too much cardio? not enough heavy lifting?

Options
I've been doing more than 60 minutes of cardio a day and burn more than 4500 calories a week from cardio. The 1st week I noticed a big chane in my body, but now not so much. Its getting hard to eat back all the calories and I feel like its almost a waste to workout so much if I'm just goimg to eat all the calories back. Starting today, I'm going to try to decrease my cardio to 20-30 min a day and add way more strength training and heavier weights. Right now I'm only lifting 2 days a week because I spend so much time on cardio. And I've been lifting way too light(5-8 pound weights). Anyone an expert out there? Does my plan to cut cardio and increase weights seem like it would work better? I'm only 11 pounds away from my goal weight but I have tons of cellulite and stomach fat to get rid of from having my 2nd child 4 months ago. I'm very new at the whole weight loss thing (I've always been grossly underweight trying to gain not lose!) and would appreciate some advice and wisdom!

Replies

• Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been doing more than 60 minutes of cardio a day and burn more than 4500 calories a week from cardio. The 1st week I noticed a big chane in my body, but now not so much. Its getting hard to eat back all the calories and I feel like its almost a waste to workout so much if I'm just goimg to eat all the calories back. Starting today, I'm going to try to decrease my cardio to 20-30 min a day and add way more strength training and heavier weights. Right now I'm only lifting 2 days a week because I spend so much time on cardio. And I've been lifting way too light(5-8 pound weights). Anyone an expert out there? Does my plan to cut cardio and increase weights seem like it would work better? I'm only 11 pounds away from my goal weight but I have tons of cellulite and stomach fat to get rid of from having my 2nd child 4 months ago. I'm very new at the whole weight loss thing (I've always been grossly underweight trying to gain not lose!) and would appreciate some advice and wisdom!

How do you know how many calories you are burning? If you are getting the number from the cardio machine, don't trust it. I generally take that number and allow myself to eat back up to half of it, IF I am hungry.

And yes, weight lifting will help tighten and tone up your body. But don't eat cals back from that work.

I hope that helps!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

How do you know how many calories you are burning? If you are getting the number from the cardio machine, don't trust it. I generally take that number and allow myself to eat back up to half of it, IF I am hungry.

And yes, weight lifting will help tighten and tone up your body. But don't eat cals back from that work.

I hope that helps!

Yes but no.

Firstly, is MFP giving you an amount to eat each day to lose x pounds a week? If so, the deficit is ALREADY calculated. Exercising earns you back more calories to eat more. If you don't eat them back, you get a whopping deficit and upset your body and organs - with 60mins you could easily be starving yourself (if you keep your heart rate up and only have 1200 cals a day to eat).

You should look into your BMR and TDEE **someone please link another good thread about this**

Lifting won't be much use if you have too much deficit. I personally have a net of 1400 a day - that is after 400+ cals lost with cardio (so I am eating 1400+400=1800 a day). I use a heart rate monitor to check the more true calorie amount.

If you want to gain muscle, it's important to make sure you're feeding your muscles! Make sure you keep a high protein intake - ignore MFP recommendations please. I aim for about an even % split of all my macros. It comes to 35carbs 35protein and 30fat. I am eating 100g+ of protein a day.

Remember, you wanna lose FAT, not MUSCLE! So use them or lose them but don't expect much gain if you're on a calorie restriction.

Good luck :)

edit: spelling
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What have you set your activity level in MFP for Sedentary/ Active etc ? How many calories are you talking about? With 11 lbs to go you should have your goals set for 1 lb a week I think. Squats have really helped my cellulite, squats and running also making sure to moisturize daily for some reason have made the most difference in my cellulite. I have tried other things in the past.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I also thought I was grossly underweight when younger and made the mistake of overeating and got fat.

Weight training will fill you in nicely. I agree with the suggestion of figuring your bmr & tdee -10%. Do the strong lifts program and dont do so much cardio. You will drop fat gradually. Be patient and you'll get there.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I hope that helps!

Yes but no.

Firstly, is MFP giving you an amount to eat each day to lose x pounds a week? If so, the deficit is ALREADY calculated. Exercising earns you back more calories to eat more. If you don't eat them back, you get a whopping deficit and upset your body and organs - with 60mins you could easily be starving yourself (if you keep your heart rate up and only have 1200 cals a day to eat).

You should look into your BMR and TDEE **someone please link another good thread about this**

Lifting won't be much use if you have too much deficit. I personally have a net of 1400 a day - that is after 400+ cals lost with cardio (so I am eating 1400+400=1800 a day). I use a heart rate monitor to check the more true calorie amount.

If you want to gain muscle, it's important to make sure you're feeding your muscles! Make sure you keep a high protein intake - ignore MFP recommendations please. I aim for about an even % split of all my macros. It comes to 35carbs 35protein and 30fat. I am eating 100g+ of protein a day.

Remember, you wanna lose FAT, not MUSCLE! So use them or lose them but don't expect much gain if you're on a calorie restriction.

Good luck :)

edit: spelling

Exactly that!
  • kenorus
    kenorus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill on a daily basis. I do have a watch also and the miles is dead on to the treadmill. With the calories it usually is around the 500 mark but i always take away around 100 of those calories just to make sure. Not sure if that is right but feel that is a more accurate number. My personal trainer said instead of running or walking, do a 15 minute walk then do an incline by 2 up until you hit the highest it goes then come back down by 2. You can burn more calories doing this then just plain running. Change your work out up and you will see a difference.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    first, with heavy lifting cardio isn't required, but it helps with circulation and recovery for the muscles.
    as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose. However, I love cardio too, so i understand where you're coming from.
    It really depends on the individual, but generally, more than 2 workouts a week of intense cardio is not recommended, mainly because too much cardio tires you out, and your lifting suffers. The rest of the cardio if, it's light, is fine.

Could you tell us which program you're following?

Lifting 2 days a week is fine as long as you're either doing 2 full body workouts or a split of upper and lower body.
  • mink63
    mink63 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! Last time I checked no one replied and now I wake up to some great advice:) I'm using p90x but I mostly do the cardio workouts (cardio, plyo, kempo) but I also do the leg video and ab ripper 1 or 2 times a weeks each. I do the plyo 3 or 4 times a week and most days I add the cardio or kempo in the evening because I'm addicted to cardio lol! But seriously, I don't want to end up saggy and boney so I think I need to increase the weight training. My bmr is 1660 and my ttee is 1880. I usually eat about 1500-1600 caloroes a day. I use the p90x calories burned calculator.
  • mink63
    Options
    Oh and my carb protein fat ratio is 40/30/30. I usually go over on protein. I usually get 125-135 grams of protein a day. I eat clean (have been for about 10 years). I'm a very healthy eater, except big sugar binges a few times a year which I've finally gotten under control. I only have treats once a week or so and its usually just some dark chocolate. I've never been a junk food eater or anything like that. I gained 30 pd with my 2nd child and am just trying to lose the last bit of baby weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    20-30 minutes a day makes more sense than 60 minutes a day. Lifting heavy is also good to be able to eat more and improve your body composition.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! Last time I checked no one replied and now I wake up to some great advice:) I'm using p90x but I mostly do the cardio workouts (cardio, plyo, kempo) but I also do the leg video and ab ripper 1 or 2 times a weeks each. I do the plyo 3 or 4 times a week and most days I add the cardio or kempo in the evening because I'm addicted to cardio lol! But seriously, I don't want to end up saggy and boney so I think I need to increase the weight training. My bmr is 1660 and my ttee is 1880. I usually eat about 1500-1600 caloroes a day. I use the p90x calories burned calculator.

so basically you are eating under your BMR and exercising like a maniac. NOT GOOD.

BMR is what you need to live normally with no exercise at all. Just sitting at your desk all day, or in a choma.

If you are exercising 60mins cardio, you should be eating minimum 1660BMR + calories burnt (around 600 is a ball-park figure). So you should really look at eating 2300 a day... otherwise you will continue to just lose muscle and, as you put it, become saggy and boney :/
  • mink63
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I knew it wouldn't work the way I was doing it, but I have no dieting experience what so ever !
    I just thought more exercise has to be better and I got a little addicted! I'm going to find some high calorie protein powder. ( I've always had a huge problem with my appitite!). And I'm going to buy some heavier weights today. Looking foward to being sore!