Does anyone record shopping as exercise?

Options
I went shopping today for around 3 hours, we only stopped once so were practically on the go the whole time. Should i log this in MFP?

If so what do i log it as??
Thanks
Emma

Replies

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's up to you whether you log it - but if you did, maybe under Walking..
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yes, created my own exercise. For now I am guessing at 150 calories for 2 hrs or running around doing errands/grocery shopping/walking around in the building at work. Once I get my pedometer/with calorie counter I will be able to be more precise. It is for sure a workout!
    :smile:
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't, and don't log anything that's not "exercise". As in, if I'm not going to the gym for it, running, etc.

So shopping, definitely not.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on whether or not that is in your normal routine. for me right now, being on my feet for 2-3 hours is out of the norm b/c I just had surgery, so I would log it. but before my surgery, I was on my feet for 6 hours a day and so shopping would just be considered normal activity so I wouldn't have logged it. sounds like a fun day either way! :smile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I always do, I log anything that is not part of normal daily activity. 3 hours walking around a shopping centre is a killer. I log it as walking 2 mph.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I logged it yesterday. Anything that I don't do EVERY SINGLE DAY I log.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, even though I don't do it every day. Not saying you shouldn't- do what you feel you need to. It's your journey.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't.
    its not something I do every day however there are days when I am over in calories and days when I am not exact (even if I try to be). These types of extra burns help balance those. I just consider it a bonus.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I logged shopping today as "slow walking". Three hours round the shops and I was starving when I got home- it must have done someting becuase I had a massive lunch.

I really only logged it today because on Sundays I eat my mum's roast dinner followed by homemade dessert and that meal in itself can come over my daily goal.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I do. If so, it's under slow walking and I don't record all of it (for example: 30 minutes instead of 60 because I figure I was not walking ALL the time!)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think thats up to you. For me personally, I don't log shopping trips, cleaning or anything that isn't exercise. But that is just my preference.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I believe your calories are based on "normal" activity and shopping is a normal activity......
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Get a Fitbit, the steps would go towards your daily goal plus it would record your energy output.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Buy a fitbit or a pedometer then you list it as walking. Fitbit would even add it right to your diary for you. The wonders of modern Technology. Good luck.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I log just my workouts, not shopping, cleaning, mowing the yard, etc. I figure those things will take care of the discrepancies in calories in the foods I log or even the discrepancies in the exercise calories burned I logged since I do not use an HRM. I don't use that just to make my calories for the day look better either. I cleaned my carpets and whole house last weekend and did not log any of it and it was a heck of a workout.
  • dw61574
    dw61574 Posts: 11
    Options
    I log it, if you are tracking calories, Would you add hamburgers to your MFP if you eat hamburgers everyday? Your still burning calories. Doesn't matter if it's routine or not.
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your activity level is set at for MFP. I would because mine is set at sedentary but if you are set at one of the active settings I would not because that should already be built into your calorie allowance.
  • honeydawn329
    honeydawn329 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts on here. If it is not something you do every day or at least every other day, then I would count it. Today I actually counted light housework. I never would have, but today has been a mojor cleaning day with me doing it for over 3 hours straight and then I had to stand for an hour. So I just logged 2 hours of light cleaning cause this is way more than usual. And I still have a couple more hours I need to squeeze in before bed. But again, I would only count it if it is out of your norm.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    The only time I do is if I walk to where I'm shopping, so I created my own exercise: Walking/Shopping (I'm usually walking at least a mile to get to these stores). Before I do this I always start my Fitbit or I wear my HRM so that I can record how many calories I'm burning.

That said, I very rarely just shop for three hours, so I probably would record a session like that. Create your own exercise or, as others have said, record it as "Slow Walking." Remember, though, that the MFP exercise algorithm tends to overestimate calories burned, so I hope you have some way of getting a more accurate calorie count.
  • sandraha84
    sandraha84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I log shopping for two hours or more at 2 MPH since I'm very seldom on my feet that long. I also log cleaning my house on weekends because it takes me four hours to do so. you can go to www.fatburn.com, put in your weight and what you done and it will give you calories burned. I also just purchased the Bodymedia and it works great. It automatically logs any thing extra I do into Myfitness for me. It also shows me how many more calories I need to burn to reach that 1,000 deficit I'm looking for to lose two pounds a week.