Is 35 percent fat each day too high?

Options
I don't really understand the different types of fats. I know where good fats come from and that you need them to lose fat but that's it.

My macros are 40c/25p/35f

Total fat is 64 gram, saturated 18, polyunsaturated 2, monounsaturated 15, trans 0.

Can someone please explain the difference in fats and if my intake is good or bad?? And if my macro ratios are good as well?

My goals are to cut fat at the moment then will change to growing muscle.

Thanks!

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bumping bc I love my fats too !
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. I don't even know if " too much " and fat can go in the same sentence as far as diet goes. Stick to your calorie goals, avoid trans fat, eat plenty of protein & fat and you'll win. Also don't forget......

ALLTHECARBS_zps89494765.jpg
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    BuMP
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. I don't even know if " too much " and fat can go in the same sentence as far as diet goes. Stick to your calorie goals, avoid trans fat, eat plenty of protein & fat and you'll win. Also don't forget......

ALLTHECARBS_zps89494765.jpg

I'm going with this.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I would suggest raising your protein and lowering your carbs.
  • withoutfail
    Options
    There's a myriad of diets out there that dictate how much fat/carb/proteins you should consume daily. Depending on which diet plan you follow 35% could be too high, just right or too little even (I eat around 50% daily on my diet plan).
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I take about 25% fat on a 2800 cal day. I dont concern myself about fat itself so much as limiting saturated fat, which tends to be the unhealthier fat. Fat itself doesn't make you fat, but anything in excess is bad.
    Edited to add: Poly and Mono are considered the healthy fats.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your calorie targets, then I don't see the problem.

The only real downside to higher fat intake is that your TEF (thermic effect of eating food) is lower than it would be if you had a high protein diet.

But if eating a high fat diet is what keeps you sane and keeps you hitting your calorie targets just roll with it.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Minimum fat intake has been suggested at 0.3g per lb of bodyweight. Protein intake for reducing loss of lean body mass while in a deficit is recommended at 1-1.5g per lb of LBM or 0.8g per lb of bodyweight.

Percentages are stupid really... hit your protein and your fat in GRAMS PER LBM OR BODYWEIGHT, fill the rest of your calories in however you choose.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    35% here too.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Avoid trans fats completely. Limit saturated. Poly unsaturated is the king fat and mono unsaturated is the prince.

I can't think of a good analogy.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    nope, not too high - just need to stick with the healthy fats. i have orders to eat more fat per test results, so i am at 35% fat.

i am eating a lot more avocados and almonds, buying some light dairy items (instead of fat-free/skim) and salad dressings with fat (olive oil). finally tried almond butter last week - it is super creamy and yummy! also, try kids yogurt (without the cartoons). chobani makes a kids greek line - made without artificial sweeteners and 2% milk. the serving size (smaller) i find to be just right as well.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    r u achieving ur goals with these macros? remember, its easier for dietary fats to turn into body fat as compared to carbs and protein.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have my macros at 35% for fat and i always eat that as a minimum (so about 71 grams) I do eat lots of things like avocado, cheese, nut butters, semi dried tomatos but also have things like icecream and chocolate :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the different types of fats. I know where good fats come from and that you need them to lose fat but that's it.

My macros are 40c/25p/35f

Total fat is 64 gram, saturated 18, polyunsaturated 2, monounsaturated 15, trans 0.

Can someone please explain the difference in fats and if my intake is good or bad?? And if my macro ratios are good as well?

My goals are to cut fat at the moment then will change to growing muscle.

Thanks!

So, are you losing weight currently? Do you feel alert, happy, and comfortable?
    That will tell you if your mix is good.

Your brain needs fat.

My mix is 40/30/30, and I might change it to 30/40/30, as I'm a lot happier physically with fewer carbs. Fat keeps you feeling sated, etc.

So, are you reaching your goals?
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Bump for more