Half marathon in 12-weeks: who's ready?

Options
I'm getting ready to start a program on July 18th for completing a half-marathon at the end of 12 weeks. (I'm waiting to start until July 18th in order to get myself up to being able to run 3 miles first, I'm currently around 2 1/4).

I'd love some company in completing this program, so if you interested, post on here!

Here's the program: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Replies

• tiptoe6
    tiptoe6 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am running my first on September 12! I need all of the help I can get. The money goes to a great cause, and I'll just be happy to finish- even if last! Good luck :-)
  • khelwig
    khelwig Posts: 15
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I did a half last year but did not keep up my training. I am basically starting over! I would love to be your cyber running buddy.Glad to see you are doing the Hal Higdon program. It is awesome!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I could definitely use the motivation of a cyber running buddy since my RL running buddy copped out on me. I love running while I'm running and after I'm done, but I have the HARDEST time getting myself going.
  • tiptoe6
    tiptoe6 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Amen! I always depended on others to run with, and when they'd pull out of the race, I would too. I started making them a solo act, so here goes nothing! It's great to have some online motivation!
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just signed up to run a half-marathon on October 24. This will be my 7th half, but I definitely don't keep up the training in between races...

I'm starting a 13 week training program on July 26 (the same program I've followed for each race I've done). I'd love to join this little "group" for some running motivation!

What races are everyone doing? I live in Indiana (I did the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon in May) and I'm doing the inaugral Home of Purdue Half-Marathon in Lafayette/West Lafayette.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Mine is October 24.
  • tericamp
    tericamp Posts: 19
    Options
    Me too! September 25th!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm in! October 9th will be my first half marathon. :noway:
  • Amy_B
    Options
    When are you all starting your training? Are you following a training plan?
  • laurynbennardo
    Options
    I am looking to run a half in September or October, and it will be my first half marathon (first anything actually, I just started running this spring)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

I'm starting my training plan on the 13th, although I'm already working hard to get in shape to start the training plan! I'm using this plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing my 4th half marathon October 17th (Denver). I believe my "official" training starts the last week in July and I'm following Hal Higdon's Intermediate half marathon plan. (http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm can follow the link to novice, intermediate and advanced plans if anyone's looking for a half mary plan INCLUDING walkers :) ). In the meantime, I'm base building for a few more weeks..trying to get between 20-25 miles a week until then.

I'm ready to cheer for all of us!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

I started my training plan, but I haven't been sticking to it 100% because of the extreme heat here lately. I am following a plan that someone on here recommended to me- it can be found at www.teamworldvision.org/training if anyone is interested :smile:
  • Amy_B
    Options

I started my training plan, but I haven't been sticking to it 100% because of the extreme heat here lately. I am following a plan that someone on here recommended to me- it can be found at www.teamworldvision.org/training if anyone is interested :smile:
    I really like this plan that you suggested. Plus, I would start the first of August, which is right after my vacation. I think this is the one I'm going to do.

How important do you think it is to actually run 13 miles before the race (at some point)? I know most of the plans only have you going up to 10 or 12 miles. I'm tempted to go up to 12 miles instead of 10 like most plans have.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options

How important do you think it is to actually run 13 miles before the race (at some point)? I know most of the plans only have you going up to 10 or 12 miles. I'm tempted to go up to 12 miles instead of 10 like most plans have.

Hi Amy, I hope you don't mind me butting in here, but honestly, i don't think it's that important to run 13 prior to the race. I know some people like to do it so that they know that they can, but I have never done 13 miles outside of a race. i think i did between 11 and 12 each time, and may have even only done 10.5 one time. If you can run 10 (or 11 or 12 miles) in a training run, you will physically be able to do 13.1. Adrenalin will carry you VERY far in a race.

Lisa
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    If you're up for another taker.... it might be me! I've been toying with the idea of setting a goal like this. So far, my max has been 5 miles non-stop. What's another 8?

Woah. A lot actually. ;)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I'm in my 2nd of 16 weeks of training for the Detroit 1/2 Marathon on Oct 17th. I'm keeping simple and using the guide from Runner's World website. It worked well to get me from 5K to 10K. Count me in.
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree with this as well. I have only run 13 miles once before a race, and I didn't do any better in that race than any of the others. I definitely suggest doing the 11 and 12 mile runs though! And make sure to plan your routes so you can stop to get some gatorade along the way! I usually run with a friend that lives 3 miles away from me. I drive to her house, so run 8-9 miles, ending at my house. Get some gatorade, then finish up the run back to her house. Also, hide some bottled water somewhere along your route (or run by a park that has water fountains).
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm using the Hal Higdon novice plan as well. I'm in my first week of training, but am already comfortable at the 3-5 mile range. My goal is the October 17th's Detroit half. Would love the extra support. I'm in!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I am also planning on doing a Half Marathon on October 3. I will be following Hal Higdon's Novice Plan. I am currently trying to follow his plan for an 8K which I am training for. I will then transition into the half marathon training. But I have not been as dedicated as I should be. I am having trouble getting motivated. I am going out to do a 3 mile run this morning. Good Luck to everyone!