Another annoying question about carbs hit me with science

Options

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    On the subject of low carb diets, the reason most people lose weight on them is because they end up eating fewer calories overall, so it is really just another calorie reduction system.

I agree with this!!! I think the same can be said about the "gluten free" craze. A lot of people now claim they need to be gluten free when only 1% of the population really has any issues with gluten or has celiac disease. It will reduce the overall amount of calories you take in if you have to say "no" to a lot of bread, pasta etc. if it contains gluten. Now that places offer gluten free alternatives, the calories these people will consume will increase. But, when someone gets a dessert, cake for party , pizza etc, they can now say NO without being on a diet - gluten free is the new excuse!!!
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    Yeah - I've lost about 150lbs of water! It's a wonder my skin held :laugh:
    I recommend you read Atkins' book. He invented low carb.
    Different things work for different people - I've tried most of them, and really low carb is the only thing that works for me.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Like others have said - it is water weight loss.

Here is a great explanation: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058097.php

OMG i've lost 88 pounds of water?! Bloody hell! :noway:

OP, eat a balanced diet providing you are not dealing with any sort of metabolic issues or food intolerances and you'll be fine. There isn't any need to overthink caloric deficits. Make good choices, eat sensible portion sizes, weigh/measure/track everything.

If you find that certain foods lead you to overeat, feel poorly, etc. then simply don't eat them.

My comment is reference to the OP saying she lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks but she always gains it back despite eating within her goals. Read the link I posted, a lot of the initial loss when eating low carb is water weight.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've figreud out: a calorie is a calorie, but dropping carbs out might make you lose more because a) the thing you substitute carbs/grains with has less calories in it b) it's harder to binge on protein and fat (ever tried binging with steak vs. binging with toast? or felt unable to finish that McBurger, but the fries were still going down?) c) your body has to work harder to turn protein and fat into blood sugar and stuff that your muscles use.

I've lost 14lbs now (in 2 months) by switching things up a little: I love pasta, but instead of having a huge amount of pasta, some sauce with it and maybe a tiny side salad (if any at all), I have the same amount of sauce, a little bit of pasta (about 1/4-1/2 of what I used to have) and a large salad. This does NOT mean I'm cutting out all grains, carbs, white flour or anything like that - I'm simply minimizing the portion size and having a larger portion of veggies with it.

On water weight loss, I've heard from several friends who've done the low carb diet, that the reason they lose so quickly in the first couple of weeks is water weight, but after that the pace will slow down to a "normal" weight loss pace but they just find it easier to lose weight with the low carb diet because they feel it fills them up more.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I thought that the reason for low carb was the way the body burns calories. For instance, it burns carbs last- protein and fat first. So by eating low carb, the body burns fat. Is this not true? I am eating low carb right now (it will be somewhat temporary because I am trying to break a stall). Atkins induction-type thing.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Technically, if you eat under your TDEE you will lose weight, so in that respect, a calorie is a calorie.

But WHAT you use those calories on will determine your health, body composition, energy levels, hunger levels, etc.

A general rule is to make sure you get adequate protein and healthy fats in. .7-1 gram Protein per pound of Lean Body Mass is a minimum to help you keep as much muscle as you can. If you are lifting heavy, then you may require more.

Aim for .35-.5 grams of Healthy fats per pound of LBM, i.e. nuts, olive oil, avocados, etc. will help keep your hormone levels good, hair and skin moisturized and healthy, and aid in the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. Omega 3s will actually help you burn belly fat. They are also found in oily fish like salmon, etc. Omega 3s are found in many other foods.

Higher protein and healthy fats also keep you satiated longer, which will help you stay under your calorie goal.

The rest of your calories can be filled with carbs. High fiber carbs are preferred over simple, processed carbs and sugar. But it doesn't mean that you can never have any of the 'good stuff', you just have to have it in moderation.

As for the gluten controversy, yes, while it is true that only 1-2% of the population has true Celiac Disease, considerably more people have a sensitivity to gluten that can cause less severe, yet still very troubling and often painful side effects, such as bloating, stomach and intestinal pain, joint paint, fatigue, headaches, etc.
    Apparently wheat today is not processed the same way as it was 50 years ago, and this change has caused many problems in a lot of people. I haven't read it, but there is a book called Wheat Belly, that I have heard explains this change very well.

Some people have the same symptoms with processed sugar. In addition to that, processed sugars and processed, low fiber grain products can cause a spike in blood sugar and insulin levels, which impedes fat burning, and then when your blood sugar drops and you 'crash', then you are left tired, hungry, and craving more sugar/carbs to get your energy back. The cycle can cause you to go over your calorie goal. It can also cause mood swings, and you might be depressed and frustrated and end up giving up trying to lose weight altogether, because "diets don't work".

People are different. Our body compositions are different. How we process certain foods can differ from each other. Our activity levels are different. Some people can eat high amounts of simple carbs and sugar and still lose weight without any problem. Some of us can't. It seems that many women have a higher sensitivity to carbs than men. This is especially true if you carry your weight in your midsection, are considerably overweight, and/or have a history of Type 2 Diabetes in your family. Of course you can also find some women who say they eat high amounts of sugar and lose just fine as well.

For me personally, a lower carb/ higher fat/ moderate protein diet works very well. I have all the risks for Diabetes, plus I have an autoimmune disease, arthritis, and PCOS. I feel better and have much less pain now than I have had in years. I can occasionally have some sugar or bread product and get away with it, but if I have too much, my body will certainly tell me about it.

Find what works for you, and learn moderation. Extreme black and white thinking is the downfall of many weight loss plans.

Oh, and as for dairy, I have no opinion on that, other than if it doesn't bother you and you enjoy it, then go for it. If you DO cut out dairy, then be sure you take a calcium supplement, and look for other high calcium foods to add to your diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it's not JUST water weight when you go low carb--if your calories eaten are less than your calories used, then of course you'll lose fat on a low-carb diet. It's just that carbs, stored as glycogen, make you hold on to water, so if you go low-carb, you lose that glycogen and its accompanying water--which comes right back when you start eating carbs again. EDIT (hit post too soon): But any fat you lost on your low-carb diet will stay off if you eat properly at maintenance...which many people don't do successfully because all they learned on a low-carb diet was how not to eat carbs, not how to incorporate them in a healthy diet.

This
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I thought that the reason for low carb was the way the body burns calories. For instance, it burns carbs last- protein and fat first. So by eating low carb, the body burns fat. Is this not true? I am eating low carb right now (it will be somewhat temporary because I am trying to break a stall). Atkins induction-type thing.

Your body actually burns carbs FIRST, as they are more easily used for fuel. Therefore if you feed your body enough carbs, then it has no reason to burn stored fat. If you eat at a calorie deficit, then you will eventually run out of carbs for fuel at some point and then your body will use stored fat for fuel. By eating lower carbs, your body can burn thru those quicker and get to the fat burning sooner. Of course there is more complicated science behind this, but it is the general idea behind low carb.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am 5'4" 158 pounds looking to lose about 30 lbs. currently I am doing tdee - 20% thanks to all the great info in the forums. Usually I lose weight by no bread pasta rice white flour or whole wheat or any grain for that matter all week and then I will have it on the weekends. For my wedding for example I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks doing this. BUT I always gain it back. So that is why I want to try to just eat everything I like but stay in my calorie goal.
    On a good day I still usually only eat grains once a day on a 'bad' day maybe a couple times, including dessert.
    Did paleo for a month too.
    Problem is I read on here that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And any loss you have doing no carb is water weight. Is that true? I have a real hard time kicking my no grain habit because I do think grains bloat me up and you can't deny how easily I lose weight when I do it. I just dont have the strength to do it like I used to. I want to be able to eat all the things I like in moderation too so I don't just gain it all back.
    Also my friend is also trying to lose weight but she is doing paleo and I get so tempted to think she is right and she is going to lose weight fast. She tells me I can't have any dairy I can't have any grains. And I think she is losing weight fast. Her hubby is not paleo but agrees no dairy sugar grains until I start losing

So my question is someone please give me the science, why do I lose weight faster doing no grains? Can I lose the weight doing what I am doing? Maybe there is something weird with me? My old habits have me feeing guilty every time I even have a whole wheat wrap. Or now I feel guilty having cheese and half and half and sugar in my cooffee. I think so far I lost 5-ish pounds in the last month.

I don't have the science for you, but I would like to give my opinion if that's alright. I think especially if you are noticing any adverse effects to grain, why not continue with paleo or primal eating? If you feel that it's helping you lose weight and you feel better, why not just stick with it? I feel that if you know they don't make you feel great, why bother? There are many other delicious foods out there :smile: As for the water weight, that will likely be the majority of what you lose initially in the first week or so, but from then on it shouldn't be water weight anymore. You can definitely eating paleo/primal and still have the occasional/rare indulgence on high-carbohydrate foods, but having them every day, unfortunately, isn't truly occasional. For me, the trick to motivation was to remember that it's not that you can NEVER eat those foods ever again. It's not NEVER AGAIN will you eat grain, sugar, or other starchy foods, it's just that now they are an occasional treat rather than an every day occurrence. And yes, a calorie is a calorie, but there are many, and varied, methods of getting there: finding one that works best for you is key. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options

Yes, the premise of eating lower carbs is that you're body will be forced to rely more heavily on fats for energy, rather than carbohydrates since they are no longer so readily available.
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options
    On the subject of low carb diets, the reason most people lose weight on them is because they end up eating fewer calories overall, so it is really just another calorie reduction system.

I'm not sure if this is necessarily true. I know myself, and multitude of friends I have on here that are paleo/primal, all eat at similar deficits that we always did. I choose foods with appropriate calorie-densities to ensure I meet my calorie goals daily. I've lost more weight than I've ever been able to before, and it's been MUCH easier. I would think anyone eating low-carb and who also tracks calories would be eating similar to their previous calorie goals.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Seriously, people???

The water weight "lost" initially with a lower carb diet is due to the fact that your body actually needs to hold more water to process carbs. If you don't eat the carbs, your body gets rid of the water. it is not dehydrating itself in the unhealthy sense. If you start to eat more carbs, your body will retain water to process it. That is why you might start to feel bloaty after eating breads and pastas if you don't normally eat them.

There, science in layman's terms.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eat your food and like it! You'll lose at a deficit.

This! And try to get off this dieting merrygoround you're on. Make a decision to eat sensibly all the time and enjoy what you eat.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Purplesaurus I don't want to go primal again because I will just go insane one day and shove everything i love in my face and gain back weight. So like a bunch of you said I need to find a balance. Plus primal makes me eat tons of sweet potato because I am hungry all the time. Coconut milk tastes like crud in coffee I don't care what anyone says.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    I do lose the weight awesome like that but the minute I get comfortable with my weight I start eating things I love here and there before I know it I gained 15 pounds. It's annoying
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic or ever been diagnosed with a pre-diabetic condition.

If I keep my carbs around 35% not only am I less hungry than when I've higher but also lose weight faster at the same calorie level.

The major change in my diet since I started here almost a hear ago (and less 35 pounds - everything I needed to lose) - is lowering my carbs from 45% to 35%. That made it easy to eat more without going over calories.

I found the book Why We Get Fat, a summary of science of fat deposition and weight loss by the Science Editor of the NYTimes, helpful. It explained why this would be true. Essentially high glycemic foods (fast digestion, like carbs - especially liquid carbs) causes an insulin spike. During high insulin levels, you lower blood sugar by quickly storing it as fat and stopping breaking down fat into sugar. The more time your body spends doing that, the more you will store fat and the less you will burn it - even at identical calorie levels. It's what your body does to keep you from having dangerously high blood sugar levels. Long term, it will not only make you fat, it will also make you hungry and give you diabetes if you are vulnerable to it.

The NIH did a good review of diets last year and essentially came up with recommendations that mirror the book's.

You can go lower carb and lose weight faster, but long term, 35% is easy to maintain and does the same thing. This is a lifetime goal of weight maintenance, not a diet.

BTW, you probably saw the stuff in the news last week about high quantities of red meat creating a favorable environment for gut bacteria that mess up your heart. There's more to eating than any one component. If one reason for losing weight is reducing risk of heart attack and stroke, you may want to watch red meat intake as well.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LC since I started MFP. I've lost more than water (I've lost almost 3 dress sizes.)

I'm not saying it's a magical diet; as everyone else said - if you're in a calorie deficit you should lose weight.

However, LC works better for me because it takes the body more time to process fat/protein for energy thus making me feel full for longer periods of time for less calories and amounts of food in general.

It's the deficit that makes me lose weight, but it's the feeling of fullness all the time that keeps me in said deficit. Before I went LC I was always ravenous.

I'd also like to add that if you can't maintain a LC life style, then odds are the diet isn't for you. You have to find what works for you.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Hi PU 239 I am following ur tdee formula about 2 weeks now. I guess after thinking and reading the comments I shouldn't have said low carb. I eat low grain. I use spaghetti squash and zucchini ribbons in place of pasta, and like I said try to have grains in small doses per day. I can't cut them out for weeks on end. I will binge.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Eating low carb or low grain doesn't make me more satisfied at all as some have said. I am starving all day when I do it and I do keep eating all day so it's not like I follow a calorie deficit when I low grain it. It's opposite for me if I start my day with a bagel I won't be hungry for hours and hours. I had fried eggs over salad this morning I am starving after. When people say they stay fuller longer on low carb/grain i can't believe it
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Hi PU 239 I am following ur tdee formula about 2 weeks now. I guess after thinking and reading the comments I shouldn't have said low carb. I eat low grain. I use spaghetti squash and zucchini ribbons in place of pasta, and like I said try to have grains in small doses per day. I can't cut them out for weeks on end. I will binge.
    If you want to eat grains eat them, if you don't don't.

Lol. I want to eat them sometimes. I just don't want it to set me back. But you all have really helped me out here. I will have them......sometimes, when I want and in my calorie goal