Is eating white bread every now and then OK?

Options
Celebi03
Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
I really don't know anything about nutrition. That's why I'm here. I'm planning my lunch and I was guessing that maybe I can make a sandwich with chicken breast? any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Of course. Why wouldn't it be (assuming you aren't allergic to any of the ingredients in it)? I have 2 pieces of plain jane white bread 3-4x per week.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    yes it is but you might want to start incorporating some whole grain breads as well as whole grain pastas into your diet it is more filling and much healthier
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are good for you, and they do keep you fuller for longer, but white bread is not going to kill you, contrary to popular belief. Enjoy your carbs! :) Add me if you would like some support!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Agree w/previous posters, as long as the white bread is within your calories, then no problem w/it. But also agree you might want to gradually work your way into healthier breads. Maybe from white, to enriched white (some call this white wheat), then honey wheat, then wheat, then more whole grain wheats or even ryes, etc. If you don't like the whole grains right now, then go as far as you can that way, but try again in a few months. Sometimes our tastes change. Many people start out only liking whole milk, but then can work into half whole/half skim (mixing themselves). After a while they find they can gradually work it down to completely skim & that ends up being the only thing they like. It's not just about the calories, but also about other health benefits. The healthier the bread, the more fiber, the more full it'll make you feel for a longer time.
  • Arrofalcon
    Arrofalcon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what kind of carbs you eat. Carbs are carbs. You can eat a piece of chocolate cake, but realize that those 50g of sugary carbs can be better BUDGETED if you eat a full cup of oatmeal (which will keep you feeling more full for a LOT longer than that one piece of cake). It just depends on how you want to "spend" your carbs, protein, and fat.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    It doesn't matter what kind of carbs you eat. Carbs are carbs. You can eat a piece of chocolate cake, but realize that those 50g of sugary carbs can be better BUDGETED if you eat a full cup of oatmeal (which will keep you feeling more full for a LOT longer than that one piece of cake). It just depends on how you want to "spend" your carbs, protein, and fat.

Actually carbs are not all the same carbs. That's why a piece of cake (simple carbs) will not keep you full for as long as oatmeal (complex carbs).

There are three types actually, simple (which are usually sweet things like fruit, or things with sweeteners like honey, sugar, etc.), complex (pasta, rice, corn) and fiber, which is technically a complex carb but it doesn't break down in your body the same way as the other two types do (it doesn't break down into sugar.)
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My mom always says...
    The whiter the bread, the faster you're dead.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My mom always says...

But that doesn't make that statement true. My 96 y/o diabetic grandmother eats white bread only, and that is all she has ever eaten. She doesn't eat a lot of it, maybe two pieces a day, but that is still the only bread she eats. She refuses to try any type of wheat bread.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I really don't know anything about nutrition. That's why I'm here. I'm planning my lunch and I was guessing that maybe I can make a sandwich with chicken breast? any suggestions would be great!

i mean... why use white when you could use the real thing that isn't bleached and filled with chemical additives?

if you're eating bread, shoot for whole grain, or whole wheat at worst and check the ingredients list. The fewer the better. good luck! :)
  • lagringaloca1
    lagringaloca1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Where I live the white bread is baked fresh every other hour and is long and crusty like a baguette, and so DAMN GOOD and CHEAP TOO! SO I eat it as a reward, but regular ole american white bread? WHY would you want to eat that stuff? LOL! When I eat american sliced bread I find the 100% whole grain and toast it.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I do agree though, not the tastiest stuff! I actually prefer the wheat or whole grain bread. :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    IIFYM

she knows nothing of nutrition, i doubt she knows what this means.

in any case. you can eat white bread on occasion if you want and it'll be no biggie, however there are better alternatives.
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My mom always says...

But that doesn't make that statement true. My 96 y/o diabetic grandmother eats white bread only, and that is all she has ever eaten. She doesn't eat a lot of it, maybe two pieces a day, but that is still the only bread she eats. She refuses to try any type of wheat bread.
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My mom always says...

There's always a wonderful exception to every rule! :wink:

But it's better not to bet your life on exceptional examples. . .

And, yes, you can eat anything now and then (as long as your now and then is only now and then).
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Just had two slices of the whitest bread you ever did see wrapping a hot salsa sandwich just before bed.

I don't expect to live through the night.

I mean, Christ, if this bread were any more processed it would be a Mars Bar.

;)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you like white bread, eat it. If your goal is to improve nutrition try using lettuce instead and make wraps or whatnot or just have a salad instead of a sammich. If your goal is strictly weight loss, it only matters if you stay within your caloric limit.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Nope, a sandwich made with plain white bread isn't going to magically derail your weight loss.

If you're missing bread, try this out:

http://www.steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-bread-revisited.html

I make this stuff frequently. It's easy, it's simple, and it's delicious. You need a lidded pot to bake it in that will stand up to 450º in the oven, cast iron is good for that, and Lodge makes several that will do the job at around $30. The bread itself? I buy my ingredients in bulk, so it costs me about sixty cents per loaf to make, and we're talking about Panera-quality bread here. It's so yummy I recently started selling it to my neighbors!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your definition of "every now and then" is. There are definitely multitudes of better options, many of which are much tastier IMO. If you're talking, a sandwich with white bread once a week or so because you really like it, I think it's okay, but beyond that you could make much better choices with less processed varieties, or foregoing it entirely.