Eggs?

Options

Replies

• chera79
    chera79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eggs = Yummy! :) I eat 2-3 every morning with breakfast and occasionally I'll even boil a few for my salad or snack. No worries.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs all the time and last check had low cholesterol. They're very good for you. If I am eating them scrambled, I'll use one whole egg with three egg whites. In salad I do the same with hard boiled eggs, one whole and another white...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good for you. Eat as many as you like.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Eating eggs is only bad for the chickens. And I guess people with egg allergies.

Re: Spinach
    It's the oxalates in spinach (and also swiss chard) that people are worried about. Excessive consumption (not what you've described) has been linked (not proven to cause) recurring kidney stones in people who already have kidney issues.

It's perfectly fine for the average person to eat a pound of spinach a day. That having been said, it's always good to rotate your greens if you can, it will give you a larger variety of nutrients. Try kale, baby bok choy, chard, etc.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    lololol. I eat at least one boiled egg a day. They make a good high protein snack. They are high in HDL cholesterol. The good stuff. And they can actually help lower LDL, the bad stuff.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Also, spinach is usually only bad for people who already HAVE gout. It's a very high purine food, and purine increases uric acid. It is *thought* to increase the risk for it, but you'd probably have to eat a lot of that and other high purine foods (shellfish, beans, peas, spinach). But moderation is good wit everything :)
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unless you have some health concern regarding them an egg a day isn't going to hurt you.

As to the spinach issue, unless you have an illness related to the intake of oxylates there is no worry for it. Studies currently show that dietary oxylates in those not pre-disposed to calcium-related issues or with a history of such have little or possibly even no effect on kidney stones. While more information of course can and hopefully will come out, so far there isn't any known serious risk from spinach (or the many, many other foods that contain oxylates... you can't avoid them if you are eating any kind of balanced diet).

To put it in a bit of perspective, much higher an effect on kidney stones and related calcium issues is the combination one takes in amounts and forms of protein, calcium, potassium, and water. Currently, high protein diets are more tied to kidney issues than spinach... and the risks there unless eating absolutely insane amounts or a pre-existing issue is negligible for the average healthy adult.
  • stacek4
    stacek4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I actually just had a conversation yesterday, with a customer at my job who raises chickens and sells eggs. We started talking about how certain things can be great for you, but then can also be bad for you, and when I mentioned eggs as an example, he explained that eggs aren't actually laid with cholesterol, but develop it while sitting in the grocery store. He said eggs can be stored in the stores for about 6 months, and by eating eggs straight from the farm (basically), you wouldn't have to worry so much about cholesterol. I have no idea if he's 100% correct because I haven't had the chance to do any research on it, however I do enjoy my eggs straight from the farm :-) Oh and yeah I eat at least one full egg a day, along with 4-5 egg whites. :-)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Eating foods containing cholesterol does not impact your cholesterol.

I eat about 2 dozen eggs a week (combination of whole eggs and whites) and my cholesterol level is perfect.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Eating foods containing cholesterol does not impact your cholesterol.

I eat about 2 dozen eggs a week (combination of whole eggs and whites) and my cholesterol level is perfect.

Eating foods containing cholesterol impacts some people's cholesterol.

I'm glad that your levels are great, but not everyone's are. The women in my family have a history of high cholesterol that is related to diet. Both my grandmother and my mother have had to reduce their cholesterol intake to get their levels down and neither of them were overweight.

My diet has zero cholesterol and I'm so happy I don't have to worry about it like they did. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The Harvard Health Study found no relationship between eating eggs and the bad cholesterol levels in your blood and clogging your arteries.

We have backyard chickens. I eat 2 eggs a day - or more. I have low cholesterol. My husband had high cholesterol before we started raising chickens, lost weight after we got them, and now has low.

That's consistent with the research findings - no relationship.

But the Mayo Clinic is more conservative - they say 4 yolks or fewer a week:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My diet has zero cholesterol and I'm so happy I don't have to worry about it like they did. :)

What does a 0 cholesterol diet look like? No shrimp, no eggs, no avocado, no chocolate . . . okay. Low, sure. But 0? That sounds harder than no gluten.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat 4-6 eggs a day. It is the spinach that can cause trouble if you eat too much. Sounds goofy, but it's true. It can cause kidney stones, gout etc... Moderation on the spinach.

Never heard this of spinach.

I only heard it recently. I wasn't very happy about it to be honest. I am a spinach lover!
    I don't think it's true. My husband and I have both had kidney stones, and spinach wasn't on the list of foods to avoid. In fact the doctor says that no one is really sure what causes them.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 eggs nearly every day for breakfast. I was a bit worried about cholesterol - family disposition to high cholesterol - had it checked - fine - in normal limits. All good. Love my eggs - and I often throw in a big handful of baby spinach as well.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I actually just had a conversation yesterday, with a customer at my job who raises chickens and sells eggs. We started talking about how certain things can be great for you, but then can also be bad for you, and when I mentioned eggs as an example, he explained that eggs aren't actually laid with cholesterol, but develop it while sitting in the grocery store. He said eggs can be stored in the stores for about 6 months, and by eating eggs straight from the farm (basically), you wouldn't have to worry so much about cholesterol. I have no idea if he's 100% correct because I haven't had the chance to do any research on it, however I do enjoy my eggs straight from the farm :-) Oh and yeah I eat at least one full egg a day, along with 4-5 egg whites. :-)

Yeah, somehow I doubt this. But, I can say with total authority that fresh eggs are much nommier than conventional store bought eggs. Every year I have to buy eggs for a couple of weeks when my chickens' production drops, it just about kills me. Also, the nutritional content of pasture raised eggs is probably different than conventional eggs, just due to differences in the chickens' diet. I know that in the summer, when my girls are out galavanting in the grass, their yolks are a crazy, deep orange.

I eat eggs daily. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't have cholesterol issues.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    For the record, that lady I know who recently received her gout diagnosis, had never had any previous problems. Just sayin.
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    You body needs protein. One hard boiled egg yields 70 calories. Bad, I wouldn;t say that. But, I think eating in moderaton is not such a bad thing either. I love hard boiled eggs now. I have maybe two to three a week. Not bad for you at all, but I try not to eat the same thing everyday anymore. I used to eat meat daily but today was the first tiem in six week I had any type of meat. I did not give it up but I decided that I can eat it when I want it as in any food. You seem like you are doing great with whatever it is is that you are doing tho so if you like it, have it because at the same rate, I am not expert at this and still learning. Goo dluck with your weight loss and God bless.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    For the record, that lady I know who recently received her gout diagnosis, had never had any previous problems. Just sayin.

Correlation =\= causation

also :huh:

I reread through the thread and saw no mention of a woman with gout, with or without previous problems. Am I missing something?
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a past medical history of high cholesterol or it is in your family medical history, there is no need to worry about consuming cholesterol. Eat all the eggs you want!
  • JennNH12
    JennNH12 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have egg birds and just about everyday eat eggs for dinner. I love eggs to a stupid level. LOL. I have never had any issues and love the protein boost. I will say though, I will NEVER again purchase eggs from the store. If there ever comes a day where I dont ow my own flock of laying gals......I will go to another farm for my eggs. I see no issues with an egg a day :)