In search of calorie friendly biscuits and gravy

Options
2»

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Make the Biscuits with Bisquick Heart Smart mix and the gravy with Turkey sausage and low fat milk. I do not have my recipe near me otherwise I would post for you.
  • jenniferduff37
    Options
    My husband makes the best biscuits and gravy -- but they're not friendly to my weight loss goals -- I appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts -- I'm just going to indulge sparingly and enjoy each careful bite!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You may as well be searching for the holy grail. :laugh:

Seriously, what I do is limit my portions. I will have just one biscuit and about a half cup of gravy. Then I will add either bacon or sausage and eat a lighter lunch.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump--lots of good suggestions
  • cindyb305
    Options
    Don't know if this helps, but, it's a thought.... I know there are reduced fat biscuits out there. Southeastern Mills makes several types of gravy mixes, which I think are quite good, and, they were pretty low points on Weight Watchers. It's got to be better than the full fat stuff!
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump, Yum!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Skip the biscuits and have the gravy over scrambled eggs. Lots of protein but far less carbs and fat.

Otherwise, just have a big ol' bowl of gravy and love every minute of it. Then go workout.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Skip the biscuits and have the gravy over scrambled eggs. Lots of protein but far less carbs and fat.

Otherwise, just have a big ol' bowl of gravy and love every minute of it. Then go workout.

Eww... Maybe hash browns, but not on eggs. Ick!
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    From the Prevention website:

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/sausage-gravy-and-biscuits.aspx

GRAVY
    1/2 pound turkey breakfast sausage, casings removed
    3 cups fat-free milk
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

I doubled the recipe since the breakfast sausage comes in a 1 lb roll and then froze the extras individually. It will look kind of lumpy and weird when it's unthawed, but it looks and tastes just as good and fresh once it is warmed back up in the microwave. Just add a bit of water to the thawed gravy when warming.

I would use 1/2 cup of the gravy with 1 biscuit made from the Bisquick Heart Smart baking mix.

EDITED to include that my 1 biscuit and 1/2 cup of gravy is 200-215 calories. I usually get about 2 more biscuits out of the bisquick. (I use the roll out method). That means the biscuits are about 100 calories each and 1/2 cup of the gravy would be between 100 and 115....give or take a few calories.