Always getting shin splints when running, why?

Options
ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
This is getting ridiculous. I can do about two mintues of running before the pain of shin splints gets so bad I have to stop. I've pushed through before and could barely walk for a week. I have to be doing something wrong I just can't figure out what. I got new shoes thinking my old ones were run down and I still get the same pain. I'm not a novice exerciser either. I do bootcamp, lift heavy, tons of other cardio, I just can't seem to get this running thing right. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My husband gets this, another running we know told him to relax his ankles while running.

Meaning, don't keep his ankles stiff, that makes him heel strike which in turn was causing his shin splints.

He literally has to keep reminding himself to let his feet and ankles be "loose" while running and those shin splints go away!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints, too, so I walk instead of run. I asked somebody about it, who told me the front of my legs needed to be strengthened. They suggested sitting in a chair and lifting something with my feet/lower legs over and over.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Maybe your running shoes need to be replaced!
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've found that running on soft ground as opposed to asphalt has helped (I go to a circular track that is paved but is surrounded by dirt and grass so I just stay on the outside). Also looking in to purchasing some compression socks/hose as these are supposed to help as well.

Shin splints are no fun, hope you find something to help ya!
  • joolsabel
    Options
    If your getting shin splints then you should really stop and let them heal properly before you do yourself some real damage. Maybe stay clear of the running for a while and try low impact like spinning or cycling?

Your body is obviously trying to tell you something!!
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    check your shoes.you might need new inserts.
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe do cardio before lifting then rest a day and see what happens? Maybe it's the weights and then the impact on your shins....
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from ridiculous shin splints for years. To the point of them being crippling. The best thing you can do is try and rehab the muscles. If you google it there are tons of exercises that pop up. I personally find that heel and toe walking (walk on your heels with your toes up, walk on your tip toes) are the most successful for me. Also, ballet really helped me when I was doing it (again I think it was the tiptoe thing).

Also, as another person pointed out, SHOES! When I was fitted for shoes they put me in these super stabilizer things and they made my splints so much worse. So I switched up and got super soft shoes and that made a huge difference for me, far less pain.

Good luck!

(if none of this works, see a physical therapist)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you running in? Were you evaluated at a running store or did you just buy them independently?

Apart from that, I would say that you need to rest and heal completely before running again, and work on your calf strength. I do one-legged calf raises--stand on one leg, and get up on your toes while balancing on that one foot. Do that 15 times on each leg, repeat the set 3 to 5 times.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It's possible your doing a heel strike which is what I did until I change my running form to a mid-foot strike. It has definitely helped with shin splints and lower back pain for me. Check out www.goodrunningform.com. Also, go to a professional running store shop to have them assess what shoes your should be using and if you may need orthodics. Some stores offer running clinics too that help teach the right way to run. Until then make sure you give your legs plenty of rest. Best of luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have 3 suggestions for you:

1. Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes
    2. Take a form clinic (I like goodformrunning.com)
    3. Slow down
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    you said you got new shoes, are they specifically running shoes and do you use them only to run????
    this is very important. running shoes should not be worn daily, they wear out too quickly. they should be specifically designed for runners, and if possible fitted to your feet and your stride by someone who knows how to do it.
    also, make sure you are placing your foot right. landing on your toes is bad, some shoes are designed with cushioning in the heel so you can land on your heel and roll. But in general a mid-foot strike is best.

also, as someone suggested, running on pavement is hard on the joints. if at all possible, run on something with more give.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    1. Go to a minimalist shoe.
    2. Use a vibrator massager on the shins, feet, ankles, achilles and calves before and after running. I had chronic shin splints and am speaking from experience. Now I get up and go out - no stretching or warm ups. No more shin splints.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    SHOES! Go to a local runnng store and they will watch you walk, evaluate your current shoe wear pattern, and recommend the type of shoe for you.

I tried running multiple times in the past, always got shin splints and would quit after a month. Got the right shows, now I am training for a half marathon and have grown to LOVE running. I cannot recommend proper shoes enough.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I get this every time I start up running again. It eventually goes away. I like lightweight running shoes. I found it was my landing.
  • babsybabe28
    Options
    I have started power walking and I get shin splints. I have found the best thing to do is:
    1. stretches before and after exercise.
    2. rotate the ankles when sitting
    3.slow down and lessen your stride.

Good luck!! x
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had very flabby ankles with poor range of motion, which resulted in pronation and excruciating shin splints when I ran. I've spent the past 10 weeks working on balance and stability, (bosu ball squats and all sorts of functional rehab) now I have muscular ankles and six pack feet, better balance, less pronation and no shin splints.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm a novice runner, and I found myself with the same situation, and like yourself it was pretty much driving me mad. I changed my shoes as well, but also my speed and stride. Eventually after a few sessions I no longer get them. Try walking for a bit before you run to warm up a bit. Good luck.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Let them heal before you do more damage. Ice ice ice (I just got past them and was doing an ice massage 3x'sa day least) and stretch need to work the small muscles in your foot and legs. Google it there are lots. I like the alphabet with my big toe one.

Take your shoes back to the store. Tell them you tried them and they still got shin splints. Talk to them. Run midstep not heal. Keep your body loose.

Good luck.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the advice. I will check out the running form website. I am a heal-striker when I run for sure which may be the problem. I'm also very uptight when I run thinking I'm trying to hold form. You guys are life savers! Thanks!