using it as motivation (and they may or may not succeed at losing weight), to they get severely depressed and pack on more weight, or they become violent and punch you in the face (saw it happen once, it was my sister, she isn't the one you know what I mean). I am not advocating those reactions at all, not even the one where you are motivated. When someone bullies you it's not about you, it's about them. If someone says something like that to me I would look them in the eye and say "Wow, nothing gets by you does it?" and I would probably add a few more comments of my own. Last time someone said something rude like that to me he cried uncle and I am not kidding.

I am not saying that we should just ignore whats going on around us either. I have talked to all three of my children about our weight and our health issues. One of them doesn't need to lose weight at all, but she eats horrible food on a daily basis. One needs to lose about 20 lbs she thinks she needs to lose 50 and she also eats horrible food. One of them gets it and she actually started working on this a few weeks before we had that talk. She is using Weight Watchers online and going to the gym on a daily basis, she has about 80 lbs to go. Ironically when she gets fit she will be healthier than her sisters if they don't change what they are eating. None of my children thought that I said anything mean to them and they get what I am saying, but 2 out of the 3 just aren't ready to make any changes yet, but I am confident that their sister who is providing a great example to follow will motivate them to eat better.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about the calling fat people fat statement. But then again, I hate when people call me too skinny, or I should go eat a cheeseburger...but somehow the latter is perfectly acceptable. I think it someone asks me, straight up "Hey do you think I'm overweight/or getting fat" then yes, I will tell them and provide support and ways to improve. But I can't just call someone out for that, I feel that is rude and not my place to say.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    People are going to do what they want to do. I try not to judge OUT LOUD...but of course in My head I am doing a LOT of stuff. Like I will see someone and they may shake their heads at an overweight person, BUT I say to Myself, "If I had that FACE (of the judging person) I would NOT come out of the house, or get out of bed in the morning." Or My goodness, she has NO azz or hips, or WOW how can she wear that short skirt with those SKINNY legs. If I see an old man driving a sports car, I will think, "Dish Rag." If I see a guy with too much muscle, I think " I wonder if he knows the sun is bigger than the earth?" or I have never seen a "muscle man" who has a bulge in his pants crotch.

I think like this...many people think these and worse things. We ALL judge, most have the kindness NOT to speak it out loud because we NEVER know how we may HARM someone or know what stage of "recovery" they are in, for Anything! In other words, some people are NOT KIND (unless it is seen of others/Hypocrites) and they go out of their way to make SURE that others HEAR their "hate" or unkind words.

We live in a Shame Based Society, and that My friends is the topic of which THOUSANDS of books have been and are written about! i wish we lived in an AFFIRMING Society, but we do not. Shame is the reason for most, if not all of humanity failings...yes SHAME, it is VERY DEEP; ask any good Psychology or Sociology Major!
  • Sammi8924
    Options
    The only people who fat shame are flat-out ignorant and need to mind their own business. If someone is unhealthy, and they're not a very close family or friend, you have NO right to stick your nose in.

The student knows she is fat and will do something about it if she wants to. Some know-it-all hag of a teacher putting in her two-sense, isn't going to make a difference. People lose weight when it is personally their time to do so. Students go to school to learn, so unless it was a health teacher and she talked to her in private as to not embarrass her, then that teacher is stepping out of line and needs to find a new career. Stick to what you're paid to do.

I agree- is it okay to tell a smoker that they need to stop smoking when you hardly know them? No, it's their choice and their life.

Fat prejudice is really the last form of prejudice allowed. And with obesity rates climbing, I don't think it will be accepted for too much longer, as many fat-shamers grandchildren have a very good chance of being fat, which will change their outlook when it's someone they love/know.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Some people just make me shake my head.

I used to find it funny when kids in school would try to "bully" me by calling me fat. In high school I just would look at them and say "My God, you must be a genius!" or in a classroom once where a boy called me a fat *kitten* in front of the whole room and they all just turned to look at me, I got up, ran to the bathroom, came back and said "Oh my God, I am fat! How could I not have known?!"

Of course not all children are as brilliant and as cunningly quick-witted as I am, so a teacher saying something about their weight can be majorly embarrassing. Are the kids probably making fun of them for it? Yeah. But you get used to that. A teacher saying it? You don't expect that, and as well you shouldn't. So yes, crossing the line. Of course, that's just assuming the teacher was like "Hey fat *kitten*" when the kid came in. I know none of the details of this story and don't care to read them. So, that's just my opinion.

If you are fat and you know you are fat it should NEVER surprise you when someone calls you fat. If you could read thoughts your feelings would be hurt non stop walking around in this world. Just cuz ppl dont say it out loud when they see a fatty thats the first thing they think...oh my garsh look at that fat slob.

I am sorry that you have such a low opinion of yourself. I read your profile info. It seems that you think all fat people are slobs like you . News flash....they are not. I certainly am not. There are many reasons for a person to be fat, some of them psychological, some physical. When a person grows up in a shame based household, almost any critical thing that someone says to them is perceived as more shame. How does a school child learn to roll with the punches when they have this shame inside themselves?

It's not that I am thin-skinned at all. I just believe a person's body is their own private business and no one has a right to comment upon it, unless asked. And I mean all comments, good as well as critical. My husband never commented when I got fat and he didn't comment when I got thin. It was MY business, not his.

Yes my opinion of myself is so low HA! I dont know how you got to that conclusion my profile is anything but an advert for low self esteem. Mental status is not a reason to coddle ppl. It should be dealt with not swept under the rug. You can deny it all you want but that kid is getting shamed daily by other peers while all the adults around him/her cant do anything about it. teachers cant get involved because parents today have perfect angels and their kids never do wrong. Parents do nothing because they use excuses like financial situations that prevent proper diet. It is a vicious cycle of not taking responsibility and being accountable for your own actions. And yes a persons body is theirs to do what they wish with. If I see someone tattooed to the hilt and piercings everywhere I think it is awesome they can express their self so bodly and still manage to hold a job and contribute to society. But when it has come down to affecting society and where their tax money goes because ppl would rather cont to get fat and be irresponsible and EVERYONE else has to pay for their fat *kitten* because they have so many medical issues, then yeah I have the right to say something. Also it is freedom of speech like I said before if you dont want the chance of being called fat......dont be fat. Your mentality is why everyone gets trophies even the losers lol.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Nobody except for close family should be giving advice unless the person has specifically asked for help. I have someone I work with and I know she thinks I am overweight (she should have seen me when I obese) and tries to make comments eg 'This is why you are overweight' or 'You need to get some exercise'. She doesn't even seem aware that she is being rude. If she had seen me five years ago when I was huge she probably would have been disgusted.

I used to get teased at school for being fat and this never inspired me. If anything it was the opposite and made me turn to food.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    I don't think shaming is productive at all. Shame and desperation make people buy into stupid fad starvation diets so restrictive they give up and gain their weight back and then some. Shame skews your relationship with food so that starving is righteous and the inevitable binging that follows brings on such self-loathing that you give up hope. Shame makes you feel trapped and helpless in your own body. Shame makes you unable to bear the thought of exercising publicly.

Lack of self educating and exploration cause the above. Quit blaming shaming for the reason ppl diet wrong or stay fat. It is a choice they make because they are not shown the correct tools or for that matter they dont ask. If you are stupid enough to buy into unhealthy ways of losing weight than you dont have the knowledge you need to accomplish your goals. If you dont have the mental capacity to know right from wrong on as simple a subject as your own diet and your over all physical health you arent armed with the proper knowledge and medical professionals help to get you where you should be. And most importantly if you continue to stay unhealthy and use these excuses and blame others shaming you then there is no hope for you, you are where you want to be. Maybe when you start caring about your body and mind and stop caring about what others say or think about you you will see a change. If you dont love yourself enough to be a better version of you then dont be surpried when ppl cont to call you fat. PERIOD
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    I was aware that I was overweight; I didn't need anyone to tell me. I also honestly don't care how overweight someone chooses to be (unless government healthcare in the USA happens, not fond of possibly having to pay higher taxes to take care of someone's problems they created on their own.)

You are aware government funded healthcare IS supported by tax dollars, right? I support Universal healthcare, I'm just wanting to make sure we're on the same page.

The context of the comment wasn't given about the teacher and student. Was it a health class (a perfectly okay environment to talk about the ill effects of obesity, as long as it's done so objectively and respectfully), was the student even American? As someone else pointed out, many other cultures see "you're too fat" on the same level as "you have lint on your shirt" (more or less. you know what I'm saying - they're pointing out a problem you may want to fix). Did the teacher have any right to be rude?Absolutely not.

There's also a difference between shaming someone for being a fattie and sitting down with a particular student who may have weight issues and voicing your concerns in a supportive manner. Yes, I WOULD do that with someone who tanned too much, smoke too much, or drank too much (and I have. It resulted in one of my best friends attending AA, and now she's been 3 years sober and better off for it). It may surprise you, but teachers don't go into teaching for the money. They care about their students. Not saying every teacher is even close to perfect, but again, context is key and I feel like we weren't given any.

Also, I'm kind of amused at the people who say it's no place for the school to voice concerns over weight issues, and then turn around and complain that public schools need to practically babysit their precious little snowflakes for them ("help you with homework? You were supposed to learn that at school!" "Why didn't the school teach you about how to do taxes or do your laundry?... It's not MY place to make sure you grow into a well adjusted, functioning adult or anything! ")

I am aware, and I am against government funded healthcare.

I also speak of all the ppl and their kids on welfare. They get medical insurance as well and I see them in front of me at market loaded full with 2-3 carts of pure crap and then they pull out their food stamp card . You mean I have to pay for them to get fat then pay for them when they are sick from it? HA! I should be able to say whatever I want to them and I do. Thank goodness for freedom of speech :love:
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    I'm on the fence about the calling fat people fat statement. But then again, I hate when people call me too skinny, or I should go eat a cheeseburger...but somehow the latter is perfectly acceptable. I think it someone asks me, straight up "Hey do you think I'm overweight/or getting fat" then yes, I will tell them and provide support and ways to improve. But I can't just call someone out for that, I feel that is rude and not my place to say.

I agree and it works both ways with me...if I see a fatty first thing I think is gross put down the donuts. If I see a skin and bones I think gross eat a freakin donut. Auto go to that person having an ED. I never said this train of thinking is right I dont know that person for all I know they could have cancer or some other things wrong with them. But thats what I auto think. Neither is acceptable until you have full info why that person is like that. But if it is for selfish reasons then they better be ready to be called out on it
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that doesn't see fat people and think they're a slob, or see a muscular guy and think he is stupid, or see someone in a skirt and think how they could bother to come out into public because they have "skinny legs"? Really, does anyone else not do this? I may have my judgments from time to time but I certainly don't sit there and put down other people in my head.

People that are constantly putting down other people usually do so because they are insecure in themselves and often make fun of people for something they are jealous of or what they see in themselves that they don't like. Seeing a fat person say how someone that is fat is a pig is just reflecting their own opinions of their own self onto someone else. Saying a muscular guy is stupid is a judgement based on the fact that the person judging is probably not very muscular. The person making fun of someone for being too skinny probably wishes they were skinnier. It's simple psychology, really.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    The only people who fat shame are flat-out ignorant and need to mind their own business. If someone is unhealthy, and they're not a very close family or friend, you have NO right to stick your nose in.

The student knows she is fat and will do something about it if she wants to. Some know-it-all hag of a teacher putting in her two-sense, isn't going to make a difference. People lose weight when it is personally their time to do so. Students go to school to learn, so unless it was a health teacher and she talked to her in private as to not embarrass her, then that teacher is stepping out of line and needs to find a new career. Stick to what you're paid to do.

I agree- is it okay to tell a smoker that they need to stop smoking when you hardly know them? No, it's their choice and their life.

Fat prejudice is really the last form of prejudice allowed. And with obesity rates climbing, I don't think it will be accepted for too much longer, as many fat-shamers grandchildren have a very good chance of being fat, which will change their outlook when it's someone they love/know.

You are a spuriuos genius SMH I havent met one person who fat shamed anyone and had a low IQ. You must not know many black ppl or gay ppl. They get the poop end still and for the foreseeable future. As far as fat shamers grandchildren...I would think they would want anything BUT their grandchildren to be fat and would do everything they can to prevent it. The only way you have a good chance of being fat is if you are selfish,greedy and blame for everything under the sun. Let me guess you vote everyone wins and gets a trophy too? :laugh:
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Am I the only one that doesn't see fat people and think they're a slob, or see a muscular guy and think he is stupid, or see someone in a skirt and think how they could bother to come out into public because they have "skinny legs"? Really, does anyone else not do this? I may have my judgments from time to time but I certainly don't sit there and put down other people in my head.

People that are constantly putting down other people usually do so because they are insecure in themselves and often make fun of people for something they are jealous of or what they see in themselves that they don't like. Seeing a fat person say how someone that is fat is a pig is just reflecting their own opinions of their own self onto someone else. Saying a muscular guy is stupid is a judgement based on the fact that the person judging is probably not very muscular. The person making fun of someone for being too skinny probably wishes they were skinnier. It's simple psychology, really.

For me its not a dig or put down just a clear observation. I have many times stayed on the observation and had thoughts like...wow she has a pretty face I bet she would be super uber hot if she wasnt fat. So dont mistake someones observations as judgements or a reflection of their self worth.

Edit: BTW if you are seeing muscular guys and the 1st thing yo think is they are stupid...seek help :laugh:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone needs to tell anyone else that they're fat/obese. It's very obvious to other people and to the person being told this.

Hmm, this is not always true. I had someone recently tell me that she told her Dr to stop telling her to lose weight because it upsets her and she's healthy anyway.

She is obviously overweight, her Dr is trying to give her advice and she's telling him she's ok. Not really someone that recognises what's happening with her body imo.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I love when fat ppl say they are healthy or big boned lol
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I will be glad when "bullying" stops being the word people use whenever anyone says anything rude, obnoxious or just not in line with the opinions of another. Someone making one insensitive comment to another adult isn't bullying.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    I think if you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything! People that are overweight know that they are overweight. They don't need someone else telling them. I think the best way to lead is by example. I've successfully lost 56 pounds this time. I've been here before...and hopefully this will be the last time ...no more yo yo ing...for me. But when I weighed more I didn't need my mother ( or anyone else) telling me I was fat. There was (of course ) a medical reason for it but over eating made the medical issue of being diabetic . Eating way too much sugar, artificial sweeteners and processed food only complicated the issues to the extreme point of needing insulin to stay alive . Do I wish I had taken care of my issues sooner you bet...but there is no use crying over spilled milk . We each have to make our own choices regarding our health. Sometimes we can help others make better choices but in our society with junk food everywhere it takes a personal commitment to just say NO and choose to eat a healthy diet free of junk food.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    I will be glad when "bullying" stops being the word people use whenever anyone says anything rude, obnoxious or just not in line with the opinions of another. Someone making one insensitive comment to another adult isn't bullying.

^^^^^ yes

ps grow some skin ppl sensitivity is over rated...try honesty (better results)
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people thought it was wrong for the teacher to make the comment - but there plenty of others who feel that it wasn't bullying and that overweight/obese people should be shamed or bullied into losing weight.

The problem with bullying or shaming people into losing weight is that poor self-esteem or other emotional problems are often at the heart of a great many people's over-eating issues. Adding to their poor self-esteem doesn't help them, it simply confirms all the nasty things they're already thinking about themselves.

The times in my life when I've really got down to losing weight (like now) have been times when I've been feeling confident and positive and had a lot of non-judgemental support. The times I've holed up in my house like a hermit, stuffing my face, have been the times when I've been at my most unhappy - anyone attempting to 'shame' me during those times would have only driven me to be even more self-destructive with food and drink.

^^^^This^^^
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pointing out the obvious is sometimes necessary. I honestly didnt really know I had gotten fat until people started pointing it out. I still saw that same 110lb girl in the mirror.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact context of the original comment or what the story was about, but in general, I think the biggest problem is that there is such a negative stigma attached to being fat. Being overweight doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with you. Fat is just another adjective to describe your body. So if you're calling someone 'fat' with the intention of telling them something is wrong with them, then yes, absolutely, that is body shaming, and that's not right. "Hey, I think your weight might be affecting your health" and "Hey, your weight is affecting the way you look in those clothes" are two totally different statements. The first might show concern and the second just shows you being an ignorant, superficial, judgmental *kitten*.
    Not to mention, to be able to sit there and "coach" other people on how to exercise and how to eat right is a totally privileged position. If you have access to open, safe outdoor spaces and an actual grocery store where you can buy fresh produce, you're in actuality extremely lucky.
    So, there's that to kind of put things in perspective.