Hot Yoga! (Bikram Yoga!)

Options
2»

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I know Jillian Michaels recommends not doing it.

Then the UN should ban bikram yoga.
  • jcpolk1856
    jcpolk1856 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I took my wife to bikram for the first time (well first time for both of us). I'm 6'1, 230lbs, and she is 5'0 140lbs-ish. I had trouble with most of the poses but my goal is to achieve proper form first then my goal is to progress to the fullest pose (Camel Pose wow that's rough). it isn't for everyone though. about 85min in i felt like i was going to die on the towel but we both managed to get through it and will go back. My wife, who doesn't do anything real strenuous besides zumba, was amazed that she could do bikram for 90min
  • janmul
    janmul Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm still trying to find out how to calculate calories burned when I do a Bikram class (90mins). I've been doing it for about 1 month or so now...very tough...the only thing that got me going back is that for the first time ever I no longer have lower back pain or shoulder pain. Now, if someone had of asked me if I have any chronic pain I would have said "no"...so my pain wasn't debilitating but it would certainly wake me through the night sometimes so I could roll over to be more comfrotable...not anymore...so that is why I keep going. It's not my only exercise...I do some running too....but have cut down on those distances right now b/c of some issues with my knees...I must say I have NO pain after Yoga - that night or the day after. I do agree you can over stretch - that is a danger - I seem to keep doing it with my hamstrings. I'm not so sure the heat is great for you...I agree...and you certainly need to eat properly and hydrate before and after...but I go b/c I feel better...that's what I'm basing it on right now.

So I am babbling...can anyone recommend what I should enter for calories burned for 90 mins of Bikram - I'm 5 foot 4 inches - 150 lbs (hopefully not for long as this is the heaviest I've been other than when I was pregnant!)...any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Janice
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Your experience with Bikram, like any yoga, or any exercise class really, will depend on your instructor. Do your research. Find a reputable yoga studio. Keep yourself properly hydrated and nourished. Don't push through things that seem wrong to you, and don't return to a class that you did not enjoy. Some people need to practice common sense.
  • mtbardell2013
    Options
    It is definitely easy to get dehydrated! Do not drink coffee before class (I learned this the hard way), because your heart is already pounding all through class and coffee is super dehydrating, too.
    It's all about being prepared, just drink a lot of water the evening before a morning class, some super diluted sugar/salt water 1 hour before class, then properly hydrate after class.

love love love hot yoga! It has also helped my jogging, mood, skin, etc. etc.