Working out in the morning question

Options
If you choose to get your workout in, before you start your day do you eat first or exercise then eat breakfast? I want to start working out in the mornings before work but I wake up every morning starving & feel like I won't have the energy to complete a workout. Thanks :)

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It depends what I am doing. If I am doing a long run, I try to eat some granola and greek yogurt or porridge an hour and a half to two hours before, if I am just doing a smaller gym workout or a 5k, I don't always have food before but I do find it affects my workout because I don't feel as strong. Hope this helps.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee before my morning workout and eat later.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat if I run anything longer than 10k. I work that 'extra' breakfast into my daily allowance.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My morning workout - Mon-Wed-Fri are whole body weight training (chest, back, legs) for 60 mins and Tues-Thurs is aerobic workout (elliptical) for 35 mins. As a rule I do not eat before. My usual meal after is a light one consisting of a chewy Kashi bar, a banana & coffee.
  • balancingactx2
    Options
    If you want to wait but are starving, grab a quick banana first. They can be filling, and the potassium helps me so I don't end up with charlie horses after biking.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the technical answer to this question, from a nutritional point of view. For me the problem isn't that i wouldn't have energy if i didn't eat, it's that i'd probably go into a rage and eat the first person/animal that stepped in front of me if i didn't eat breakfast beforehand. If i eat breakfast, i'm a happy morning person. If not, Hulk smash.

Now that i'm done breakfast, time to go workout!
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I workout empty stomach in the morning! It makes my day...Also read somewhere burns 20% more fat!
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    I usually eat first thing when I wake up and then by the time I come to the gym it's already been about an hour to 1.5 hours before I hit the weights so I don't feel to full yet still have energy to workout. Then after the work out I eat my second breakfast!!!

If you just want to run thou then there is an opinion that you should run first then go home and have breakfast.
  • Hoover8it
    Hoover8it Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was told by a very wise person not to eat first. Your body will prey on fat that is already stored in the body.
  • bri0628
    bri0628 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've tried both before I run and I have found that I do better if I don't eat.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I usually do some green shake or Greek yogurt and coffee. Working out without eating in the am usually results in a half a@@ workout cuz I lack energy.
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I roll out of bed and head straight for the gym, but right now I am only doing cardio. If I eat beforehand I feel sick and heavy so I just eat within an hour after I finish my workout. I might have to change that when I start strength training, but then I'd have to get up even earlier and I already get up at 430 lol.
  • gotpita
    gotpita Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I used to workout in the am I would do it immediately upon getting up.. Because of work I had no time to waste.. I always felt good.. If I waited too long I would get too hungry.. I would only do a 30-40min workout.. Then I'm ready for breakfast..
    On weekends I have a snack, wait like an hour then workout .. I just hate the feeling of food in my stomach when working out.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Depends on the intensity of the workout and the amount of time you have.

High intensity = eat something
    Low intensity = empty stomach
    Day off work/school = eat something
    Have to go into work/school = empty stomach

Again, it depends all on the time you have. I sometimes have a high intensity workout and a day off school/work and still choose to have just coffee or a pre-workout supplement.

The answer to most questions in life = depends.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what happened the day before for me. If I've had a late dinner, or with-TV snacks (relatively healthy ones) which is often my Friday night routine, I can get out the door for a morning workout on Saturday/Sunday with no breakfast - without coffee isn't happening...

If I worked out the evening before and didn't snack after dinner, which is my usual state of being, I need something light before I workout. For me, a piece of toast with pbj does the trick. Light enough to not weigh me down, but substantial enough to give a bit of energy.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Nope. I'm up at 5am to work out, so I don't eat first. I really want coffee, but that's my motivation to get the workout done and over with! :drinker:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I don't ever eat until after noon on any given day, and I work out in the morning any time my schedule allows. I don't do any kind of sustained high intensity aerobic stuff, but I do lift heavy barbell compound lifts.
  • lilyhel
    lilyhel Posts: 77
    Options
    I split my breakfast in two. I usually eat a banana before exercising and yogurt with granola after....
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with this and have yet to find a really good solution. I'm not hungry first thing in the morning and just have coffee. When I've been up for about an hour and half or two, I have a banana and a half cup of OJ, then exercise. But I sometimes get low blood sugar attacks and have to cut the workout short, which really annoys me. I've had the low blood sugar problem my whole life and have had all the tests. I'm not diabetic or have any other issues that I know of. It's just a big PITA!!

Maybe I should try a protein bar beforehand. I definitely don't want to eat a full-size breakfast because I think it would slow me down or cause cramps, and I just naturally prefer to eat breakfast later in the morning.