looking for a creative hobby! need ideas

Options

Replies

• CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just went to the website I referred. There's a tab that says Starter Kits. Click on that!!! There's lots of cool stuff there that you can make at home.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    oh, i think refinishing furniture sounds fun!
    i have thought about it many times over the years.
    but i don't really have a place here where i could do something like that.
    when we get our garage/workshop, that will definitely be a project i'll take on.
    have you ever done that?

I've done some simple refinishing (painting, chair covers, etc). You don't need lots of space to start with something small (jewelry box, stool, small chair or table for your child's room) that can be done in a day or two tops.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just started crocheting again after several years...like I just started 2 nights ago. It's so easy. You could learn how!!!

how could i learn?
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just started crocheting again after several years...like I just started 2 nights ago. It's so easy. You could learn how!!!

how could i learn?

I went to a really inexpensive class at Michael's. But that was years ago. I took what I had to work the other night and a coworker showed me how to do it again.
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i crochet, i love it. i basically taught myself through google and youtube video tutorials. just because you dont know how, doesnt mean you cant learn! in my opinion, its much easier than knitting. check out my facebook!

www.facebook.com/cleegcreations
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Pen pal letter writing! You can put a lot of work into writing beautiful letters, decorating envelopes, sending little packages, etc.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    *if you like pets, you could volunteer with an animal shelter (the kids will enjoy it, I'm sure)
    *take pictures of your meals (helps make it more presentable, and a fun way to log what you eat!)
    *learn make-up or nail art (something different, like Cleopatra eyes, and water marbled nails)
    *join Pinterest, they've got lots of creative boards that anyone can attempt!

You can learn any of the hobbies other myfitnesspal members shared by going on YouTube. They have virtually all the tutorials on all the hobbies known to man!
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    i crochet, i love it. i basically taught myself through google and youtube video tutorials. just because you dont know how, doesnt mean you cant learn! in my opinion, its much easier than knitting. check out my facebook!

www.facebook.com/cleegcreations

OH MY GOSH!!
    your stuff is gorgeous!
    you are very very incredibly talented!!!
    gorgeous!
    thanks a lot for sharing.
    how long have you been crocheting?
    like 100 years?
    haha!
    gorgeous!!!!!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I knit and spin yarn from wool. It's actually pretty cool.

I want to get into cake decorating.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I've done cake decorating. I taught it for a couple of years, it's really pretty simple once you learn the basics.

YouTube is a GREAT source of learning new things.
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    Pen pal letter writing! You can put a lot of work into writing beautiful letters, decorating envelopes, sending little packages, etc.

this is such a beautiful idea!
    i love it!!
    but i don't really know where i'd send the letters.
  • grbhmb
    grbhmb Posts: 12
    Options
    Jo-Ann craft stores now offer classes in all sorts of things; crocheting is one of them. It's not just cake decorating and watercoloring!

For instance, I cannot machine sew yet but my daugter wanted to learn. In February, they offered classes BOGO so I let her attend with a friend as the friend's birthday present. The instructor was awesome and the girls had a blast, learned a new skill, and had a pillowcase they made all by themselves to show for it!
  • anawhatsme
    Options

wow that's pretty awesome!
    i don't know anyone that has that hobby.
    is that something anyone without their own sheep can do?
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    Taxidermy.
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    Taxidermy.

no way!
    if i see roadkill coming up on the highway, i look away!
    and i'm usually the driver!
    i cannot look at dead animals.
  • Justjamie0418
    Options

wow that's pretty awesome!
    i don't know anyone that has that hobby.
    is that something anyone without their own sheep can do?

yep! I buy braids of roving that is predyed and spin it on my wheel. You can also you a spindle which is a hand held gadget, but I haven't ever done it that way. :)
  • sszbarber
    sszbarber Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Chickens or any kind of animal....
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    yep! I buy braids of roving that is predyed and spin it on my wheel. You can also you a spindle which is a hand held gadget, but I haven't ever done it that way. :)

ok well how big is your wheel and where in your house is it?
    and what do you do with the end result?

maybe you could sell it to that lady that has the beautiful crocheted stuff.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Geez, wish I had more time to devote to all the creative things I want to do. I just started learning to play the ukelele and every day I am so busy with my have to's I have no time for the want to's mostly. Not complaining but just where I'm at in my life. Anyway don't be intimidated and just pick something that inspires you. BTW, I am not musically inclined or have any training in even reading music and still decided to learn this new skill. I picked this in particular because it perks up the winter months to have something to work on that will be enjoyable in the summer when I'm playing by the camp fire.
  • Justjamie0418
    Options
    016_medium2_zpsbde40ef7.jpg

here is a set I knit my youngest daughter, I actually appliqued the shirt too. knitting is not just granny stuff ;)

I could spin for hire, I just am super busy and never really thought of it. This was knit out of handspun yarn, it naturally variegates in color :) I am a nerd.
    ecf37999-94b0-4b86-8123-27cef3f67f7f_zps1d10292e.jpg