Stamina for running and cardio

Options
1tiamat
1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
Hey everyone.

I've just gotten back into doing exercise regularly to try and shed off about 40 lbs. I know my stamina is pretty crappy and I can usually only run for about 1/2 mile before I need to stop, walk for about 10 minutes then restart.

What kinds of things do you do to increase your stamina? Also have any of you done any breathing exercises to help with the process?

I would like to try and do a marathon in the fall and since right now I can only run for about 1/2 a mile before I need to stop is kind of a problem.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You just have to build up to it. If you want to run in a race, you should do a training program. Maybe start with couch to 5K for something more regimented.
  • zctlamd
    zctlamd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do short bursts of running followed by a quick walk before running again and continue this pattern throughout your workout. As you begin to find it easier, increase the length of the run and decrease the length of the walk. This is essentially what the C25K plan is based on, which is meant to get you running for 30mins or 5K in 9 weeks (though you can take it slower of course) => http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx
    I found it quite tough to start with and hated running, and didn't actually finish it (got to about week 7), but I am now able to go for longer runs and enjoy them (never though I would say that!).

Good luck!
  • etmorley1
    etmorley1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My PT told me to breathe in in three, then breathe out in three. It makes you concentrate on the breathing and forget the distance. I found it really helped. Try it.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm a graduate of c25k and it's amazing. There are a ton of apps out there now (there weren't when I did it) that tell you when to run and when to walk, so it makes it quite a bit easier to follow the program.

I would also recommend that you keep an eye on your lungs and how they're feeling. I tried c25k and couldn't understand why I was done after 10 minutes no matter how slowly I ran. I mentioned this in passing to my doctor and he gave me an inhaler, which I only take right before a run. Made all the difference in the world.

And slow down the running. Figuring out your natural pace takes time. I often feel I'm running super-slowly, then I get home and realize that I ran a not-bad distance in shorter time than I thought I had!
  • dangermcgee
    Options
    I also have to suggest couch to 5k. It got me from being to run only 30 second spurts to being able to run the whole 5k no problem. If you've got a smartphone, a really fun way to do it is with Zombies! Run. Start out with the 5k training app, and then you can move up to the real deal. It's a ton of fun and it really makes me want to get my runs in so I can move along in the game/avoid zombie mobs.
    https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Just go slower. Like, way slow... like you're shuffling... until you can go faster. Most people get winded because they go too fast.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Just go slower. Like, way slow... like you're shuffling... until you can go faster. Most people get winded because they go too fast.

So true. I used to get really winded when I ran on the university's track oval and couldn't understand why, as I'd pretty much gotten past that problem when running street side. Then it occurred to me that it's because there is nothing other than my own physical limitations to slow me down at the track - no hills, no traffic lights, no tree roots pushing up the pavement, nothing at all to break up the pace. Or the monotony. I don't live in a high traffic area and am rarely held up for more than a few seconds on street side runs, but the terrain is constantly changing and so is my speed.
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K currently. It was a bit of a shock to me that I could go for 30-50 minutes at over 5mph on the elliptical and didn't get winded but would run for a minute and a half and would get a stitch in my side! I just concentrate on my breathing, and also how I'm running. I realized I was slamming my feet down pretty hard when I was running which was making it harder to keep my pace. So I've started concentrating on being light on my feet and breathing steady (in through my nose and out through my mouth). Do I look like a old pregnant penguin? Yes, but it made the running so much easier that my pace almost doubled! Good luck!
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    Couch to 5K started me on my running journey. I have never run any kind of marathons but I now consider myself a runner and that feels really good. Takes a while to build up to it, but I can now run for almost an hour without stopping! Good luck to you!
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    I'm doing C25K currently. It was a bit of a shock to me that I could go for 30-50 minutes at over 5mph on the elliptical and didn't get winded but would run for a minute and a half and would get a stitch in my side! I just concentrate on my breathing, and also how I'm running. I realized I was slamming my feet down pretty hard when I was running which was making it harder to keep my pace. So I've started concentrating on being light on my feet and breathing steady (in through my nose and out through my mouth). Do I look like a old pregnant penguin? Yes, but it made the running so much easier that my pace almost doubled! Good luck!
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    What she said!
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you don't have access to a gym, I'd suggest the c25k apps.

If you can't do that one way is training where you work in your aerobic zone for 45+ minutes at a time (http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/Calculate_your_training_heart_rate_zones is a good place to figure out what the zone for you would be.). As others have mentioned you could be going too fast and need to slow it down a little, ideally you should be in the anerobic zone where your body goes from running on oxygen to running on stored carbs (If you have really sore muscles after running, this could be a cause of it.). This method is good for me, but mileage may vary.
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll definitely give that C25k app a try and those breathing techniques.

I've never thought of checking out an inhaler to see if I may have any issue with my lungs. Honestly I think I may just be pushing too hard or moving too fast, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Also I'll start running twice a week before and after my cardio workouts to try and increase my endurance.