Eating after 5pm?

Options
In the past, whats worked for me is not eating after 5pm. Its tough to do. But it always worked wonders.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. There is no benefit to weight loss by not eating after a specific time, though. As long as you stay under your TDEE calories you can eat at midnight in bed or whenever you want.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Good to hear it worked for you.

There's no way in hell I could do it.
  • MaysieMoo92
    Options
    I think not eating 2-3 hours before bed is important for digestion etc etc But I think the only reason not eating after 5pm (which is pretty early_ probably worked for you is because you give you're body, like a 14 hour fast from food if you wake up at 7am.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. There is no benefit to weight loss by not eating after a specific time, though. As long as you stay under your TDEE calories you can eat at midnight in bed or whenever you want.

This!

I personally couldn't not eat after say 5pm. My husband either gets home from work at 5:30pm or 10pm which would mean I couldn't have dinner with him when he got home if I had a cut off time.

Meal timing has no bearing on how much weight you lose provided your calories are equal.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options

^^^ This.

Dead horse being beaten again.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This!

I personally couldn't not eat after say 5pm. My husband either gets home from work at 5:30pm or 10pm which would mean I couldn't have dinner with him when he got home if I had a cut off time.

Meal timing has no bearing on how much weight you lose provided your calories are equal.

Yep. I eat right before I go to sleep - works for my schedule and appetite.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go for it. I get off of work at six and so I eat around 6:30-7.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    I don't usually eat anything after 10pm but that's only because it gives my stomach time to settle before bed,different things work for different people :)
  • Milla098
    Milla098 Posts: 9
    Options
    In the past, whats worked for me is not eating after 5pm. Its tough to do. But it always worked wonders.

When I did the same thing (not eating after 6 pm) I looked amazing as well! I also slept like a baby and woke up so refreshed and rested!!! :) I'm trying really hard to get back into this habit.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've eaten every day after 5pm during my weight loss. Doesn't matter. You may have lost more because you ate less. I have to have a snack 30-60 minutes before bed. I look forward to it too. Each to their own, you know what works for you.

Zara
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Same.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Wow! I wouldn't be able to sleep because I'd be starving!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I agree with this^^^
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Reiterating what many people have already said...I have never restricted myself to not eating after a certain time. BUT, of course only when I am truly hungry. There have definitely been many times where that late night snack attack hits, but in all honesty it is just that, the desire to snack rather than satisfy hunger- there is where my difference lies. For some people these types of "rules" may work, but if you feel hungry your body is telling you it needs food! Protein is always a better choice later at night as your body can use it while you sleep :)
  • TStrickland007
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
  • ladylass89
    Options

This.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

This!

Yep. I eat right before I go to sleep - works for my schedule and appetite.

Agreed! I eat in bed, I would lose sleep if I didn't eat something... I'd be up at 3 in the morning raiding the fridge!! lol but seriously there is no such thing as meal frequency when it comes to weight loss... Eat whenever it works best for you... Best of Luck.....
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening after work...so I come home about 4:30 and eat my dinner, then go to the gym and come home and eat some more protein in the evening (or maybe even a skinny cow ice cream sandwich if I need it). I think I would be starving and set myself up to fail if I woke up that hungry. But like everyone says....do what works for you!
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Glad it works for you! I work 2nd shift, so I wake up @ 4:30pm... Don't think I could eat 2000 cals in 30 minutes before getting ready for work. Do not think our bodies are set on timers. LOL :)
  • TStrickland007
    Options
    It is tough to hold off of eating. But when you wake up. You feel very thin & look it. Gets addicting after awhile I guess. (PS I used to do this years ago...lol) It takes alot of willpower. I still try to eat a big breakfast, big lunch & get most of my calories during the day. Then taper down as day goes along. Easier said than done.