Weight Loss Plateau..

Options
Hi guys, I think i've hit a plateau:/ I've been stuck in 180s for awhile now and I just cannot seem to get past it! It's making me feel as if i'm not working hard enough. Before Friday, I had lost weight, strictly from a calorie deficit. I was at 206 then I got down 183.4. But today (in the same week) I weighed 184.8! This Friday I decide to increase my activity and start exercising. So i've been working out 10-20 minutes a day doing cardio. Anyone hit a plateau?? How did you overcome it??

Replies

• hockeyfan87
    hockeyfan87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've recently came off a plateau, I had to increase my calories to start losing weight again :/ haha. It seems that whenever I hit a plateau, I wasn't eating enough calories.
  • inyourdreams21
    inyourdreams21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That might be my problem too. I'm at 1200 calories right now, but I hardly ever go over 1,000. That might be a problem...
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yep, you need to increase your calories. I'm on my phone so I can't but I'm sure someone can post some helpful information regarding TDEE and such.
  • inyourdreams21
    Options
    I've been depriving myself of calories ever since I started my calorie deficit (not intentionally) I've probably went over my recommended intake maybe twice since i've started MFP. I can honestly say that I don't really go over 1,000. Maybe close to 1,000. That's probably why i've hit this plateau. Some have told me to up my calories, but I don't know by how much. I've even heard of the zig-zag method, but I don't understand how to that either.
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Options
    Same here, I was stuck for a couple months, I was around 1200 a day. I went up to 2K a day for two weeks and actually lost 3lbs in the process. Crazy I know. Then I went down to around 1300-1400 a day and I am losing again. Some times you need to mix it up.
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you are too scared to try eating more (you need to eat much more) you can do a little test by stopping all activity you are doing. Your weight will go down.

I don't eat all my exercise calories back, I gain weight during the 3 days I go to the gym. The 3 days off from the gym I do nothing but sit around all day, I lose a couple pounds. I just need to eat more on my gym days, and I'll slowly do that.

Go here, find out what you should be eating scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then make sure you eat at least some of your exercise calories back. If you don't have one already, get a food scale.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    That might be my problem too. I'm at 1200 calories right now, but I hardly ever go over 1,000. That might be a problem...

I have a feeling this is -definitely- your problem. Not "might be."

Check this thread out. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've recently came off a plateau, I had to increase my calories to start losing weight again :/ haha. It seems that whenever I hit a plateau, I wasn't eating enough calories.

Same here. I bumped mine up quite a bit and dropped 2 lbs.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I've been depriving myself of calories ever since I started my calorie deficit (not intentionally) I've probably went over my recommended intake maybe twice since i've started MFP. I can honestly say that I don't really go over 1,000. Maybe close to 1,000. That's probably why i've hit this plateau. Some have told me to up my calories, but I don't know by how much. I've even heard of the zig-zag method, but I don't understand how to that either.

So you are fully aware that you have been under eating, and that it is why you have probably hit a plateau... so why haven't you addressed it earlier? You didn't really need telling the reason did you? You were aware of your undereating before you posted I suspect....Did you just post to get confirmation of this fact?
  • inyourdreams21
    Options
    I just went to scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator, and typed in my information. It says that I should eat 1,563 calories a day. So does that mean that I should eat 1,563 calories everyday for a certain amount of time and then go back to my original goal of 1200, or zig zag by eating 1200 calories one day and 1,563 calories the next??
  • inyourdreams21
    Options

So you are fully aware that you have been under eating, and that it is why you have probably hit a plateau... so why haven't you addressed it earlier? You didn't really need telling the reason did you? You were aware of your undereating before you posted I suspect....Did you just post to get confirmation of this fact?

I didn't realize UNTIL I hit the plateau. As I was completely fine until about a week ago. I was losing weight steadily, But then it just stopped, which is why I am posting now. If I would've known beforehand, I would've done it a lot sooner
  • onelove321
    Options
    Happened to me too, had to up calories
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

I didn't realize UNTIL I hit the plateau. As I was completely fine until about a week ago. I was losing weight steadily, But then it just stopped, which is why I am posting now. If I would've known beforehand, I would've done it a lot sooner

Wait...what... you have had one week with no weight loss? Thats not a plateau.
  • weight4no1
    weight4no1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As cliche, corny and over simplified as this will sound, "Fight Fire w/Fire" really is a plateau beater! Yes, I realize that for the most part this has been expressed...even with better eloquence. But sometimes a simple phrase can allow a concept to sink in a bit deeper? Quite by accident I found the bump in cal's to lose weight real and astonishing but it works.

Muscle confusion is a physiological concept that (for me) is quite easy to understand and even visualize. However, the physiology for our body to maintain balance you would think is not as complex and quirky...Calories in + (-) Caloric Deficit = Lose weight aka, New Life and thank you very much.
    But of course it is not that straight forward....so try to learn as much as you can about the general old guard rules and the daily
    astonishing findings that can impact how you approach your journey...
    Certain fats and Medium Chain Fats...(Coconut Oil) are our friend...a BFF if you will. This is my latest discovery and I hope you all try to incorporate it in your daily routine - quite remarkable!
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're eating too little. And if it's only been one week, then that's not a plateau. Also, 10 -20 mins of cardio isn't much, you should be shooting for 30 minutes. I have overcome my plateaus by changing up my exercise and upping my calories. I eat back about 50% of my exercise calories each day, and end up around 1600 calories usually. I've averaged almost 2 lbs a week of weight loss, but some weeks are none, then suddenly I lost 3 lbs a week for a few weeks. Just keep at it, everyone's body is different, you just have to play around and find what will give you the best results.
  • sea_goin
    sea_goin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on a plateau for two years. I know quite a bit about health and nutrition. I eat really well (80% raw vegan and always whole and organic foods) and I exercise and play regularly. I also have not been on anything too strict, too low calorie, or too intense for exercise for any extended periods of time. My thyroid is good, so it is a bit of a mystery. I have lost about 65 lbs, and have about 20 to go. I am just inquiring as to what has worked for others to get off their plateau to see if any new ideas pop up. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply! :flowerforyou:
  • inyourdreams21
    Options

Wait...what... you have had one week with no weight loss? Thats not a plateau.

Not a week meant a month. (typing to quicly)
  • inyourdreams21
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're eating too little. And if it's only been one week, then that's not a plateau. Also, 10 -20 mins of cardio isn't much, you should be shooting for 30 minutes. I have overcome my plateaus by changing up my exercise and upping my calories. I eat back about 50% of my exercise calories each day, and end up around 1600 calories usually. I've averaged almost 2 lbs a week of weight loss, but some weeks are none, then suddenly I lost 3 lbs a week for a few weeks. Just keep at it, everyone's body is different, you just have to play around and find what will give you the best results.

Meant a month not a week. Sorry,
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would up your calories and do more cardio and incorporate some weight training. That is what has helped me get over plateaus. 1000 calories is way to little. Try that for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Also, measure yourself, sometimes I don't lose any weight but I do lose inches. You can overcome it.

Meant a month not a week. Sorry,
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you are too scared to try eating more (you need to eat much more) you can do a little test by stopping all activity you are doing. Your weight will go down.

I don't eat all my exercise calories back, I gain weight during the 3 days I go to the gym. The 3 days off from the gym I do nothing but sit around all day, I lose a couple pounds. I just need to eat more on my gym days, and I'll slowly do that.

Go here, find out what you should be eating scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then make sure you eat at least some of your exercise calories back. If you don't have one already, get a food scale.

This is some great advice...its like you were talking to me. Off to check out the website. :)