Heart Rate Monitor doesn't seem accurate...at all?

Options
I just finished doing the Insanity Pure Cardio dvd, and for 33 minutes (I don't count the stretching), my heart rate was at 175 bpm (according to my hrm) but it says I burned about 280 calories. However when I plug my info into a calorie burn calculator it says I burned about 400 calories. I defnitely feel like I had to have burned at least 300!! Which amount should I log for the day??

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I just finished doing the Insanity Pure Cardio dvd, and for 33 minutes (I don't count the stretching), my heart rate was at 175 bpm (according to my hrm) but it says I burned about 280 calories. However when I plug my info into a calorie burn calculator it says I burned about 400 calories. I defnitely feel like I had to have burned at least 300!! Which amount should I log for the day??

I ignore the estimates on devices, but if I were going to record a number, I'd use the lower one.
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    your heart rate monitor is probably more accurate.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i'd use the HRM. The calorie burn calculator is just an estimate. It's not recording your heart rate
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    Do you really think you can feel the difference between 280 & 300? lol.

I'm not sure how intense your DVD is, but according to most calculators, I burn around 10 cals/minute doing medium intensity cardio (ie jogging 6mph) - so around a 300 cal burn for 30 min workout sounds about right (I'm a similar weight to you according to your profile).

If you have never used a HRM before, its possible your previous ideas of what you were burning were wildly innacurate......of course it is also not unheard of for HRM's not to be accurate, depending on the quality.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    The estimates on calorie calculators are bad. Use your hrm. It's accurate. It's harder to lose weight using estimates because you think you're burning more than you actually are.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    your heart rate monitor is probably more accurate.
    I agree, plus other also depends on hrm (is it strap or not) and it. Also how big you are.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    It just seems so unreasonable:( But I guess it makes more sense to go with the lower estimate rather than potentially cheat myself..
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm with them, the HRM is going to be more accurate. 100% accurate? probably not, but as you get in better shape, so does your heart. Meaning, fortunately & unfortunately, you burn LESS calories than you might have previously or if you in not as good of shape. I've definitely experienced this.

You could, which some do, add the two amounts and divide by 2 to get an average. Meaning, you'd give yourself a burn of 340cals.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Double check the settings on your HRM and also the placement. It may not have been connecting some of the time. If you move in certain ways it can lose connection and you are not getting an accurate reading. If your heart rate was at 175 and you worked for 33 min I would expect around 300. But your weight and age play a key roll. Make sure your settings are for your weight, gender, and age (if your HRM doesn't have these settings it is inaccurate and you need to get a new one - sorry) and then if it has a chest strap try placing it in a different position and tightening it. Sounds to me like it was not connecting.
    Try it again, you may be surprised. I know mine has come loose before and I did not get an accurate reading. Log what it says and go again for it next time. -Good luck!
    Edited to add: Oh and count the stretching. Count everything that is within your zone. The lowest number on mine is 122, so when my rate drops below 122 I stop it. If your heart rate is up then count it. Once you leave your zone it is a good time to stop. This usually happens 1/3 of the way through the stretching sometimes, depending on how hard you work, you can go the whole stretch without it coming back down. Your body is in intense burn mode then...count it you deserve it! =) IMO
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    HRM's are prone to inaccuracies as many variables are involved. Try performing the same exercise routine over a few days and note the HRM readings for each day to make sure they are consistent. As has been suggested check back over each day's log to look for sustained low or high readings that may point to a connection error.

That said, an accurately calibrated HRM (ie with your age, weight, height etc) will always be better than a estimate from a chart.