does wt loss put some people in ***** mode?

Options
Both my wife and I are trying to make some better choices when it comes to weight and diet. The difference makes me feel alot better with some weight off and energy levels up. It seems to have made her into a moody grump. She has lost about 10lbs in a month but seems to resent me losing alot more than her. When I bring up that she will use a treadmill about 2x a week for 20 min and I am at the Y for about an hour a day 6x a week so maybe I deserve better results, it seems to make matters worse. I'm glad she's dropping the weight. Just wish she would drop the attitude. Do others have mates or find themselves moodier while on this journey?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    She has lost about 10lbs in a month but seems to resent me losing alot more than her.
    This is normal. It seems unfair, she's trying hard and not dropping as much as you. Tell her that men lose weight faster than women. Tell her that she's doing great.

When I bring up that she will use a treadmill about 2x a week for 20 min and I am at the Y for about an hour a day 6x a week so maybe I deserve better results, it seems to make matters worse.
    Oh boy, this is a bad strategy. Don't turn weight loss into a household competition. Don't compare your effort to her effort. Try encouraging her instead. You deserve better results? What about what she deserves? She deserves your complete and unconditional support.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Don't make it into a competition, also try not make it seem like you want hr to lose weight.
  • kapot
    kapot Posts: 53
    Options
    Is she eating enough? Competition is good. I even offered to pay for my husbands pedometer so that he may join me in this journey. But he refused. Maybe re-*kitten* how you approach her with your results and only mention it when she asks?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    When I bring up that she will use a treadmill about 2x a week for 20 min and I am at the Y for about an hour a day 6x a week so maybe I deserve better results, it seems to make matters worse.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, :flowerforyou: but...you dumb@ss. Did you really think that belittling her efforts and pointing out how much awesome you are was going to motivate her? :noway: I'd be feeling resentful too if you were rubbing your progress in my face. :grumble:

She's lost 10 lbs in a month. That's freaking amazing. How about you applaud her progress, highlight her successes, and tell her how proud you are of her for making healthy changes?

Maybe she doesn't feel like she has the time to go to the gym 6 times a week. Is there anything you can do to help at home (chores, child care, meal prep, etc.) to open up her schedule so she can take more time for herself?

Also, is she eating enough? If she's feeling like she somehow has to try to compete with you, she may be overcompensating by not taking in enough calories or by eliminating/restricting certain foods, which can definitely affect mood.

Be more supportive, dude.
  • jdm1954
    jdm1954 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do say I am proud of her and 10lbs is amazing. we keep food diary's and I beleieve she is eating way too little but cant seem to convince her that maybe more would be better. I also repeatedley tell her about the unfair men/women weight loss speed. She's smart and knows this but it still seems to grate her She has a desk job and mine is also more physical-another +- when it comes to loss. She says she feels better, but I wish she seemed happier with her progress
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Well I'm shocked this made it worse. :noway: :laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Try to get her to read this post

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

PS 10lbs a month for a woman is excellent and right on target for sustainable weight loss that she can keep off.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I agree weight loss has put me in 5* mode. I've never felt better.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Men and women lose weight at totally different rates. What may be causing her moodiness, is she is trying to cut too many calories from her diet at one time. So she may feel deprived. She needs to aim to lose 1 lb per week by cutting calories from her diet, by working out more; or a combination of the two. Her choice really.

You need to try to motivate her to keep it up. Maybe invite her to go to the Y with you, and lift some weight instead of just doing cardio. Or just invite her on a walk with you, if she doesn't want to lift weights with you. Get her out of the house.

I can tell you that your wife is likely frustrated at the fact that you are losing so much more than her, but that's natural. I know that it's frustrating for me, that my husband can eat whatever he wants, and I have to watch every little piece of food that I put in my mouth, yet he lost about as much weight over the last few weeks as I did, and he really didn't need to. He went from 6'1" and 195 lbs to 187 lbs. I just looked at him and said, "Bite me!" But at the end of the day, he walks a lot in his job (>10 miles/day), and then usually comes home and walks up and down our drive way looking for rocks. I could walk that much and still not lose weight and be able to eat whatever I wanted to! It's just the difference between me and him, but sometimes it gets me down,
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest possible way, :flowerforyou: but...you dumb@ss. Did you really think that belittling her efforts and pointing out how much awesome you are was going to motivate her? :noway: I'd be feeling resentful too if you were rubbing your progress in my face. :grumble:

Be more supportive, dude.

LOL! ^^ This. It's not the weight loss putting her in ***** mood.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Dude.....sometimes the smartest thing to say is nothing. Been married for 25 years and counting. That is experience talking my friend. :wink:
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Ouch! It really made matters worse huh? I'm not surprised :huh: ...I would have been pretty upset had my hubby said something like that to me! My hubby can work out when he gets home from work...but I'm busy cooking dinner, washing dishes, folding laundry, etc to work out that long every day.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was mislead. I thought this was a post about how weightloss makes one horny. I seriously need a decoder for ***** words.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was mislead. I thought this was a post about how weightloss makes one horny. I seriously need a decoder for ***** words.

:laugh:
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    I sometimes find when I put too much pressure on myself and restrict my eating too much, I also turn into a grumpy cow. Working in some regular treats and making sure I always eat most of my calorie allowance cheers me right up!
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options

hahaha I thought the same thing.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Well, you seem to be in full-on ***** mode. So yes, it can certainly have that effect.

Be nice to your wife. Encourage her, love her, and stop gloating about the fact that you've lost more and all the reasons why.
  • AprilBurns86
    Options
    Aside from what the previous replies have already said, if she is cutting carbs, or is in the process of removing herself from a sugar or caffeine addiction...yes, her mood will likely be foul for a while. It took me about 3 months to not feel bitter about not having a brownie and a Diet Coke when I was feeling stressed. Try to focus on the positives (10 pounds is FANTASTIC!!) and help her avoid the triggers that might have previously sent her to the soda shop/bakery whatever, and that might keep some of that resentment at bay.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I thrive on being competitive. If you are indeed working harder and mention it because she is whining about slower progress she needs to get with the program. If she can work just as hard as you to get the greater results you are getting than she needs to own it and stop whining about it. Men do lose faster generally than woman though but that should motivate her to work harder than you. It is a competition and she is being a sore loser. Instead of taking this as a positive and using it to be better she is choosing to be a grumpy whiny b*****. This is only hurting her in the long run. Also sounds like she is setting her self up with an excuse to give up as well. Call her out on her shiz make her own it.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Ouch! It really made matters worse huh? I'm not surprised :huh: ...I would have been pretty upset had my hubby said something like that to me! My hubby can work out when he gets home from work...but I'm busy cooking dinner, washing dishes, folding laundry, etc to work out that long every day.

I do all those things you do and I still have plenty of time to work out. He could just as easily make excuses like he had to WORK all day and when he gets home is too tired. If you are in a healthy relationship you shouldnt have to walk on egg shells EVER. I am still pisse dmy old man didnt tell me how fat I have gotten, but now I know it is because he knew it would lead to healthier eating lol he hates that HA!